Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention no rear door pocket lights either, also a blank hole, with no wiring visible inside. Also a different door pocket bottom liner in the rear. I'll keep updating my differences article with details, for those interested. Just recorded a thorough video of 27 differences I've noticed (so far) between my two Model 3s, now just need to edit all those clips together when time permits...

I prefer a metal dead pedal, in place of the bare carpet that would wear out....but my car's OEM carpet-mats actually extends to the dead pedal space. You guys didn't get that? Fine enough solution for me, since carpets usually wear out at the brake/accel heel first, anyway.

Would really like for the app to heat the seats, without having to blow air to the cabin though.

Whether it's the OEM plastic dead pedal, or just black carpet, in our two Model 3s, they're both covered over with 3D MAXpider mats anyway, and I didn't even notice the dead pedal missing until I read about it. For those shopping for pedal cover sets, when looking at some of those Amazon listings for dead pedal covers, most are talking about covering over the plastic, and aren't designed for folks who don't have the plastic pedal to cover, just black only carpet.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention no rear door pocket lights either, also a blank hole, with no wiring visible inside. Also a different door pocket bottom liner in the rear. I'll keep updating my differences article with details, for those interested. Just recorded a thorough video of 27 differences I've noticed (so far) between my two Model 3s, now just need to edit all those clips together when time permits...
I hadn't seen the teslatap link about the speaker differences before. According to that writeup, the only audio difference between SR and SR+ with upgraded audio is a single front tweeter and the Immersive Sound option? I was expecting more...

I hadn't seen the teslatap link about the speaker differences before. According to that writeup, the only audio difference between SR and SR+ with upgraded audio is a single front tweeter and the Immersive Sound option? I was expecting more...

I wouldn't discount the sound processing as it does make a difference. I like that is subtle but enhances the listening experience. They should allow people to purchase the software upgrade for that. Not sure how much that tweeter makes a difference but I bet its also pretty subtle but works together with the processing.

Hi everyone! My first post here on TMC!

I just took delivery of my Model 3 LR December 29th. I originally stood in line and preordered day one March 2016. I was financially reprioritized the last several years but was finally able to place my real order December 3rd 2019!

Since I’ve devoted so much time to learning about Tesla and it’s cars etc. I must say I am somewhat disappointed in some of the missing features found in this thread. Namely the ambient door lights and frunk hooks. Everything else makes little difference to me as far as I can tell.

None of these things are deal breakers but they do leave you feeling like little touches are being omitted that should not be.

Here is my opinion on why the door lights are gone. I think it actually has something do do with the doors being quieter. The 2020 does have a better more quiet and solid feel to it overall IMO. I remember test driving a 2018 performance and being a bit disappointed in the way the doors sounded when I closed them. I also noticed a hollow unappealing sound coming from the front end while driving. Even so, I overlooked this minor issues because the car is so amazing and nothing can be perfect!

So my hypothesis is that extra door insulation has been added to the doors and this made keeping the ambient lights either too difficult or cost inefficient. Whether this is true or not, it’s what I’m going to choose to believe since I love how solid the doors seem now.

Like many others, I don’t care too much about the actual usability of the frunk hooks/clips. What bothers me most about this is the unsightly unfinished look. It’s one thing if they never had them to begin with, but to just drop them seems lame. I’m hopping they will realize the error here and bring them back! Yes, I will even be happy to order the part if they make them available again. For $50K I think they should just provide them to those that want them though.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51

Nice details but is comparing a 2018 long range AWD and a 2020 short range meaningful? Is SR and LR meant to be exactly the same except for battery size?

Nice details but is comparing a 2018 long range AWD and a 2020 short range meaningful? Is SR and LR meant to be exactly the same except for battery size?
Well, good point, but they're the only Model 3s I have access to, to show first-hand. My new 4K video of 30 differences is (hopefully) clearer about which changes are due to model year versus trim level. Given the changes come at pretty much any time of year and not just model year, it is kind of complicated.

I'm from Canada and I recently just traded in my 2019 model 3 for the 2020 one. There are some stuff that I've noticed,

No charging cables for your phones.
No adapter for the higher voltage port(same for a dryer).
No fog lights anymore.
no Frunk hooks.
Annoying noise emitter at low speed/in reverse mode.
The car overall feels slightly more comfortable and stable.
Autopilot included.
Steering wheel material changed.
Lost premium connectivity.
Backup camera seems to be more clear.
Seats seems to be a little bit different(more comfortable).

Most importantly, am I going crazy or does the 2020 model 3 sr+ feels slower than the 2019 model 3 sr+?

It's starting to make me think I made the bad choice here. Though, Tesla gave me a really high trade in value so essentially I'm only paying 3k more but now my car has white interior and 19 inch sports wheels.

I'm from Canada and I recently just traded in my 2019 model 3 for the 2020 one. There are some stuff that I've noticed,

No charging cables for your phones.
No adapter for the higher voltage port(same for a dryer).
No fog lights anymore.
no Frunk hooks.
Annoying noise emitter at low speed/in reverse mode.
The car overall feels slightly more comfortable and stable.
Autopilot included.
Steering wheel material changed.
Lost premium connectivity.
Backup camera seems to be more clear.
Seats seems to be a little bit different(more comfortable).

Most importantly, am I going crazy or does the 2020 model 3 sr+ feels slower than the 2019 model 3 sr+?

It's starting to make me think I made the bad choice here. Though, Tesla gave me a really high trade in value so essentially I'm only paying 3k more but now my car has white interior and 19 inch sports wheels.
Re: that trade-in... how many miles did you have on your 2018 SR+? That’s incredible that you only paid $3k more considering you essentially just paid for the extra options (white seats/19” wheels)!!

Yeah, it was such a great trade in deal even the staff were confused by it. If I didn't take the extra options I would've gotten a new model 3 and made 1k at the same time. Though, I am getting 13k incentive at the moment which may explain why it's such a good deal.

The SR+ had a little over 15,000 km on it.

Reactions: PNWLeccy