Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 Performance v 2021 Model 3 Standard Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

This is a bit of a strange one but I currently own an LFP Model 3 SR+ December 2021. I purchased it brand new from Tesla and I love the car. It has white seats and 19s.

I however always wanted the performance one. I have the opportunity to return pretty much the same money as I paid for my Model 3 even though it now has 8,000 miles. I have a deal sitting which (without boring everyone with details) means I can actually pay around £70 less each month for a March 2020 Model 3 Performance with 17,000 miles. This is obviously a pre-facelift car.

My question is aside from losing the heat pump/wireless charging and headlights etc. What would be any potential things I might have missed? So much of my early research went into the newer model so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Also, what exactly is the BHP of my car. Some websites say as little as 241BHP?! I've also seen anywhere from 450-500BHP listed for the Performance models lol. So confusing.

Finally, I'm imagining that the "daily" range of the cars will be the same? Given that the M3P will only be charged to 90% each week and the LFP I always charge to 100%

Many thanks for any and all feedback. :)

I'm imagining that the "daily" range of the cars will be the same?

I suggest you try a known "Long journey" in ABetterRoutePlanner and try / compare each model (hopefully ABRP has the year/configuration of each available). You could set the START SOC to 90% for the M3P and 100% for the M3SR+ and also try "Winter" by setting the Road Conditions to, say, 20C for Summer and 5C for Winter

what exactly is the BHP of my car

Not sure that BHP is useful - how about the 0-60 for the car? I reckon that would be more easily compared, if that's the aim?

I have a deal sitting ... pay around £70 less each month for a March 2020 Model 3 Performance with 17,000 miles

2nd hand are getting close to new price ... so unless you have some "special discount" :) then you may be better off actually getting a new one. But I'm sure you've considered that, and there is some wiggle in your special-deal :cool:

I suggest you try a known "Long journey" in ABetterRoutePlanner and try / compare each model (hopefully ABRP has the year/configuration of each available). You could set the START SOC to 90% for the M3P and 100% for the M3SR+ and also try "Winter" by setting the Road Conditions to, say, 20C for Summer and 5C for Winter

Not sure that BHP is useful - how about the 0-60 for the car? I reckon that would be more easily compared, if that's the aim?

2nd hand are getting close to new price ... so unless you have some "special discount" :) then you may be better off actually getting a new one. But I'm sure you've considered that, and there is some wiggle in your special-deal :cool:

Thanks! Yes I am aware of the 0-60 my car is supposed to be 5.1 or 5.8 nobody really knows lol and the M3P is 3.0-3.2? So massively quicker. Yes I know about the prices I work for a car dealer (I should have mentioned) so it’s massively cheaper than the current selling prices that I’m picking the M3P up for.

The LFP SR+ is 320bhp according to the V5.
You’d lose the power boot and I’m not sure if the earlier M3P has double glazed front windows (for better sound insulation).
M3P gets better sound system, but lose the heated steering wheel.
The 20’ turbines will be easier to damage vs the 18’s.
M3P is dual motor whereas yours is RWD. I personally like the RWD handling. M3P track mode does allow you vary power to rear I think.

If I could afford a M3P I’d buy one, but the performance of the SR+ on the road is enough for me.

It’s like a BMW M3 vs a 335i.

Have a look at this for a performance comparison.

Last edited:
Just to update this thread I went with the M3P. I have 0 regrets. :D

65179CB4-0370-4B4C-9EE0-DF148FCB141A.jpeg

5F84DA9E-3408-47C0-8D62-FDE26C9503B2.jpeg

Thanks guys! Had it over a week now and still grinning ear-to-ear. Truthfully the only thing I miss is the wireless phone charging so going to look into retrofit options, otherwise the car is perfect!