Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 and differences from 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I powered up the front footwell lights and the front pocket lights, but this is the first I've seen someone talk about the rear pocket lights. I have the lights installed, but no power. It looks like you took power from somewhere inside the door. I can't quite follow from the pictures. Can you show where you got the power from?
Could you tell me how you powered the front door pocket lights. Mine has the hole but no light inside. I am willing to buy the light and splice if if you guys can give a guide on how to do it.

I enabled my door mirror speakers, rear deck speakers, door pocket lights and footwell lights all at the same time by following instructions here: Guide: Model 3 SR+ aftermarket to enable speakers and subwoofer upgrade install - Tesla Owners Online

My car has the lights already installed, they just needed to be powered up. It was a significant amount of work, but the end result is great. From the post I showed in my comment, it looks like you can power the rear pocket lights from a source in the door. This would make it very easy and I'm curious as to where the power point is located.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Today I decided to see if I could power my rear door pocket lights from a source in the door panel. In a word, no. But since I have already run a power wire around the car for the other lights and the amplifier for the speakers, I figured I could tie into it. I traced the power wire from the pocket lights to the wire bundle coming out of the door. It's a thin orange wire on both sides. Unfortunately, the passenger side has 2 orange wires, I tapped into one and got lucky that it was the correct one. No ground is needed. You do need to cut the wire going to the front of the car, or you get some type of feedback and the power will be cut. So, this is relatively easy, if you already have the lights installed and have run the power wire for other purposes.

Today I decided to see if I could power my rear door pocket lights from a source in the door panel. In a word, no. But since I have already run a power wire around the car for the other lights and the amplifier for the speakers, I figured I could tie into it. I traced the power wire from the pocket lights to the wire bundle coming out of the door. It's a thin orange wire on both sides. Unfortunately, the passenger side has 2 orange wires, I tapped into one and got lucky that it was the correct one. No ground is needed. You do need to cut the wire going to the front of the car, or you get some type of feedback and the power will be cut. So, this is relatively easy, if you already have the lights installed and have run the power wire for other purposes.
I enabled my door mirror speakers, rear deck speakers, door pocket lights and footwell lights all at the same time by following instructions here: Guide: Model 3 SR+ aftermarket to enable speakers and subwoofer upgrade install - Tesla Owners Online

My car has the lights already installed, they just needed to be powered up. It was a significant amount of work, but the end result is great. From the post I showed in my comment, it looks like you can power the rear pocket lights from a source in the door. This would make it very easy and I'm curious as to where the power point is located.

I probably have the lights already installed too since the 5/19 car is labeled as SR+. Not a DIY guy so I wonder if there are any good places in PHX to do this kinda work? Not sure if I want the audio as well otherwise I would just go to a audio shop...

I can vouch that mine came with wireless charging...sticker says manufactured in June 2020

My window sticker shows 6/20 production, but it is not listed on the window sticker and the advisor said it doesn't come with it. picking it up next week and was hopeong to have it.

Does your window sticker also not show wireless charging?

Did anyone notice a new frunk, at least in Europe some VINs starting 7... Looks like the one from the Y no hooks and places for them.
This is a picture which popped up on a UK FB group. Can anyone verify it's correct? The car on the right is reportedly a European one in Germany.
118258569_10222738244509535_6373421202418953989_o.jpg

Ah, Dolemite beat me to it :D

• Helpful
Reactions: stlclint
I wonder if anyone noticed that the trunk carpet used to be made of a single piece, including the subtrunk box and the carpet liner.

I noticed the Model 3 has now two independent pieces, one for the rear sub-trunk and a second one for the liner behind the rear seat.

- Does any one noticed this difference, and when did it occurred?

View attachment 585373

View attachment 585374

Not sure when they changed but the EPC shows the two different options now.

90259654-9065-4323-A2FC-AA491C22570D.jpeg

Reactions: Watts_Up
I wonder if anyone noticed that the trunk carpet used to be made of a single piece, including the subtrunk box and the carpet liner.

I noticed the Model 3 has now two independent pieces, one for the rear sub-trunk and a second one for the liner behind the rear seat.

- Does any one noticed this difference, and when did it occurred?

View attachment 585373

View attachment 585374

Just checked my car.. 3rd Oct 2019 build with 2019 vin with a K.. has split subtrunk liners.. see photo below.. so looks like may have come into effect in Oct or prior

IMG_20200909_173711.jpg

Not sure when they changed but the EPC shows the two different options now.
Thanks a lot. One possibility is the change might have been performed at the same time
the diffuser below the trunk was changed to provide access to the tow hitch for the export version.

Anyway the single piece is very bulky, takes a lot of space for storage, and is not easy to manipulate by one person.

I wonder during the production line if the single piece of carpet cover with sub trunk, was entered from the back,
from the roof before putting the top window, or from one of the rear doors?

And to install it faster, there might have been two workers because this one piece didn't slide easily between the two wheelhouses.
So I suspect the rear trunk opening was used, with one person holding it from outside, and another person pulling it from inside.
I cannot imagine a robot able to put it inside, unless the robot has multiple arms.

Using two separate parts simplify everything, even when a body shop need to replace the rear panel, there is no need to remove the back seat.

Note: @MMcKay if you have access to the Model Y's EPC, can you check if the Model Y casting in two pieces is now made in one single piece?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. One possibility is the change might have been performed at the same time
the diffuser below the trunk was changed to provide access to the tow hitch for the export version.

Anyway the single piece is very bulky, takes a lot of space for storage, and is not easy to manipulate by one person.

I wonder during the production line if the single piece of carpet cover with sub trunk, was entered from the back,
from the roof before putting the top window, or from one of the rear doors?

And to install it faster, there might have been two workers because this one piece didn't slide easily between the two wheelhouses.
So I suspect the rear trunk opening was used, with one person holding it from outside, and another person pulling it from inside.
I cannot imagine a robot able to put it inside, unless the robot has multiple arms.

Using two separate parts simplify everything, even when a body shop need to replace the rear panel, there is no need to remove the back seat.

Note: @MMcKay if you have access to the Model Y's EPC, can you check if the Model Y casting in two pieces is now made in one single piece?

Here is the EPC for the Y looks a bit different and I think your reasoning for the change makes a ton of sense and the Y is similar with smaller parts. Also anyone with a Tesla account can access the EPC just go to epc.tesla.com and use your email address you use with your car on the first page then on the second login with your Tesla credentials. Not sure why you have to enter twice. The EPC is really helpful, just wish you could order parts online (at least the unrestricted items).

90D52814-7A63-4D61-9277-593511CDF168.jpeg