Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X questions(battery, motor)(Model 3 battery/charge rates)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have been without a Tesla for 2 1/2 years and having gone through seven, yes SEVEN vehicles in that time. I know its because nothing compares to a Tesla and I just haven't been truly happy with anything since I sold my P85. The seven vehicles in question that attempted to take the place of a Telsa are: Porsche Macan GTS, Porsche 911, Supercharged Range Rover, Toyota Tundra, Lexus LX570, Audi SQ5, and finally my current 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro that I bought 3 weeks ago. Last week I was able to drive a friend's 2019 Model X and here I am. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, so I've been playing catchup on the last 2 1/2 years of Tesla developments (and yes I reserved a cybertruck).

The model 3 has a much higher charge rate than the Model S/X. Will the Model X get the same charge rate and ability to use the new V3 superchargers? Is the charge rate related to the battery design of the model 3? If so, then does it follow that Tesla will start using Model 3 battery designs in the Model X?

I've read about "Raven" being much more efficient than the previous "motors" used. Is the Raven used in both the Long Range and the Performance Model X?

I was about to order and just debating between red and blue, but then I read about the V3 superchargers and that the Model X cannot take advantage of the charge rates offered by V3 superchargers.

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I cannot wait to get back into the Tesla world.

John

Have a new Raven X and can give you some insite.

The X & S use a slightly different battery than the Model 3. Because of this they have different characteristics.
They cannot charge quite as fast as the Model 3 for 2 reasons. They have larger batteries, and those take longer to fill, just as a larger gas tank takes longer to fill. The chemistry is also a little difference, so also take a little longer to charge.

All the models seem to be getting faster charging as Tesla gets a better handle on what they can safely get away with. All will charge faster on the V3 chargers, but the Model 3 is still the fastest there as it can take a higher current.

This is not really a big thing, unless you are in a speed charging competition. All charge much faster than just a couple years ago.

The Raven uses the largest and newest revision of the 100 Kwh pack. Cooling is better and they also can preheat to allow pre-conditioning when you preselect a Supercharger . This means that if you select a Supercharger as your destination the battery pack will get all it's ducks in a row so you can get the fastest possible charge when you get there...pretty cool actually.

People have been prophetic about Tesla changing to the Model 3 batterys for some time, but currently nothing. Believe it is because the newer cells are taller and it would take a major redesign to make this happen.

Latest improvements on the Raven package have allowed faster charging and even greater range. This is the combination of new bearings, a new battery pack, better temperature control, higher tire pressures along with the new adaptive suspension.

New adaptive suspension makes the X ride smoother, quieter and handle better. Raven now uses the original S/X motor in the rear and one of the Model 3 motors in the front. Best of both worlds giving both better range and better performance.

Great bonus is that currently the Model X Long Range has gotten a significant price reduction. Starting at only $85,000 for the 5 seater you will still be eligible for the residual Federal Tax Credit and Free Supercharging for Life offer if delivered by EOY. If you opt for the performance version they will offer free Ludicrous mode (previously a $20,000 option)

Summary.

Gotta order soon, as the clock is ticking on the tax credit.

The main difference in Model 3 battery is better distributed cooling. The difference in peak charge rate of 200 kw (Model S/X) and 250 kw (Model 3) might be 5 minutes on a typical charge. It’s not that big a deal. Wait another year and things might change. More likely to change on S than X (or just sooner on S). If your thinking of Performance flavor why are you concerned with range.

I don’t see any preconditioning happening on my Raven X when routed to a supercharger. But it was clearly indicated on a Model 3. I think the needs/advantages are different. The S/X heats the battery when not routing to a supercharger but the Model 3 does not do that.

Raven drivetrain is in both new LR and P vehicles. Improved efficiency was enough for us to upgrade our X.

I don’t think the 200kW vs 250kW is a big difference given charge throttling as the battery fills.

The battery cooling in the 3 seems so much better. When I supercharge the 3, I don’t hear much fan noise. The X sounds like it’s a jet engine taking off. I wonder how much this will play into battery degradation.