TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2020 Model 3 switched 12V source already used *need alternative*

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by vogz, Jan 2, 2020.

1. vogz

vogz Member

Took delivery of my 2020 P3D+ last week. I've been slowly doing some work on it and ran into a snag attempting to hardwire my radar detector. According to threads on here, and the YouTube channel Ingineerix there is an unused 12V switched power source behind the drivers side kick panel. Apparently that is no longer the case as that source in my new Model 3 is being used by something else. I don't have enough dexterity to get tools up there to tap into the red wire and don't know if I want to not knowing what it powers.

[​IMG]

Any other ideas?? I'm already worried about a speeding ticket since I quickly don't realize how fast I'm going in this thing.

Thanks!

Obligatory pic of the new ride. Loving it other that this issue!!!

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. todd2fst4u

todd2fst4u Member

Follow the wire down and tap it in the driver footwell area. That’s what I am doing to power my valentine v1.

3. vogz

vogz Member

Do you have any pictures of where the wire runs exactly? I wasn't able to follow it when I was in there yesterday.

4. Timbo2

Timbo2 Member

If I remember correctly it is for a trailer hitch. My guess is that it now goes to a harness that is now pre-wired on your car.

My bet is you can pull it out with no issues if you don't use a hitch. However, to confirm you'd have to remove the the panel under the rear bumper and see if there is wiring in place that is no longer energized with the connector removed.

5. todd2fst4u

todd2fst4u Member

0657086F-5563-4DC6-A48C-E92BDFA9D929.jpeg D71F8607-EC26-4793-92FB-47E0F1B22BF0.jpeg
    It runs down towards the floor from where you took a photo of it. It’s mixed in with a bunch of other wires heading the same direction.

6. vogz

vogz Member

good info! I’ll check that out too. Definitely won’t be running a hitch.

thank for the pics, that’s perfect!

7. vogz

vogz Member

Install is done! Thanks todd2fst4u! I definitely had to dig in that harness to find the wire, but it’s all working now.

8. baba

baba Member

@vogz
    Did you remove the hitch wire?
    Is it constant power or does it switch off when the car is off?

9. vogz

vogz Member

I didn't remove it, I just tapped into that wire further down in the kick panel area for easier access. It's switched 12V.

10. baba

baba Member

After the update of 2020.16.2 1 my lights are still on after i close my car.
    Some one else that has this problem?

11. Idkorcare

Idkorcare Member

There is a post on i think the main page “12v switched” that a few were discussing it on but basically same issue and basically makes the power now the same as the penthouse and power outlets best i can tell so its only off when car is asleep

12. Kenneths031174

Kenneths031174 New Member

todd2fst4u
    is the 12v acc turn on when press the break?and turn off when the driver leave the car?

13. charlieaf92

charlieaf92 Member

Do you remember what size splicer/tap you used by any chance?

14. vogz

vogz Member

I don’t remember the size of the tap, but the wire looks to be 12 AWG, so a tap compatible with 12 AWG wires should work.

15. charlieaf92

charlieaf92 Member

Great, thank you!

• Like x 1