Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm a future Model 3 owner. I almost became one yesterday, but had to turn it down because the vehicle had some fit and finish defects at delivery. I'm back in the waiting queue, but this late in the year and no incentives I'm wondering when the 2020 Model 3 will arrive. The dealer says in 2020, but I think they are motivated to sell now.

Anyone have info one when the 2020 will arrive or when the 2019 was introduced. I tried google and did not find info on either.

Reactions: Daniel_6
Tesla does not use model years the same way other manufacturers do. The model year 2020 model 3 will be vehicles made in 2020. The model year 2019 model 3s are any made in 2019. If you want a 2020 model 3 you will need to purchase one made in 2020, which would likely be ordering sometime in january of 2020 and verifying when it was made.

Hi, I'm a future Model 3 owner. I almost became one yesterday, but had to turn it down because the vehicle had some fit and finish defects at delivery. I'm back in the waiting queue, but this late in the year and no incentives I'm wondering when the 2020 Model 3 will arrive. The dealer says in 2020, but I think they are motivated to sell now.

Anyone have info one when the 2020 will arrive or when the 2019 was introduced. I tried google and did not find info on either.

January 2020. Tesla doesn’t follow normal car manufacturer years.

Reactions: RScottyL

There are no Tesla dealers, and Tesla only does model years to the extent required by law.

There is no reason to expect a Tesla built in January of 2020 with a 2020 VIN model year to be any different from one built in December of 2019 with a 2019 VIN model year.

But a July 2020 car might be very different from a June 2020 car (random example, no idea when a big change will actually happen) - like May 2019 Model S and X are radically different from March 2019 S/X (Raven update - adaptive suspension, ceramic wheel bearings, high efficiency switched reluctance motor modified from the Model 3 unit.)

There are no Tesla dealers, and Tesla only does model years to the extent required by law.

There is no reason to expect a Tesla built in January of 2020 with a 2020 VIN model year to be any different from one built in December of 2019 with a 2019 VIN model year.

But a July 2020 car might be very different from a June 2020 car (random example, no idea when a big change will actually happen) - like May 2019 Model S and X are radically different from March 2019 S/X (Raven update - adaptive suspension, ceramic wheel bearings, high efficiency switched reluctance motor modified from the Model 3 unit.)

I agree with this, with the caveat that a 2020 would be a year newer as it relates to depreciation. This is mainly because the regular buying public has been trained that there is some difference in cars from model year to model year, rather than the way that tesla does it which is "when they want to" like you say.

As time goes on, people will start becoming more familiar with tesla specific dates, which have nothing to do with model years... such as "what date did hardware 3 get released for model 3s?" or "when did tesla switch glass manufacturers for the roof glass for model 3s?", or "when did tesla put in a longer range battery in XXX model tesla?" which has almost nothing to do with model years.

Again for the OP, there will be no 2020 model year teslas until cars are manufactured in 2020... which is the way it SHOULD be, instead of this silly $%!% of model year 2020 cars coming out in september of 2019.

I’m in a similar situation. Was planning on buying in a few weeks, but currently having doubts and may wait for a 2020 instead. The Federal tax rebate is too low now to really affect my buying decision on a $55-60k purchase (not that I don’t want $1750 back). But I also agree with the people who say life is short and just enjoy it. So still undecided at this moment (that’s why I’m on here reading).

Reactions: Daniel_6
I would also be surprised if Tesla did not lower the price to match the loss of the federal rebate in 2020. So unless your state is lowering a rebate, waiting might not lose you anything... It will also likely not gain you anything.

I would also be surprised if Tesla did not lower the price to match the loss of the federal rebate in 2020. So unless your state is lowering a rebate, waiting might not lose you anything... It will also likely not gain you anything.

For the 35K SR ordering ASAP is best. Option pricing keeps going down though.

