Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Home charging question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Could anyone please help. When we plug in charger at our home to a 220 outlet it only charges at 15 mph with an Amber blinking light. My app says that “charge cable may not be plugged securely into the vehicle.”
Thank you.

I think it’s a 50 amp 220 volt outlet. Yes, we have pushed the cord in and except for some red and some blue it has always reverted back to the Amber light. I have not know to try to increase the amperage on the screen. Will look at that tomorrow. thanks so much.

Be 100% sure the cable is pushed into the car. It should bottom out and then lock when charging starts. Newer cars are harder to push. Your not going to brake it by pushing hard as long as you are pushing in straight.

if that doesn’t work, sounds like there is a bad connection or possibly a problem with the lock in the charge port.

Last edited:
You should have about 240 volts on the outlet. When you start charging, looking at the voltage shown on your car's screen. From what I've heard, if it starts dropping down too much as the current ramps up, the current is limited (which is a good thing). Mine will drop 5 volts or so as it ramps to 48 amps (Gen 3 HPWC), which is no problem.

I agree, from 220V/240V you should get 48 amp from Gen 3 wall charger. If you are getting less than that after checking your connection, I would suggest that you contact your electrician to make sure that there isn't some fault or shorting that is happening. This low rate of charging indicates something is not correct-I assume nothing else is on this circuit, correct?

I think it’s a 50 amp 220 volt outlet. Yes, we have pushed the cord in and except for some red and some blue it has always reverted back to the Amber light. I have not know to try to increase the amperage on the screen. Will look at that tomorrow. thanks so much.
C1BAD851-0B01-40E9-87EF-1F4490393281.png

I agree, from 220V/240V you should get 48 amp from Gen 3 wall charger. If you are getting less than that after checking your connection, I would suggest that you contact your electrician to make sure that there isn't some fault or shorting that is happening. This low rate of charging indicates something is not correct-I assume nothing else is on this circuit, correct?

This is a dedicated circuit...thx.

As others have said, push the cable all the way in to the car... hard! I had this exact problem.
Thank you for this reply. However, both my husband and I have tried numerous times to push the cable in. The car even rocks because we are pushing so hard. Service is coming to the house next week. I’ll let you know what the verdict is...