Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. There was an interior seat refresh for S&X in 2019. They simplified the design. One of those changes was removal of the adjustable headrest. Overall reducing complexity & cost.
In my opinion, it was a good call. However I can't speak for everyone -- maybe you needed it?

• Disagree
Reactions: X Fan
Having owned both a 2017 X and a 2020 LR+ X now, I prefer the comfort of the 2020 seats, but like the angle of the adjustable headrests pre-2020. I think the new ones are angled a bit too forward, but not bad enough where it’s a problem for me. Just doing 1K mile road trip and it’s pretty comfortable overall.

I just got back from a long 2,000+ mile road trip and it was no problem at all.

I did order a pair of plastic hangar hooks from Tesla when I first got the car that said they were Model X compatible but there's no place to put them since the car seats are all one piece.

Having owned both a 2017 X and a 2020 LR+ X now, I prefer the comfort of the 2020 seats, but like the angle of the adjustable headrests pre-2020.
I've always hated the headrest in my 2017 MX. Digs into the back of my shoulders even though it is adjustable. I've been using a soft strap on head cushion to compensate for it. I guess they never tested it with tall people.

Reactions: MarkoC
Just sat in showroom Model X and do not like the fixed headrest. The 2016 motorized version is more comfortable. Was considering an upgrade but could not find a comfortable seat position to be able to tolerate that fixed headrest.

Reactions: X Fan
The headrest is tipped forward. This may by my posture while texting but not while driving.
Old
X seat old.png

New
X new.png

Just sat in showroom Model X and do not like the fixed headrest. The 2016 motorized version is more comfortable. Was considering an upgrade but could not find a comfortable seat position to be able to tolerate that fixed headrest.
I too just picked up 2020 model X after upgrading from 2018 and found the redesign a bit puzzling. I liked the moveable headrest especially since I share the car with my wife: I’m 6’1” she’s 5’6” so having different seat profiles was great. Also the new design doesn’t allow for the behind the headrest coat hooks that are available on Tesla store or aftermarket. There are a few other minor cosmetic changes between 2018 and prior and 2019/2020 builds that are irksome.

I had a 2017 MX and now have a 2020 MX and I very much miss the last Gen seats. The headrest thing doesn’t bother me but the seat is not as comfortable. It does not have the same range of movement of the last Gen and after 6 months of ownership I have never been able to get the seating position dialed in like I could before. Also, you can tell that the seat bolsters are thinner and all around the seat feels cheaper. I wish it were possible to retrofit the old seats into the new car but I doubt that it is.