Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 M3 LR is very soon out of full warranty. Should I keep it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just under 80,000 kms in less then 3 years so my basic warranty is almost over. The car has been great with the exception of the suspension/rattle issues that have been basically replaced on all 4 corners;)
Would like to hear from folks who have Model 3's out of warranty and what their experiences have been. My BMW 535ix that I previously owned I definatetly did not want to own out of warranty, for example.
Now the Tesla is not in the same hemisphere for reliability but I am curious. Thanks!

Reactions: Dinevski
Our 2020 MY just went out of warranty at 80k so similar situation. Keeping it - it’s been pain free so far and with so few moving parts I think chances are it will generally stay that way. Battery and motor warranty are still good for a long while yet - they’d be the major things to worry about I think.

I had German vehicles too and it’s definitely a gamble keeping them outside warranty. I recently watched a video of a guy cataloguing all the issues he’d had with his Cayenne after warranty and it was horrifying - just so many complex, difficult to fix and expensive repairs, even when he did the work himself. And every single one of those repairs was on things that don’t exist on an EV.

Just passed 146k on a 2018 LR M3. Basic warranty ended in like 2.5 years 'cause I reached 80k. Rear motor busted at around 90k :eek:. Everything fixed under the battery and drive unit warranty (LR/Performance is 8 years or 192k, SR is 8 years or 160k) 😅. Hadn't had to fix anything else out of warranty so far (knock on wood) so nothing out of pocket other than tires, wipers, washer fluid, and cabin filters. Battery degradation at about 3.5%. I plan to drive it for a very long time. If the motor fails again or the battery falls below 70% capacity, then as long as its under 192k and 8 years, it should get replaced all under warranty. If outside warranty, should still be ok. The motor replacement didn't seem significantly expensive. And for local area driving, even a LR battery at 50% degradation would be more than enough.