Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What has changed?

Tesla is now selling model year cars like other car manufacturers, before the year begins. As we know, previously (like the beginning of this year), in order to get a "2019 Model 3", the car would have needed to have been made in 2019. Other car manufacturers sold 2019 model year cars in 2018, usually starting somewhere between july and september.

Now, 2020 Tesla model 3s are being delivered as of Nov 1 of 2019, with vin numbers showing model year 2020, etc.

Imagine that Tesla was getting requests from customers to hold deliveries until they could get a 2020. Decided to label their current production to be 2020's, as not to get any possible EOY deliveries pushed out to next year.

Could also be done to assure that cars in shippment overseas, and scheduled for delivery some time out, get the 2020 dating.

This while model year thing has to be a gigantic hassle for Tesla. They would much rather their cars be dated the date of manufacture. Would be much more clear for everyone.

Practically identical. Maybe some minor minor adjustments (like no bag clips in frunk) but if you found a good match I would go for it. Some have made the point that resale value may be higher with the 2020 next to the name, but hard to say at this point since there really isn't any difference. Will come down to if purchasers know that about Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
The other day while charging my car at a Supercharger I talked to a young man that was also charging his. He proudly claimed his Model 3 was a 2020 model and added that he is the youngest 3 owner in the United States. Said he was 16. We compared cars and the tail lights and his charge port door seemed slightly different than the one on my early 2018 model.
I didn't realize Tesla had 2020 models in 2019.

@tarballqc

Unless you are going to hold onto the car for many, many years, I would suggest getting the 2020 (they are out in the wild now - don't have to wait until January as Tesla now seems to map to what other OEM's do), assuming the acquisition price is the same or similar. Trading sound deadening for Fruck hooks is a good trade as well! YMMV.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Imagine that Tesla was getting requests from customers to hold deliveries until they could get a 2020. Decided to label their current production to be 2020's, as not to get any possible EOY deliveries pushed out to next year.

Could also be done to assure that cars in shippment overseas, and scheduled for delivery some time out, get the 2020 dating.

This while model year thing has to be a gigantic hassle for Tesla. They would much rather their cars be dated the date of manufacture. Would be much more clear for everyone.
Could also be done to boost 4Q19 sales numbers...

I wouldn’t assume that a 2020 MY automatically means better sound insulation while a 2019 MY does not. I don’t know exactly when the production line was changed to incorporate the better sound insulation but it likely has nothing to do with when 2020 VINs started being issued.

I have both 19 & 20MY and here are the differences/changes:
1. I feel it's quieter while driving. Less wind noise from roof and window seals.
2. Window seals are stiffer rubber. Possible revised design or new vendor?
3. Fenders not touching the body at the A-pillar (the rust issue)
4. Slightly stiffer trunk carpet lining. (sides and where trunk lights mount)
5. No frunk carpet mat from factory anymore.

Everything else I have examined is identical. As ownership time continues I may find more differences