Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X Performance - Advice: Buy now or wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to receive my Model X Performance in mid - late March.

Given battery day is coming sometime in April, I heard Tesla may likely announce a a significant battery technology improvement that would likely apply to the higher end models first (X and S) then eventually to larger production models (3 and Y).

Question:

Would you wait to purchase an X until after battery day in the case Tesla announces significant battery changes for the X? (Also with the Plaid drivetrain coming soon)

Or would you take delivery of the Model X Performance now given the recent Raven update which is already a meaningful upgrade?

Obviously a lot of factors to consider but please post your thoughts.

Sep 12, 2019 - Tesla teased a prototype Model S that Elon Musk says can go faster than the “Ludicrous” speed the company’s cars currently achieve. The new powertrain is dubbed “Plaid” and is “about a year away from production,” Musk tweeted Wednesday. ... The Plaid Model S made its debut at Laguna

Possibly a helpful article from insideevs about the Plaid and new batteries patterned after the 3. Looks like September or later is best guess. You might want to read through it.

I’d probably just take the plunge and buy now if you’re ready. We probably won’t see the plaid power train/battery upgrade until the fall.

I was in the same situation last year... kept putting off buying waiting for whatever was coming next. I got tired of waiting and bought a Raven LR and figure I’ll trade up when there’s a significant enough set of improvements over my current X. I’m glad I did... I’ve never enjoyed a vehicle so much

I’d probably just take the plunge and buy now if you’re ready. We probably won’t see the plaid power train/battery upgrade until the fall.

I was in the same situation last year... kept putting off buying waiting for whatever was coming next. I got tired of waiting and bought a Raven LR and figure I’ll trade up when there’s a significant enough set of improvements over my current X. I’m glad I did... I’ve never enjoyed a vehicle so much
Agreed - After thinking about it more and reading various thoughts on this forum, I’m going to keep my order and take delivery next month. I figure even if they come up with a Plaid at some point this year, the current X performance Raven is already plenty fast. Also, assuming the wife doesn’t change her mind, I’m planning to buy the Roadster as soon as more details come out about delivery times; which currently is opaque. Separately, if they announce new battery tech in April to meaningfully increase range from Raven, I’m guessing this won’t go into effect until later this year and frankly I rarely take longer road trips. In fact I rarely drive more than 100 miles per day.

This dilemma is similar to my laptop shopping experience recently...Should I buy now or wait for the next generation processor/battery/RAM/graphics etc.

Come to think of...a Tesla is a computer!

Problem is that Tesla, as currently configured, is a pretty terrific offering. It seems that even if the better stuff comes out, for most of us it will not really make the car all that much better for our normal driving conditions.

Sometimes the better range or better power gets updated into existing cars via OTA updates. Great system to remain as current as possible.

Seems like it is more of the "winning" issue. People want what ever Tesla they take delivery of to be the best ever...but always someting even better is around the corner.

You can only buy the car they are offering at your time of delivery. There will always be a better one comming "soon"

I have a hunch they will have a fire sale or promotion on Model X cars the last week of this month to reduce US Inventory of Model X's. Either that or a 'carrot', a perk added to late month sales. But then again, I knew this and took delivery this week anyways.

Contemplating whether to wait for delivery or forego the 100 deposit and buy a discounted inventory vehicle in a week or so. I agree there will be discounts.

Do you mean discounted store inventory test drive vehicles? Looking for more context as my store was already selling all of their >50 mile inventory at a $7,000 discount, and most were wiped out.

Any inventory that had less than 50 miles was still considered new with no discount.

Last edited:
Yes inventory with a few hundred miles on them. Likely used for test drives or showroom models

That's what we were hoping to get when we went in this past Sunday to do a test drive. The test drive vehicle was all they had left, but it was blue, and neither my wife nor I like the blue MX. We decided to pass on that vehicle and ordered custom instead.

It delivers Wednesday of next week, and I'm nervous that right after they deliver it, they'll soon after announce incentives for the last week of the quarter. I'm considering delaying delivery a week or two.