Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X Walk Away Lock Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently (last two weeks), my Model X does not lock the door most of the times. Sometimes it will work. When I walk away from it the radio is still on and when I get far enough that it should lock, the horn does not sound and the mirrors are not folded. Just to make sure it was not locking, I have gone into the office from the parking spot (about 200 yards away) and opened my Tesla App to see the lock icon unlocked.

I have done the two types of reset and it's still the same. Again, some times it does work.

The only thing remotely different is an update that was done around the time I noticed this happening. My current software version is: 2021.4.6.

Yes, I have read all the other postings to similar issues with Walk Away and no I do not have an extra fob in my car, it is at home in my safe.

One incident that happened this past Monday, I went into the car put the seat belt on, pressed the brake, and attempted to put it into drive and I got a message that the key is not in the car (something to that effect). I took the fob pushed the top button to lock the car, while I was still in it and then opened the door and the car operated normally (except for walk away locking).

Any help would be awesome!

Any help. Okay. Take your smart phone and put it in a different pocket. Very common problem. The smart phone is interfering with the fob's signal.
:)
My smart phone is always in my office bag. The fob is in my right front pocket and nothing else is in that pocket and I have other fob or keys or wallet attached or in that pocket. I also have carried the fob in my hand as I walked away to make sure it wasn't a single issue.

Better question here is why would you keep the other fob in a safe?

Easy answer is have a ranger come look at it or take it to service center. Sorry, but odd stuff happens with these cars and I’ve found self-diagnosing is tough.

Recently (last two weeks), my Model X does not lock the door most of the times. Sometimes it will work. When I walk away from it the radio is still on and when I get far enough that it should lock, the horn does not sound and the mirrors are not folded. Just to make sure it was not locking, I have gone into the office from the parking spot (about 200 yards away) and opened my Tesla App to see the lock icon unlocked.

I have done the two types of reset and it's still the same. Again, some times it does work.

The only thing remotely different is an update that was done around the time I noticed this happening. My current software version is: 2021.4.6.

Yes, I have read all the other postings to similar issues with Walk Away and no I do not have an extra fob in my car, it is at home in my safe.

One incident that happened this past Monday, I went into the car put the seat belt on, pressed the brake, and attempted to put it into drive and I got a message that the key is not in the car (something to that effect). I took the fob pushed the top button to lock the car, while I was still in it and then opened the door and the car operated normally (except for walk away locking).

Any help would be awesome!
You are not crazy. I've had similar oddities since 2021.4.6 was install.
I have:
- June '17 X
- MCU1->MCU2 upgrade
- original HW2.0/AP2.0 to HW3/FSD upgrade

My X is in an attached garage with the option for
- auto-fold mirrors when approaching the
- no auto-locking when I exit and it is in the garage

I have witnessed my music playing after exiting and closing the doors. This never happened before.
I have witnessed my dome light staying on longer than I remember it.
I have witnessed my dome light go out by my drivers info console staying lite up. (dark garage glow in drivers area)
I do not know if my walk away lock is or is_not working. I did go grocery shopping last night but didn't pay attention to if it auto-locked.
- I may look to see if TeslaFI shows it in the daily raw log.
- I may need to go for a drive and exit the vehicle to see if it honks/locks when I am far away. I can check the app too.

I do not know if my walk away lock is or is_not working. I did go grocery shopping last night but didn't pay attention to if it auto-locked.
- I may look to see if TeslaFI shows it in the daily raw log.
- I may need to go for a drive and exit the vehicle to see if it honks/locks when I am far away. I can check the app too.
I just drove to a nearby restaurant and tested the walk-a-way locking and it is working.
- horn honked (chirped)
- Tesla app showed it was locked.
It unlocked as expected when I approached.

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
@zkhan2 , are you still having problems. I responded above and even did some test but you didn't acknowledge it at all.

Sorry Scott - I was out all day yesterday and I am reading the posts now. I have not tested again yet. I will tomorrow. I am meeting up with friend that has way more experience with Teslas than I do. I'll let everyone know if he can figure it out.

Reactions: scottf200
I have five cars and all my spare keys are in a safe - what's weird about that?
Never heard of anyone doing that. I’ve always hung my extra keys on a rack on the wall. I guess what I thought strange is putting them in a safe. Is it just so they’re all in one place or are you worried someone will take a key and steal a car? We have so many drivers in our house we use the second keys often, so maybe that’s why it seemed strange to me. I also “only” have four cars, so maybe something magical happens with a fifth!

Never heard of anyone doing that. I’ve always hung my extra keys on a rack on the wall. I guess what I thought strange is putting them in a safe. Is it just so they’re all in one place or are you worried someone will take a key and steal a car? We have so many drivers in our house we use the second keys often, so maybe that’s why it seemed strange to me. I also “only” have four cars, so maybe something magical happens with a fifth!

Sorry to everyone else for going off topic. @elguapo, there are a number of reasons for someone to keep spares in their safe. For me at least these apply:

1. I have a safe, so why not use it;
2. I put my active FOBs in a container that works like a Faraday mesh;
3. Signal stealing from a FOB is a real thing; and
4. My key holder is not big enough for all the FOBs, hence why I told you about the number of cars.

I hope that clears it up for you.

I found out why this is happening. When I went to the car wash, the attendant buckled both seatbelts (passenger and driver's side) - not sure why. But I neglected to notice the passenger side was buckled and it's been that way for a couple of weeks. With the passenger side seatbelt buckled, the Model X assumed someone was still in the car and that is why walk away did not work (sometimes it did, but not sure why).

Problem solved. Thank you everyone for your input.

I found out why this is happening. When I went to the car wash, the attendant buckled both seatbelts (passenger and driver's side) - not sure why. But I neglected to notice the passenger side was buckled and it's been that way for a couple of weeks. With the passenger side seatbelt buckled, the Model X assumed someone was still in the car and that is why walk away did not work (sometimes it did, but not sure why).

Problem solved. Thank you everyone for your input.

I was really hoping to see a different reason, because my 2020 Model S is doing the same thing but I do not have any seatbelts buckled. I have a ranger coming out tomorrow to investigate further. Sentry mode is also not working correctly, but I assume the two are connected.

@cmarshack Did you figure out what's going on. My 2018 MX is doing the same thing (walkway locking works on and off). I don't have additional seat belts buckled in my car. This is driving me crazy since I never know if my car will be locked or not.
You can set the mirrors to fold in when locked (not a good idea in winter). You can also set the horn to blip on lock. Plus you you can always check it with the app, and lock it remotely if necessary.

You can set the mirrors to fold in when locked (not a good idea in winter). You can also set the horn to blip on lock. Plus you you can always check it with the app, and lock it remotely if necessary.

Already have all that set. My point is car locks/beeps/mirrors fold when it is going to lock. But every 3rd time or so- nothing happens- mirrors stay unfolded, no beep and not locking on walk away. If I try to use key fob triple click, car beeps twice and does not lock. I have to physically walk back to car, open and close driver door and only than I can lock the car. Any ideas?