Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN with the "K" is 2019, "L" is 2020 model. Differences: Towing capacity (Europe): 910 vs 1000 Kg, KW-power engine 1/2: 155/195 vs 158/203. The other changes as described before. Most positive is the sound level.

Hah, good for you! I sort of think it's a little crazy that Tesla removed these things from even the flagship Model 3 (yeah yeah a penny saved is a penny earned, but where does it stop?).

Does anyone believe that the reduction in these 5 or so parts really saves money?

This just can't be a financial decision alone.

Kinda sad that, at the very least, the premium models didn’t retain this hardware

It's not just the parts savings- which absolutely adds up. Let's say it pulls $50 per car out in cost.. if they're gonna build 500k cars in 2020 that's 25 million bucks a year.

It's also the fact they don't have to incur added MFG complexity and cost by building different versions. They don't have to change anything on the line for the "premium" cars vs the regular ones, or back again.

See also the original non-premium interior they decided wasn't worth the manufacturing (or parts/supply chain) complexity to even use rather than just put the same seats/console/etc in every 3.

• Informative
Reactions: SaloonGoon
Yes. Those are omitted from production starting Sept. 1 2019.
Not entirely. My car is a Sep '19 build, and I have the PWS, I do have the Frunk clips, and all the lights. I did not get frunk/trunk mats. I did get the J1772 adapter and a NEMA 5-15 mobile charger. I did not get USB cables for the phone mount at first, but I asked and my delivery dude snuck me a trio- USB-C, Micro-USB, and whatever Apple called their iDevice cables back then, gratis.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter