Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 losing excessive amount of battery power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model 3 AWD. Bought it with 29K miles a week ago. In western MA and drove it to Boston yesterday, Went through 109% in only 240 miles. What happened to the 353 range I thought I was getting? Sure, lights were on; windshield wipers were going, etc. Drove slower on a mix of hwy and two lane roads than I usually do. Still, doesn't seem right. Also, after reading a bunch of threads on this, decided to leave it unplugged after an errand this morning. Got out at noon and it was 68%; checked the app 9 hrs later and it was 59%. What is going on? Sentry mode is off. (22 degrees F)

Well, to get any reasonable answer, you'll have to provide more details. What's the efficiency? Do you have the new energy display? How fast do you drive, what are your climate settings, etc? Do you have any shots of your display showing before/after, etc., etc., etc. The more detail, the better the answer.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
2020 Model 3 AWD. Bought it with 29K miles a week ago. In western MA and drove it to Boston yesterday, Went through 109% in only 240 miles. What happened to the 353 range I thought I was getting? Sure, lights were on; windshield wipers were going, etc. Drove slower on a mix of hwy and two lane roads than I usually do. Still, doesn't seem right. Also, after reading a bunch of threads on this, decided to leave it unplugged after an errand this morning. Got out at noon and it was 68%; checked the app 9 hrs later and it was 59%. What is going on? Sentry mode is off. (22 degrees F)
22F says a lot. Every system in the car now is provided by the battery, not ICE. Climate, lights, forward motion, etc. Are you using climate inside, seat heater(s)? Using navigation feature it will project usage (roughly). This will allow you to plan charge stops as needed. I sometimes manually turn off climate as I get out of the car to avoid some phantom drain. I’ve found projections of usage have gotten quite accurate, depending on your personal driving habits.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0

2020 Model 3 AWD has rated range of 322 miles, not 353.

Doesn't really matter for your question, but just pointing it out.

Your battery is probably about 73kWh (this would correspond to 302 miles of range at 100%), rather than 77.8kWh, now, of which 95.5%, 69.7kWh, is usable.

109% of 69.7kWh is 76kWh.

76kWh/240mi = 317Wh/mi - this would be your efficiency if you had done a continuous trip without significant stops (obviously you'd have to stop once to use 109%!)

But probably this was a round trip, so this included significant usage while sitting, probably, which is not counted in the in-car displayed trip efficiency. Anyway, you can compare to the trip meter and energy screen details (which show energy use while parked) and sort it all out.

Just trying to provide a basic framework to allow you to determine the answer to your questions. It's all pretty deterministic though.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Upvote 0
Likely energy is going to heat the cabin.

gas vehicles heat the cabin with waste heat from the engine. No such thing in an EV. 22F is very cold. Consumes huge amounts of energy to heat the cabin. You need to preheat before you unplug so you start with a warm car. Heat pump won’t work at that temperature. Electric strip heat is worst efficiency.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Upvote 0
Well, to get any reasonable answer, you'll have to provide more details. What's the efficiency? Do you have the new energy display? How fast do you drive, what are your climate settings, etc? Do you have any shots of your display showing before/after, etc., etc., etc. The more detail, the better the answer.
And it is a used car. No telling how it was used.

Upvote 0
Brand new poster. First post: Why not getting EPA range? Seems like at least one of these a week lately…

Its not 1 per week, and its not "lately" (lol). Its more like 1 per day, and the reason you notice it more is because I used to move ALLLLLL of them into the big master range thread, because its the same exact question, repeated ad nauseum by different people. I had to move at least 1 post on this exact topic every 1-2 days, for the past 4 years.

I recently decided I had enough of doing that, so now just let them stand on their own, so you are now seeing what I have seen basically for the past 4 years or so.

Upvote 0
Cold weather impacts range for all the reasons given above, also usable temp on the batteries is most likely above 22 degrees for optimum which means energy is being used to preserve and protect the pack as well. Cold weather will eat a lot of range, just the nature of EVs :(

Upvote 0
Its not 1 per week, and its not "lately" (lol). Its more like 1 per day, and the reason you notice it more is because I used to move ALLLLLL of them into the big master range thread, because its the same exact question, repeated ad nauseum by different people. I had to move at least 1 post on this exact topic every 1-2 days, for the past 4 years.

I recently decided I had enough of doing that, so now just let them stand on their own, so you are now seeing what I have seen basically for the past 4 years or so.
In case someone comes to these forums before choosing or buying an EV, I made a thread that can help:

Upvote 0