Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S usb drive issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am trying to enable Sentry mode and interior cameras.

I have tried two high quality / high write speed USB drives - inserting into the center console right by the cigarette lighter socket. My 2020 S says "formatting drive" then "success!" but then goes right back to "please format to enable dashcam" every time. When I click on dashcam icon, it says "USB drive error please format"

First drive was a USB 3.0. Second drive I tried was a USB 2.0. Both name brand drives.

Any tips or suggestions? I would appreciate it.

Both should work. USB 2.0 is all that is used, but USB 3.0 drives are backward compatible. You didn't say the year of your car, but newer cars have another USB port in the glove box. You might try that if you have it.

What specific brand model are your drives? Is there any chance they are counterfeit? Quite a few are. Here's a lot more and how to test a drive: Fake and Counterfeit Drives – TeslaTap

SanDisk Extreme Go, and SanDisk Extreme Pro have proven problematic, so avoid these.

Maybe I just missed the year so my error. I don't think the 2020 S has a glovebox USB. Think they started to appear in 2021, but not sure about that.
Hi TeslaTap, didn’t know you were here! The legacy S/X don’t appear to have the glovebox USB port, so it was probably introduced with the 2021 refresh. Model 3 got the glovebox port earlier, maybe 2019. Our 2018 3 doesn’t have it.