I’m in a similar situation. Was planning on buying in a few weeks, but currently having doubts and may wait for a 2020 instead. The Federal tax rebate is too low now to really affect my buying decision on a $55-60k purchase (not that I don’t want $1750 back). But I also agree with the people who say life is short and just enjoy it. So still undecided at this moment (that’s why I’m on here reading).

Waiting for a 2020 model really doesn’t do squat for you. It’s the same vehicle as made on December 31. Tesla is different - as changes are ready, they make them “on the fly” and don’t hold anything back for a new Model year.
The only caveat I could see would be if you’re selling on the used market, there may be some silliness relative to model years there. I know you said the tax break doesn’t move the needle for you - but even that is likely to be more than the difference in possible future depreciation. There really isn’t a reason to wait for 2020, if you’re ready to buy now.

Unfortunately when they lower the price they also take away some items that were previously included in the car like rear heated seats and fog lights in SR+ and Home Link in premium.

I doubt you will see further price drops. Based on 3rd quarter results Tesla missed projected units delivered, giving up more margin won’t help that going forward. Plus COG, general price increases will make it difficult to drop pricing.

Adding options, possibly newer battery tech or range to justify the current price or slight increase, roll out the model Y and B... more options, etc... with other manufactures coming on line Tesla needs to continue to set them selves apart.

Last edited:
I would also be surprised if Tesla did not lower the price to match the loss of the federal rebate in 2020.
This is not likely. With the previous reductions in the credit Tesla did reduce prices but not by nearly as much as the credit decreased, so waiting will most likely result in paying a higher price for the same vehicle. Also, there are no demand issues at the moment so Tesla has no incentive to reduce prices.

As the Model Y get closer don't you think people will just hold off on a 3? I'm not so sure the demand is going to stay strong, as some think. A hefty premium is in place for a TM3 and it's space limitations. For the average person, the thought of paying 50K and what you get for the money seems steep, to the casual observer. I think a resistance point is coming and prices will have to come down. One thing is for sure and that's the market will tell us who's right.

As the Model Y get closer don't you think people will just hold off on a 3? I'm not so sure the demand is going to stay strong, as some think. A hefty premium is in place for a TM3 and it's space limitations. For the average person, the thought of paying 50K and what you get for the money seems steep, to the casual observer. I think a resistance point is coming and prices will have to come down. One thing is for sure and that's the market will tell us who's right.

But its not "pay 50k for what you get". Its Pay from "37k-60 ish k for what you get". There is no difference in "space" between a model 3 standard Range, and a model 3 performance, so I am not sure where you get the 50k price as a base.

But its not "pay 50k for what you get". Its Pay from "37k-60 ish k for what you get". There is no difference in "space" between a model 3 standard Range, and a model 3 performance, so I am not sure where you get the 50k price as a base.

Yeah I'm really hoping they price the SR Y @37K. Too bad we can't put a deposit and lock in that price yet, LR and above

As far as I can tell, a Model Y is not much different than the Model 3 other than the fact that you have more room in the back for kids and cargo. Also, it seems like the price is a wash - relatively speaking. A few dollars here and there.

I guess that's my bias kicking in. I wouldn't consider anything but the LR AWD (add $4,200+ just for tax and delivery). Also, if you look at inventory of the SR+ a lot are optioned very close to $50k. I understand the value of what the 3 is, but, off this forum and in the real world I'm not so sure the average person does. I think if you put a Civic and TM3 besides one another, most would fail to see a $20-30K premium.

"As far as I can tell, a Model Y is not much different than the Model 3 other than the fact that you have more room in the back for kids and cargo. Also, it seems like the price is a wash - relatively speaking. A few dollars here and there"

Thats the point, their isn't a large degree of price differential. But we love our crossovers and extra space (3rd row). Put a Y and 3 side by side and I think a lot of people would choose the Y, possibly leading to cannibalization of the TM3 market if no substantial price differential exists. I think they are going to need to make slight price adjustments on the higher optioned 3s.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7