Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model XL rear-ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heart-broken. With only 6300 miles on our XL, we were rear-ended by a huge truck with a big steel bumper yesterday. Happily, the car did a good job of protecting us, as there were only minor injuries. I've posted a picture so you can see just how badly we were hit (totaled I'm sure). I have a few questions for anyone who's had a similar experience:
  1. None of our airbags deployed. Is this because we were hit from behind?
  2. There was a small amount of what appeared to be white smoke drifting thru the cabin, but we could see no reason for it. With all the talk about exploding batteries, I was a bit concerned. Since none of the airbags deployed, I didn't think it was a result of propellent. Any ideas?
  3. I haven't picked up the thumb drive, as the car is still at the police impound lot. Would the system have recorded the crash?
    20210529_113153.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman
1 - yes, happened to me. Ford explorer, totalled.
2 - I think @omarsultan is correct, but could it have come from the truck?
3 - should be. If the angle was correct, but the rear facing camera isn't recorded,is it? I still have an AP1 S. May move to an X. So, I'll be interested to know!

Wow, glad you are fine. I was trapped and couldn't move. Could only watch the truck come at me in the rear view mirror. Kept my heart going for a long time!

Last edited:
1 - yes, happened to me. Ford explorer, totalled.
2 - I think @omarsultan is correct, but could it have come from the truck?
3 - should be. If the angle was correct, but the rear facing camera isn't recorded,is it? I still have an AP1 S. May move to an X. So, I'll be interested to know!

Wow, glad you are fine. I was trapped and couldn't move. Could only watch the truck come at me in the rear view mirror. Kept my heart going for a long time!
Thanks. We're still a bit shaken up. Once I pick up the thumb drive I'll let everyone know what it recorded.

When my 2016 X (HW3/MCU2 upgraded) was rear-ended, it automatically saved the footage of all 4 recorded cameras. It doesn't look like you were pushed into a vehicle in front of you, which is likely why airbags didn't deploy. Most of the force on your body when you are rear ended is back into the seat, unless you're pushed into an obstacle.

Mine was repaired last year with similar but less severe damage, amounting to $57k in repairs. Hatch, both quarters and required frame repair, but yours looks like it might have crumpled far enough to impact the drive unit and suspension. Depends on the state what constitutes totaled, although with that much damage, most shops can find a way to total it if that's what you want and your insurer is considering repair. My shop originally said it was going to be totaled and my insurance came back and said to fix it. The shop asked if I was okay with that and since they assured me it would be as good as new, I went for it.

When my 2016 X (HW3/MCU2 upgraded) was rear-ended, it automatically saved the footage of all 4 recorded cameras. It doesn't look like you were pushed into a vehicle in front of you, which is likely why airbags didn't deploy. Most of the force on your body when you are rear ended is back into the seat, unless you're pushed into an obstacle.

Mine was repaired last year with similar but less severe damage, amounting to $57k in repairs. Hatch, both quarters and required frame repair, but yours looks like it might have crumpled far enough to impact the drive unit and suspension. Depends on the state what constitutes totaled, although with that much damage, most shops can find a way to total it if that's what you want and your insurer is considering repair. My shop originally said it was going to be totaled and my insurance came back and said to fix it. The shop asked if I was okay with that and since they assured me it would be as good as new, I went for it.
Thanks for your feedback. So my big question is: Is your car REALLY as good as new now?...just in case I can't get them to total it.

Thanks for your feedback. So my big question is: Is your car REALLY as good as new now?...just in case I can't get them to total it.
There's a squeak from one of the FWDs over big bumps, I've been meaning to grease the latch. Aside from that, it looks perfect. The shop I used came highly rated in the area though. Honestly, I'll be really surprised if yours isn't totaled. That damage looks deeper than mine and higher chances for more internal (expensive) damage.

So not to Jon Prosser myself here, but I’ll shave my eyebrows if that X isn’t totaled. I bet the frame was impacted too, which makes the rest of the damage inconsequential.

Glad you are safe. MORE validation that Teslas are among the safest cars on the road.