Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X legacy means no more firmware updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a 2017 X 100D that is really "legacy" :)
Yes, you'll still get OTAs updates but may only get a subset of features you get within them largely depend on the hardware on your vehicle and whether it is applicable. Or if they only decided to make the code work for the most current ones.

and as an example TeslaFI show 165 "X Long Range" in its "fleet" getting a variety (see below image).

hOcgmVJ.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a 2018 MX and still receive updates. I upgraded to MCU2. I am sure you will still receive updates, but sometimes you may not get features reserved for newer cars. For instance I do not have the ability to access my cameras remotely from the APP while in Sentry mode. But I have received newer games and other features, including FSD.

Upvote 0
Trying to cut thru the chatter -
2020 Model X Long Range, FSD beta (2022.36.20), Premium Upgrade Package.
Is the car is now "legacy" and cannot receive any more OTA updates?
Is this true or is it just limited to game stuff like Steam?

Separately, will I be able to upgrade the MCU in the future?
Thanks guys
It does seem like we’re getting left behind in some respects..

Upvote 0
Trying to cut thru the chatter -
2020 Model X Long Range, FSD beta (2022.36.20), Premium Upgrade Package.
Is the car is now "legacy" and cannot receive any more OTA updates?
Is this true or is it just limited to game stuff like Steam?

Separately, will I be able to upgrade the MCU in the future?
Thanks guys
You have the newest version of FSD Beta available. That's why you haven't received an update, there's nothing to update to, yet.

Upvote 0
Well, I saw xxx.2 in the firmware updater, but it disappeared. I do realize -3 is circulating now. Having said that my nephew has a refresh and it seems to be able to do some things my cannot.

You have the newest version of FSD Beta available. That's why you haven't received an update, there's nothing to update to, yet.

Upvote 0
Yes, there are things the refresh can do that yours likely will never do, but it's newer.

Yours is still supported and will get updates. Again, being on Beta, you are being main release and 36.20 is the most current version for the large pool of testers. We hope to get another, either v11 or 10.69 based, by the end of the year, but there are no guarantees.

Upvote 0
Hi @Jay Smith ,

FSD Beta is due for a release very soon...

Elon said somewhere today the MCU2 maybe/will be capable of upgrade in the future...

Good luck,

Shawn
I can almost assure there won't be a MCU2 to MCU3 conversion. Elon didn't suggest or say anything about an MCU2 to 3 upgrade. He mentioned an upgrade for MS/X users with 8gb of memory vs the new cars with 16

Upvote 0
I understand ours not being able to use the cabin camera and also the external speaker/sounds, but it's infuriating that they won't enable the live sentry view or the turn signal cameras. Our current hardware supports it, they just won't write it into our software. I wish someone would start a legacy upgrade software company lol for the vehicles left in the dust and once out of warranty won't have to worry about Tesla punishing them.

Upvote 0
I have a theory that FSD won't end up working on our "Legacy" pre-refresh cars and many early 3's. Upgrades will be offered. This is why FSD is $15,000 currently to pay for retrofits on all the Model 3's, S and X "Legacy" cars running MCU2 or earlier and without the newer cameras and advanced radar that might be added. Only cars that have purchased FSD will qualify for the retrofit so the number of cars is not 500,000, much less.

May not come true but writing software to work with Autopilot 1 was cost prohibitive / never happened / not possible to improve with the limited camera. The only way forward will be to actually find the hardware that will run FSD and retro cars that have made the purchase. That or enter madness litigation for selling FSD but not ever delivering it to cars with Legacy hardware.

Upvote 0
New MCU, new cameras in the same spots as old cameras, a few new lines to run for new cameras, new radar in the old radar spot, and software to handle the wiring/screen location differences.

How do you think MCU2 model 3 cars, the S and X's of 2018-2020 will get to full FSD without the refreshed hardware? Refund of the FSD (will welcome lawsuits for devaluation claims, interest free loans to Tesla)? Upgrade discounts (lawsuits still)? Call it FSD but have it be inferior to actual FSD on refreshed cars? First accident will have a $1 billion punative damage.

Upvote 0