Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 LR FSD to TRADE for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is kind of an unusual post, but I have a Model Y on order, but delivery not until January. I plan on listing my Model 3 once I have the Y in hand, but I'd like to get a Y sooner than later, and I know it's a good time to sell Teslas, but I don't want to sell my Model 3 now and be without a car until I take delivery in January.

So, what I'm offering is a private party trade. That is, if you have a 2020 or 2021 Model Y with low mileage and are looking for Model 3, we might be able to do a deal. Assuming the Y is valued higher (likely the case) I would pay cash on top of the trade to make the trade equitable. For example, if my Model 3 is valued at around $55,000 in a private party sale (which is the low end of current KBB pricing, see below), and your Y is valued at around $60,000, I would give you $5,000 cash as part of the trade.

So with that out of the way, below is a description of the car I'm proposing to trade (I'm assigning the lower end of the current market private party sale value, which is $55,000)
2020 Tesla Model 3 - Long Range with Full Self Driving

VIN: 5YJ3E1EB5LF543218
Sale price: $55,000

I'm selling my Model 3 because I'm swapping it for a Model Y. This was supposed to be my forever car so I've done a number of upgrades and purchased FSD. The only reason I'm getting the Y is because I have two kids and do hit some dirt roads here in Colorado so the Y is better suited to my needs. This car has low mileage and has been very well maintained. I've had seat covers on it since day one and nearly every surface that could be covered is. No gouges or tears anywhere.

Upgrades
- Goodyear MaxLife Assurance tires. Only a few thousand miles on these. These are great all weather tires that have handled very well in the winter snow.
- Full Self Driving (FSD) (this is a $10,000 purchase and most car dealers won't tell you if the used Tesla they're selling has it. I know because I'm wrangling with this for my Model Y purchase. It absolutely will transfer to the new owner. I have no idea why car dealers are so cagey about this.)
- Fully tinted windows
- Rapid Qi phone charger
- Heavy duty all weather floor mats (back and front)
- Custom fit seat covers (they look exactly like the stock white seats, which are underneath)

Defects:
I do have a few dents and scratches on the exterior. This car was garaged for its entire life but with two kids a few dents were unavoidable. I've included photos of them, but I'm happy to do a video call with you if you aren't local to show you any defects in detail and the car in general. I've also managed to scrape the rims on curbs but they're otherwise sound. As noted, the interior is immaculate, however, ironically the seat cover I put on the back seat had little rubber dots on the lower part, which left faint markings on the white upholstery. I'm still trying to find something to remove them completely but so far no luck. I've replaced that seat cover with the custom fit white covers, so you won't actually see the dots anyway, but I want to be upfront about any defects.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0485.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg

Dash.jpg

KBB.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 48
There seems to be a narrow path about FSD transfer that keeps Tesla from eventually removing it from what I've read. If FSD is listed on the original maroney from Tesla then Tesla cannot remove it when it passes through non-Tesla dealerships for sale. Otherwise, Tesla wiil get around to removing it if it wasn't, except for private sales between private parties.

There seems to be a narrow path about FSD transfer that keeps Tesla from eventually removing it from what I've read. If FSD is listed on the original maroney from Tesla then Tesla cannot remove it when it passes through non-Tesla dealerships for sale. Otherwise, Tesla wiil get around to removing it if it wasn't, except for private sales between private parties.
My understanding is that Tesla does not remove FSD, unless they repurchased the car and resold it.

Issue is with cars sold at auction by Tesla. They removed the option from such cars.

My understanding is that Tesla does not remove FSD, unless they repurchased the car and resold it.

Issue is with cars sold at auction by Tesla. They removed the option from such cars.
Many of the cars that are traded into Tesla are immediately transfered to the highest bidder from dealerships that are bidding on them. Tesla does keep some of them for resale. All of the ones bid on and those offered by Tesla can be affected.

Curious what you would value mine at and if it would be out of your price range....

2020 Model Y
Blue/White
FSD
Acceleration Boost purchased (was $2,000 + tax via the app)
Just under 4,050 miles

Paint correction, paint protection film on all painted surfaces, and then ceramic coating on top of that and on interior seats and windshield and side windows tinted (was about $7,200 when I got it done last fall... I know mods often don't carry their full value, or much value, but tossing it out there)

Not a single mark on the vehicle

Curious what you would value mine at and if it would be out of your price range....

2020 Model Y
Blue/White
FSD
Acceleration Boost purchased (was $2,000 + tax via the app)
Just under 4,050 miles

Paint correction, paint protection film on all painted surfaces, and then ceramic coating on top of that and on interior seats and windshield and side windows tinted (was about $7,200 when I got it done last fall... I know mods often don't carry their full value, or much value, but tossing it out there)

Not a single mark on the vehicle
Thanks for your response. Is it standard or long range?

Assuming it's in great shape, induction wheels, etc. I'd ballpark around $67,000 which is the upper end of the KBB estimate. I'm in Colorado, looks like you're in WA? Feel free to message me if you have further interest, my account is still limited so I don't think I can initiate messages. The new on I have on order is $69,888 all in (delivery fees etc.), the only difference is that I didn't order the performance boost.