Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X Long Range Plus - First Set of New Tires (and a Thank you!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I'd like to thank everyone in this community for posting Model X tire recommendations. It really helped me to decide which replacement tires to purchase for my 2020 Model X Long Range Plus (7 seat configuration). I thought I would share details about purchasing new tires so others could also benefit from the experience.

I've had a rather challenging overall experience owning my first Tesla. I took delivery of the Model X a few days before the COVID lock down in March 2020. There were so many issues with the car's paint, body panel alignments, cracked taillights, front end acceleration shudder, etc., that I almost did not take delivery of the car. Tesla Paramus assured me all of the documented issues would be fixed. As soon as the lock down was lifted, the car went into the Tesla repair shop in Paramus, NJ and those issues were corrected over a few weeks. Unfortunately, several issues still persisted and many of them took the past 2 plus years to remedy (power windows, falcon wing door alignments, half shaft shudder, etc.). I've been issue-free for the past 3 months and, as I hit 30,000 miles, it was time for a new set of tires.

Let me say that there was a lot of uneven wear on the original Continental Cross Contact LX M+S tires that were included with the car. I also had a front right flat tire at about 12,750 miles, but there is nothing unusual about the weather or road conditions in Northern New Jersey and the Tri-State Area where I do most of the driving (the road conditions are pretty consistently horrible).

The Continental Cross Contact LX tires supported 30,000 miles of mixed highway/local driving over 2 Winters and 2 and a half Summers. Total Energy over those 30,000 miles was 9,257 kWh and Average Energy/Efficiency was 309 Wh/mi.

Tesla quoted me approximately $370.00 per tire for new Continental Cross Contacts LXs. Inclusive of labor, tax, etc. the total to replace all 4 tires was $1,583.60. Wow! Other tire shops either wouldn't work on a Tesla or were more than +$1,500 all inclusive on the Continentals, so I decided to shop around and research other tire options. (This community was very helpful! Thank you, again!)

I ended up deciding to try Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+ and was able to get a price match discount at Mavis Discount Tire in Ridgewood, NJ. Total for 4 tires (2 265/45R20 Front; 2 275/45R20 Rear) was $1,426.41 all inclusive. I saved almost $160 versus the Tesla estimate for the Continentals (and Tesla would not order or install any other tires other than the Continentals).

Note: Mavis Discount Tire said it would/could work on Teslas, but when I dropped the car off its management said "no way." With a little persuasion and discussion and these $19 jack pads/pucks, Mavis worked on the car and did an amazing job.

I really like the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+ tires so far. They are just as quiet or quieter than the Continentals on various road surfaces. The first 570 miles has yielded 311 Wh/mi, but I am doing a lot of short distance local driving currently.

I'll post an update as time goes on, but so far so good. I would like to see 50k-60k miles on these tires versus the 30k on the Continentals.

I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation. And thanks again to everyone who posted Model X tire info and details. It's much appreciated.

Just hitting slightly over 10,000 miles on the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+ tires.

Remember, the prior Continental Cross Contact LX tires supported 30,000 miles of mixed highway/local driving over 2 Winters and 2 and a half Summers. Total Energy over those 30,000 miles was 9,257 kWh and Average Energy/Efficiency was 309 Wh/mi.

I can say that I believe the Pirelli's are an overall quieter ride and I feel more in control of the car in wet/rain and snow. However, the efficiency over the first Fall and Winter wasn't quite as good as the Continentals. Over the first 10,000 miles, the Model X used 3,541 kWh and Average Energy/Efficiency was 340 Wh/mi. Efficiency wasn't quite as good as the Continentals even though we didn't have a massively cold winter here in NJ.

Will post again as we get through the Spring and Summer driving seasons.