Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The auto-Homelink was fun at first, but in practice I was always frightening my family when pulling out my car so they had more room to get in. They would be standing in the entrance to the garage, and the car was always trying to close the garage door on their heads.

You can turn that feature off. Personally, I think one would have to be insane to use the auto close feature, anyway.

You can turn that feature off. Personally, I think one would have to be insane to use the auto close feature, anyway.

One would also need to have it work :)

Auto-open as I approach front of car toward garage works 100%.

Close? auto, manual, whatever- with the rear of the car pointing at the garage works almost never... usually have to turn the car around and manually hit the screen button to close it, then turn back around to leave.

Losing Homelink was an unpleasant discovery for me on delivery day.

I've learned to live without it. Homelink in most cars is a button or buttons on the roof, intuitive and useful. Homelink in Tesla is in an awkward place on the touchscreen. If you only have one garage - which I assume is true for most people - then you have to open the drop down list and then touch your (single) Homelink entry.

The auto-Homelink was fun at first, but in practice I was always frightening my family when pulling out my car so they had more room to get in. They would be standing in the entrance to the garage, and the car was always trying to close the garage door on their heads.
Nope, when I get home the list of home links automatically appears, with the one you at the location of in green. Also you can use the phone app to open and close the garage if your car is in range (except when the phone app gets the location wrong). So it's the same one button push as other cars.

Auto-open as I approach front of car toward garage works 100%.

Close? auto, manual, whatever- with the rear of the car pointing at the garage works almost never... usually have to turn the car around and manually hit the screen button to close it, then turn back around to leave.

We use auto-open, auto-close 24/7/365. And we reverse into our single space garage. So when we leave the rear faces the car. It’s been amazing. We pull into our community at the garage opens and mirrors fold. When we leave, we pull right out and mirrors open up as well, and garage closes behind us. Never had a single issue yet in that setting.

What is annoying is at my parents home which is now also programmed. When the car is leaving the driveway and starts to close and if someone else is trying to back out as well, or is walking out. We just have to adjust for that/turn the feature off at this location.

Pro-tip - Order your homelink as soon as you get a VIN. I ordered mine after delivery and it’s close to 6 weeks of waiting for it to ship to the SC for installation.

One tip I got from the forums is to not wait for the DC to contact you, but rather schedule a service to have the homelink installed and put the order number in the ticket. That is what I did about a week after I ordered and had it installed a week later by a mobile service tech. To this day I never got an email that the homelink shipped.

Reactions: ACDCAC
One tip I got from the forums is to not wait for the DC to contact you, but rather schedule a service to have the homelink installed and put the order number in the ticket. That is what I did about a week after I ordered and had it installed a week later by a mobile service tech. To this day I never got an email that the homelink shipped.
This. I gave it a couple of weeks after ordering Homelink, never heard a peep on the order status. Scheduled mobile service referencing my order number and date, and just asked to have it installed if the part was available. Tech came out a few business days later & installed it in my driveway. If I hadn't proactively scheduled service, I'm sure I'd still be waiting on a status update on my order...

Reactions: ACDCAC
Thank you for asking this! Yes, the MAXpiders fit great on my made in Nov 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with dead pedal, and bought a new set for my wife's made in Dec 2019 Model 3 SR+ that has no dead pedall, and they fit great there too. I don't have a picture to share just yet, I'll try to grab one when the car is back home. Meanwhile, I've notated that they fit in my article at this spot. Thank you!

This. I gave it a couple of weeks after ordering Homelink, never heard a peep on the order status. Scheduled mobile service referencing my order number and date, and just asked to have it installed if the part was available. Tech came out a few business days later & installed it in my driveway. If I hadn't proactively scheduled service, I'm sure I'd still be waiting on a status update on my order...

@Kimo and @Zakath , after the mobile tech installed the Homelink device near the front bumper, did they do anything else special or did the car recognized the Homelink device right away?

