Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm from Canada and I recently just traded in my 2019 model 3 for the 2020 one.
Most importantly, am I going crazy or does the 2020 model 3 sr+ feels slower than the 2019 model 3 sr+?
As far as the changes, I've got those documented here.
Can't really say if there's something up with your car, and not sure what model you have. For us, just 2 data points for you. My 2018 LR AWD does 0-60 in 4.28 sec on the dragy, and my wife's 2020 SR+ is 5.19 sec, documented here. Both exceed what the Tesla.com pages said when we placed each of the orders, car details in my signature below.

• Informative
Reactions: J-Ho
I traded in a 2019 MR for a 2020 P3D- today.

Only 20 miles on it so far, but my main observations on the differences between the cars

• No frunk carpet at all (hook exposed, quite tacky)
  • No Homelink
  • Annoying spaceship sound when reversing
  • No Nema 14-50 adapter included

(I "forgot" to turn in the Nema adapter and the frunk carpet with my trade)

Did Tesla give you a decent trade? I was thinking about upgrading my LR RWD, but not sure it's worth taking the hit.

Did Tesla give you a decent trade?

My expectations are always low when trading to a dealer, but I was pleasantly surprised. 8 months and 7000 miles. My MR had FSD for a total cost to me of $48k and Tesla gave me $42,300. If you count the offset tax savings, that was an effective sales price of ~ 43,800. I don't think I could have gotten more in a private sale, not without a lot of work on my part. And of course I'm going to claim the federal EV tax credit, even though I no longer own the car.

Or Frunk carpet. Mine does now but I had to raise the roof to get them. I said the car you display on the showroom has them, my gf liked that. Where are they?
It's not uncommon for showroom cars (not just Teslas, but at any dealer) to have nonstandard options on display. That's how they get ya.

I got no Trunk or Frunk carpeting with my September 2019, but this was a known omission from earlier in the year. I did get front and rear carpet floor mats, though I did replace them (conveniently just before the first real rainfall) with all-weathers. The OEM mats are rolled up in a storage closet.

I have both 19 & 20MY and here are the differences/changes:
1. I feel it's quieter while driving. Less wind noise from roof and window seals.
2. Window seals are stiffer rubber. Possible revised design or new vendor?
3. Fenders not touching the body at the A-pillar (the rust issue)
4. Slightly stiffer trunk carpet lining. (sides and where trunk lights mount)
5. No frunk carpet mat from factory anymore.

Everything else I have examined is identical. As ownership time continues I may find more differences
Hi, since you own both 2019 and 2020, care to give us more details here?
Tesla Model 3 LR 2020 P and AWD Rated Range Display Thread

The interesting bit is consumption constant under Energy tab and the total km under rated range at 100%? Thank you!

Better version of my comparison video now posted, in 4K:

I am surprised that the rear deck has no whole anymore.

It must reduce the noise coming from the rear wheels/trunk but what about the bass from the sound system? I read closing the whole would reduce bass level, in my mind it seems it would. I'm currently doing lot of work in my car, the rear seats are removed so I can't test but when I reassemble everything, it's a test that I will do... but if someone has time to compare the bass in premium models w/ and w/o the whole, it's be great. Actually, someone with a 2019 could do that compare as well... but need to install a plate w/ 3m tape or?! otherwise I will do that test later.

Good video! when discussing the frunk mat @ 2min mark, you mention a hard metal plate underneath. That plate has also been removed in later models. Seems to be some sort of lightweight reinforcement. I imagine its no longer needed, wonder if the tub is thicker.
Could you point me to an article or pictures of a change in that metal plate in the frunk?

upload_2020-1-20_18-2-5.png

I was seriously thinking to order the newer rubber seals but I tested my late Dec 2018 M3 seals and they are already quite stiff, much enough I wonder if there could have been 2 manufacturers for late 2018 rush?

Next week I plan to go to my local Tesla store and touch that rubber myself. I am hoping to find a stiffer rubber, either way I'll definitely try to report back here later.

Maybe there's a thread for this, but just in case anyone that got the 2020 model 3 and wants to get rid of the annoying sound. Though, first check if it's legal in your area.

Thanks for the Video.

Abstract Ocean sells a 3D printed - $10.00 male / female adapter to plug in the speaker and wire ends after disconnecting the PWS. This will prevent water damage to either end of the connector. I’d also tape the disconnected wire back to itself vs leaving it dangling to avoid a “new” rattling sound.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
I'm from Canada and I recently just traded in my 2019 model 3 for the 2020 one. There are some stuff that I've noticed,

No charging cables for your phones.
No adapter for the higher voltage port(same for a dryer).
No fog lights anymore.
no Frunk hooks.
Annoying noise emitter at low speed/in reverse mode.
The car overall feels slightly more comfortable and stable.
Autopilot included.
Steering wheel material changed.
Lost premium connectivity.
Backup camera seems to be more clear.
Seats seems to be a little bit different(more comfortable).

Most importantly, am I going crazy or does the 2020 model 3 sr+ feels slower than the 2019 model 3 sr+?

It's starting to make me think I made the bad choice here. Though, Tesla gave me a really high trade in value so essentially I'm only paying 3k more but now my car has white interior and 19 inch sports wheels.

Hi Kerumaru - have you noticed whether the new car is less noisy at highway speeds?

Wait wait wait - i just ordered a new LR AWD (to replace my 2018 LR RWD due to a car accident). Are y'all saying that I no longer get free music streaming, and no homelink to open my garage door???

You get it for 1 year, then you have to pay for it (the streaming)- Only Teslas purchased before July 1, 2018 got "lifetime" free premium connectivity.

Homelink can be added by service for $300 post-delivery

• Informative
Reactions: jsanford
Losing Homelink was an unpleasant discovery for me on delivery day.

I've learned to live without it. Homelink in most cars is a button or buttons on the roof, intuitive and useful. Homelink in Tesla is in an awkward place on the touchscreen. If you only have one garage - which I assume is true for most people - then you have to open the drop down list and then touch your (single) Homelink entry.

The auto-Homelink was fun at first, but in practice I was always frightening my family when pulling out my car so they had more room to get in. They would be standing in the entrance to the garage, and the car was always trying to close the garage door on their heads.