Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 SR+ rear ended, what questions to ask or consider?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I have only had my model 3 for about 3 months. My wife (37 weeks pregnant) was rear ended by a massive commercial work truck (see photos) right outside my neighborhood.

I have filed the claim with insurance and now the waiting game begins. Since I am new to Tesla, I had the following questions:
1. Would this amount of damage be considered totaled?
2. Car is in my garage, wasn’t the smoothest ride on the way home but seems to hold a charge, how to tell if battery is ok?
3. Are there certain high dollar components I should mention to the claims person before they issue an estimate for repair?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 31D0B366-FB11-4B8E-80CD-F66CB78F8B19.jpeg
    31D0B366-FB11-4B8E-80CD-F66CB78F8B19.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 104
In October, I had what looks like a similar amount of damage to the front end of my M3 when a large SUV backed into it doing at least 10MPH. In fact, my car might have suffered a bit more damage than yours. I needed an all new front bumper, new left and right front quarter panels, new headlight assemblies, new crash cans behind the bumper, and numerous other smaller parts. The most important thing to do is to make sure you take it to a Tesla authorized collision center, not just any place. You need people working on it who have been properly trained. The damage to my car was all cosmetic. No damage to the battery or the car's suspension, but still it took almost 30 working days to get the repairs done, so expect to be without your car for some time. The insurance company's adjustor did an estimate of $3200. He even admitted to me that his estimate would be low and that he had never done an estimate on a Tesla before. The collision center's initial estimate was $6285. The final cost was $9206 and the insurance company paid for it without any issues from their end. Here in MA, while a car is under warranty the law requires the car to be repaired at a collision center that is authorized by the car's manufacturer and it also requires them to use only OEM parts, no third party parts (if there even are 3rd party parts for Teslas). You can expect to get emails from Tesla telling you what parts have been ordered, and when they ship, along with tracking numbers. That way you can tell if any delays are due to parts shortages, shipping delays, or delays at the collision center. Best of luck

In October, I had what looks like a similar amount of damage to the front end of my M3 when a large SUV backed into it doing at least 10MPH. In fact, my car might have suffered a bit more damage than yours. I needed an all new front bumper, new left and right front quarter panels, new headlight assemblies, new crash cans behind the bumper, and numerous other smaller parts. The most important thing to do is to make sure you take it to a Tesla authorized collision center, not just any place. You need people working on it who have been properly trained. The damage to my car was all cosmetic. No damage to the battery or the car's suspension, but still it took almost 30 working days to get the repairs done, so expect to be without your car for some time. The insurance company's adjustor did an estimate of $3200. He even admitted to me that his estimate would be low and that he had never done an estimate on a Tesla before. The collision center's initial estimate was $6285. The final cost was $9206 and the insurance company paid for it without any issues from their end. Here in MA, while a car is under warranty the law requires the car to be repaired at a collision center that is authorized by the car's manufacturer and it also requires them to use only OEM parts, no third party parts (if there even are 3rd party parts for Teslas). You can expect to get emails from Tesla telling you what parts have been ordered, and when they ship, along with tracking numbers. That way you can tell if any delays are due to parts shortages, shipping delays, or delays at the collision center. Best of luck
Thanks for the reply!! I will keep this in mind. I am waiting on their estimate and then I have a scheduled appointment with Tesla for feb 8th.

When I had my accident, the left front quarter panel was clearly damaged. It wasn't until they started to take the front end apart that they noticed that the right front quarter panel was, as they put it "very slightly distorted". Sometimes it takes a very close inspection to see the damage I guess.