Anyone had luck yet on 2020 all weather mats? Was looking at these and they make a point to state that 2020 has a fit change, resulting in a gap in the rear mats. I wonder is maxpider ones still fit 2020?

When I had my 2018 Model 3, I used the 3D Maxpider all weather mats. When I got the 2020 Model 3, I transferred the mats over and they still fit, just a little tighter.

floormat rear 3d maxspyder.JPG
Anyone had luck yet on 2020 all weather mats? Was looking at these and they make a point to state that 2020 has a fit change, resulting in a gap in the rear mats. I wonder is maxpider ones still fit 2020?
I took a photo of my wife's 2020 Tesla Model 3 rear 3D MAXpider mats (sorry it's winter, salt everywhere, real-world), and they seem to fit fine.

That said, those "EA #1 Tesla Model 3 Floor Mats" you found with no logos do look quite promising, and seem to cover the rear a little more thoroughly, which is likely why they may have bumped into an issue with fit. Actually, whatever the change turns out to be, it could have happened any time of year, and your post is the first I heard mention of this, thank you! There are many different past examples of any time of year design changes in my differences article.

Last edited:
View attachment 508526
I took a photo of my wife's 2020 Tesla Model 3 rear 3D MAXpider mats (sorry it's winter, salt everywhere, real-world), and they seem to fit fine.

That said, those "EA #1 Tesla Model 3 Floor Mats" you found with no logos do look quite promising, and seem to cover the rear a little more thoroughly, which is likely why they may have bumped into an issue with fit. Actually, whatever the change turns out to be, it could have happened any time of year, and your post is the first I heard mention of this, thank you! There are many different past examples of any time of year design changes in my differences article.

Can you comment or share pictures on any differences for the 3D MAXpider mats from the 2019 - 2020 Model 3. I am upgrading from a 2019 SR+ to a 2020 LR and was wondering if the mats would still fit despite all of the changes to interior. Specifically looking for differences in the passenger foot well and the frunk; however, any additional info on the subject would be appreciated.

@Kimo and @Zakath , after the mobile tech installed the Homelink device near the front bumper, did they do anything else special or did the car recognized the Homelink device right away?

My install required the tech to connect to the 3 and update the software in preparation for the homelink install. He then powered off and disconnected the 3s main battery pack. He then installed the homelink. Once done he powered the 3 back up and verified the new homelink icon appeared. (required 2 reboots). Once the icon was there, all was done and I was able to setup my garage.

With our garage door as well as the gate to the driveway of my parents in law auto-open as well as auto-close works a treat.

It didn't work at all when I got my car though, and was terrible and buggy after one of the first updates.
But ever since there was a dedicated update sometime in mid-2019 for European customers that was supposed to solve problems with Homelink hardware from local manufacturers, I have not had a problem anymore.

My install required the tech to connect to the 3 and update the software in preparation for the homelink install. He then powered off and disconnected the 3s main battery pack. He then installed the homelink. Once done he powered the 3 back up and verified the new homelink icon appeared. (required 2 reboots). Once the icon was there, all was done and I was able to setup my garage.

Thanks for your response. It now makes me think that by just plugging in the module and rebooting the car would get the Homelink module to be recognized and useable. If not, looks like I'll have to pay for enabling it from manual install.

Thanks for your response. It now makes me think that by just plugging in the module and rebooting the car would get the Homelink module to be recognized and useable. If not, looks like I'll have to pay for enabling it from manual install.

There is an action (first item on my response) the tech has to do to assign the feature in order for the car to recognize the installed module. I think without this step the car won't recognize/display the homelink button. It may be possible for Tesla to do this remotely.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
There is an action (first item on my response) the tech has to do to assign the feature in order for the car to recognize the installed module. I think without this step the car won't recognize/display the homelink button. It may be possible for Tesla to do this remotely.

Ok. Looks like I'll have to negotiate a reasonable price for it. Thanks for the clarification.