Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S with BMW wheels including range impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OEM Tesla wheels expecially the base wheels are cheap heavy crap compared to high-end forged wheels on the top spec of a lot of cars. This makes sense, because, well, money costs money, and lightness isn't worth paying for at the cost of cost, despite its dynamic and efficiency benefits, when you're buying 100,000 wheels per year and the marginal cost is quite substantial, as much as $50-100 per part.

Big fan of this idea! Always thought the F8xM wheels would be a good fit for the legacy S! I think the 666M would look rad too.

Last edited:
Selecting a wheel to save a few pennies in electrons without any concern of the fact that the wheel wasn't engineered for a car nearly two times heavier than the car it was engineered for is not a good idea. While you're at it, remove the brake rotors and you'll probably save a few more dimes.
This is a garbage take, and if you're irritated people are calling you out for it, well, you started it. People like playing with their cars. Don't be a jerk.

OEM Tesla wheels expecially the base wheels are cheap heavy crap compared to high-end forged wheels on the top spec of a lot of cars. This makes sense, because, well, money costs money, and lightness isn't worth paying for at the cost of cost, despite its dynamic and efficiency benefits, when you're buying 100,000 wheels per year and the marginal cost is quite substantial, as much as $50-100 per part.

Big fan of this idea! Always thought the F8xM wheels would be a good fit for the legacy S!
I’m surprised that the difference in weigh affected range as much as it did. Makes me think Tesla has a lot of extra room for range improvements.

I’m surprised that the difference in weigh affected range as much as it did. Makes me think Tesla has a lot of extra room for range improvements.
They've left a ton on the table in favor of manufacturability and parts commonality. I mean, look at the glass roofs alone. I'm sure the new ones are better-optimized, but, the Model 3 is a great example of a car that hasn't even come close to having its potential fully tapped if they were willing to really go full-special on lightweighting. Ditching the OEM 20" wheels alone on a Model 3 Performance can be worth like 3 tenths in the 1/4! But they've aimed for half a million per year and trick parts cost money, and they aren't willing to do what BMW does and make 40,000 of a niche trim that has trick parts like these wheels included for an extra $15-20k above a base car, yet. Hope that changes soon, because there's a lot of potential left to unlock.

Unless you do mooneys, there isn't much aero benefit between various wheels with holes in them, other than less void area should = better aero, all things being equal, but when they're 30-40% below equal on weight, well, that's a lot of inertia

Also, stretching the tires a bit more should help with efficiency. You can see this in action on the newer cars vs the legacy s/x - For instance Model Y has a 255 on a 9.5" wide wheel where S has a 245 on an 8.5, for instance. Less sidewall flex = less waste heat from internal friction in the tire. So I could see just putting the OEM 245's on a 9" wheel with no other changes, at teh same weight, would yield some efficiency improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and teslick2
So your homeboy addressing me with "Hey dumbass" wasn't a personal attack? I can only assume you don't understand what the phrase "personal attack" means in this case because that's pretty obviously a personal attack, by definition. But yeah.... I'm the one attacking others personally. Sure.

You made my point by saying that even heavier wheels that ARE safety rated for the weight of a Model S have been known to fail. So your solution is to go with a wheel that was engineered specifically for a much lighter vehicle with much less power as a solution? Posting pictures of broken Tesla wheels further illustrates why you should be seeking MORE durable wheels with these cars. Being forged doesn't in and of itself make a wheel invincible, especially when it was never engineered to be on a car like the Model S.

But hey, why listen to me?

TSW made an article on why "load rating of a wheel, as determined by the wheel manufacturer, must never be exceeded" found here.

Here's the time stamped link to the part of the video where he talks about this

This was a 5-second search. You can find much more info yourself if you actually care including endless pictures of wheels (cheap and expensive alike) with catastrophic failure due to mismatching wheel load ratings to the vehicle they're being mounted on.

What is more challenging to find is the load rating for individual factory wheels. They get around this because they literally engineer them for the car they go on so it's not something they have to provide tot he consumer. Aftermarket wheels typically have this load rating however because they sell them direct-to-consumer and many different vehicles of different weights share the same bolt pattern... especially now that EVs are a thing. Before 2012 no wheel manufacturer every suspected that 5,000+ pound sedans would be the norm. This topic is more discussed in the 4x4 forums because the weight differences can be more extreme. It wasn't until EVs that this was even a consideration on passenger cars because they were all within a few hundred pounds of each other, at most.

All I've done is challenged how much consideration was given to the safety aspect of strapping random wheels on a VERY heavy and powerful vehicle. If this had been considered the response would have been much less toxic and logical. The response tone even in complete absence of anything of substance tells me all I need to know though.

Again, your car and you can do whatever the heck you want. This thread comes off as saying it's a good idea though. It's experimental at best and I'm here to offer information that others at least consider load ratings and safety from catastrophic wheel failure since the OP clearly hasn't. This is more for those who subscribe to the "just gonna send it" approach to potentially dangerous decisions in life. I tend to rely on data, analytics and physics whenever I stray off of the beaten path but that's just me.
I think data and analytics are not enough. Thomas Edison did not have data and analytics when he made the light bulb. Also, I love seeing people think outside the box and try new things like this. Everytime I see people driving teslas , they tend to look/sound like you. Look down on other teslas if they are modded even a bit. Creativity inspires more creativity. #DontBeASheep

Reactions: pipestem
Nobody in this thread has resorted to personal attacks except for you LOL

Not really why you are resorting to calling me a BMW fanboy when nothing close to alluding to that has even been said. As I said, BMW doesn't even manufacture those wheels, Fuchs does.

I hate to break it to you but there is absolutely nothing unique about the OEM Tesla wheels. They are cheap cast wheels that bend and crack if you look at them wrong, as has been shown time and time again on this forum. What load rating do you know that exists for the OE wheels? Is there a technical data sheet you have to share? Simply screaming over and over that heavy = strong does not make it true, sorry. Please stop pounding the table.

You haven't shared anything to suggest that these wheels are unsafe either - your photo 'evidence' is proof that wheels can crack, and literally nothing else unless you have the story behind it.

I've attached several photos of cracked Tesla Turbine wheels. Probably more relevant to this discussion than a random picture taken with a potato stolen off another forum with zero context...
I can attest to this. My rim cracked from potholes so much more with tesla rims than any other rim i have used. With tesla parts in regards to tires, all i had are problems

Beating a dead horse here but in case there is still any doubt that these wheels have a suitable load rating for a Model S:

OEM Tesla referral Arachnids (pre-refresh) which are forged and thus likely the strongest OEM wheel available for a Model S are load rated for 650kg (front) and 750kg (rear).

The BMW wheel is rated for 815kg 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 123
  • s-l1600-8.jpg
    s-l1600-8.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 76
I think data and analytics are not enough. Thomas Edison did not have data and analytics when he made the light bulb.
Side note. Edison had the data and analytics of his time. He tried hundreds of filaments, accumulated excellent data and is credited with applying scientific principles to invention. The late 1800s were a real growth era for statistical methods.

Reactions: GSP
Got the custom center caps on

(Purchased from 'BongaParts' on Etsy. 68mm diameter and it's a metal dome with 3M tape pre-applied that just sticks on top of the BMW caps. The seller can make whatever color/pattern you want - I went with the Red tesla logo over a black background with a chrome outline)

View attachment 878885

View attachment 878886
Wow that looks fire…. Can you link me to those bmw rims? Also, will they fit a 2013 p85?