Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only recent changes are Tesla trying to improve their margins by reducing cost. Change of suppliers, redesign parts, removal of small features and accessories (like removal of some lights etc)

Change to better sound proofing occurred before around end of May.

In any case, Tesla doesn't have a 2020 model per say, they improve their car all the times.
This seems right. My late June build is quiet, and has a solid metal parcel shelf. You might find this thread interesting as well.
Trunk Top panel

I ordered mine on Sept. 26, and it arrived the day before 6 weeks passed. When I first got the VIN I called my insuror to get a commitment, and the home office insisted on a year for the car. I told them 2019, and they later decided on their own that it was 2020.

I had read comments on wind noise, and had set aside some $$ for the seal kit available aftermarket ... but I find that it is damned quiet and needs no silencing. Driving it here in snowy Wisconsin I find that it corrects quite nicely when the rear end steps out, and that weather below freezing (in an enclosed but unheated garage) eats a fair bit of juice even when parked. No surprise there, for even old technology lead-acid batteries lose strength when it gets that cold out.

Reactions: ccook and KJD
I ordered mine on Sept. 26, and it arrived the day before 6 weeks passed. When I first got the VIN I called my insuror to get a commitment, and the home office insisted on a year for the car. I told them 2019, and they later decided on their own that it was 2020.

I had read comments on wind noise, and had set aside some $$ for the seal kit available aftermarket ... but I find that it is damned quiet and needs no silencing. Driving it here in snowy Wisconsin I find that it corrects quite nicely when the rear end steps out, and that weather below freezing (in an enclosed but unheated garage) eats a fair bit of juice even when parked. No surprise there, for even old technology lead-acid batteries lose strength when it gets that cold out.
9/26 order here as well for my 20MY. And yes.... 20s are very quiet and I'm pleased with the lack of noise vs. my 19. The only reason I would get a door seal kit is to keep door jambs clean.

Cross-posting, sorry.... Guess I should have posted this observation here instead...

EPA Efficiency Numbers 2020 vs. 2019 - Tesla Model 3 SR+ Takes Crown

Strictly speaking, this change is probably retroactive to 2019 and 2018 of course. Guess we will see!

Note that they have apparently "corrected" the Stealth Performance numbers on fueleconomy.gov so now the Stealth Performance and the AWD match in efficiency and range. Was not the case two weeks ago. Just noticed the change today. So much for trying to use the 990 vs. 980 motor difference as an explanation...apparently there is no difference after all. Still no test cycle documents published for 2020 so still waiting on seeing whether anything has been voluntarily derated (I don't know whether they can derate efficiency as well as range (I don't think so?)...)

Two weeks ago:
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.12.01 PM.png

Now:
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.07.56 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and Arpe
i got my model 3 sleeper/stealth 11/16 and only drove about 40 miles first two days but i noticed that the wind noise on the highway was pretty high. i am ordering the seal that covers outside between the glasses so hopefully that will make the noise go away!

Is this true? My understanding is that EPA ratings are provided by the manufacturer based on dyno test results with appropriate drag coefficients, on individual articles - it is not simulated. That being said I am not clear on the SR EPA vs the SR+.

Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA

There are full tests for LR RWD, AWD, MR, and SR+. So far I see no test documents for Tesla 2020 models.

Previously Performance was the same as AWD due to low take rate and otherwise was the same vehicle. Performance 18” also can no longer be combined with AWD presumably because it has a different drive unit. Rating is better than AWD anyway, so they call it out.

Probably in 2020 they could lump the Performance PUP in with Performance 18” because it is probably low enough take rate, but out of basic decency it appears they are not going to do that.

In fact, they call out Performance 20”, 19”, and 18” individually in the ratings now. If you read between the lines I think you can conclude that all the Performance models are also getting an efficiency boost (not surprising), but it is difficult to compare apples to apples except in the 18” flavor.

Dyno tests are a simulation, they simulate driving. They don't simulate it well so you have to modify the numbers for the missing aero effects, temperature differences, and so on.

So I'd say @Uncle Paul is very correct to call it a simulation.

I'd also ask how you think 2020 Mid range numbers got in there. It's a config that isn't sold. I'd wager that a Tesla employee just submitted an entry for a car that doesn't exist without any specific testing of such configuration.

I'd also ask how you think 2020 Mid range numbers got in there. It's a config that isn't sold. I'd wager that a Tesla employee just submitted an entry for a car that doesn't exist without any specific testing of such configuration.

They are the same numbers from 2018 when they tested this model on the dyno.

My point was just that all the numbers are based on a dyno result (which uses coefficients to simulate drag, etc.) at some point. I’m not aware that the results can be entirely simulated, based on what we see in the test documents. Has to be some real test article backing it up at some point.

Given EVs don't pay gasoline tax, which funds roads, that makes perfect sense they pay more into transit funds another way.

NC started doing it this year. The extra amount is still significantly less than I used to pay in gasoline taxes... so I'd expect these kinds of fees will need to go up further as EVs gain larger market share if you don't want the roads in your state going to crap.

You get a very nice surprise if you are in CA.

While some states are still offering incentives for electric vehicle buyers, California will soon become the biggest state to start charging fees for EV ownership. California is estimated to account for about half of the country's EV sales, so the state is keen on recuperating some of the money it won't be making from gasoline taxes.

The fees will take effect starting with 2020 model year plug-in vehicles, Autoblog reports. Those vehicles will have one-time $100 registration fee upfront, followed by and annual registration fee that varies based on the market value of the vehicle. On the low end, the fees are $25 for a vehicle valued at less than $5,000, but anyone with a $60,000-plus plug-in vehicle will be paying $175 per year to keep their tags up to date.
I understand this but.......what mileage is it based on ...12k, 13k miles per year.......what about those of us who drive less than 5k per year......I wouldn't put it past our crooked governor to make EV owners to start taking pictures of the odometers......some insurance companies do this now, but I am sure there are ways to get around it.......in the case of Tesla, our "T" screen shows the vin number and the total mileage, so it would work......but then what is the tax rate to be used

• Helpful
Reactions: CZero