Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Performance (barely used) or 2021 Model Y LR AWD (New)

Which one would you get, if price is the same?

• 2020 Model Y P (used)

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • 2021 Model Y LR AWD (new)

Votes: 43 67.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think most people who return Teslas are due to problems with the car itself.

if you think about it, things like bad batteries, motor issues, fit, finish, (like in the pic below) can be fixed by service under warranty. Yes, the previous owner returned this car like that. And tesla didnt fix that before selling it to me. And while there’s lots of horror posts about terrible service, I don’t think thats a majority of the population. Most people would try to get something fixed under warranty before ditching a car.

no, most returns are probably adapting to the EV lifestyle or personal finance: not getting the printed range, charging issues, employment turned for the worse, hardships etc.
I just love that photo. Sort of a his and hers configuration. What door color do you like? :p

Hi srlawren,

Yes, I did go ahead with the 2020 Model Y Performance. It is actually a "new" vehicle but it was a demo with 50 kms. It ended up with $9K+ discount so it was a no-brainer.

Hi srlawren,

Yes, I did go ahead with the 2020 Model Y Performance. It is actually a "new" vehicle but it was a demo with 50 kms. It ended up with $9K+ discount so it was a no-brainer.

@Arctic_White congrats on your purchase! In that light (demo with very minimal usage, for that big of a discount), then yes that was indeed a no-brainer. I'm glad you're loving it.

Yes I am loving ours so far too.

Reactions: Arctic_White
Hi srlawren,

You point out some great points, but resale wise, 2020 Model YP would bring in more value in 2 years than a 2021 Model Y LR. Let's find out.

How are you liking your Model Y?

This is the best car I've owned!
I was debating myself to get 2021 MYLR with Induction wheels or 2021 MYP, very hard decision for me. The price was not the factor. I decided to get the MYLR because of better ride (according to reviewer), more mileage, same tires size on all four and the MYLR is fast enough for me or I can buy booster firmware for $2000. Resale value is about the same between the two models. I am in California, I see more MYLR here. One thing I miss of the MYLR, the red calipers. I probably can pay someone around $300 to paint them but I rather get the OEM red calipers directly from Tesla. I wish, Tesla has an option for red calipers and larger brakes. I think both models are good except the MYP will cost more for the tires because the rear tires wear out faster.

I was debating myself to get 2021 MYLR with Induction wheels or 2021 MYP, very hard decision for me. The price was not the factor. I decided to get the MYLR because of better ride (according to reviewer), more mileage, same tires size on all four and the MYLR is fast enough for me or I can buy booster firmware for $2000. Resale value is about the same between the two models. I am in California, I see more MYLR here. One thing I miss of the MYLR, the red calipers. I probably can pay someone around $300 to paint them but I rather get the OEM red calipers directly from Tesla. I wish, Tesla has an option for red calipers and larger brakes. I think both models are good except the MYP will cost more for the tires because the rear tires wear out faster.
The performance brakes aren't better than the stock brakes for normal driving in the critical metric of stopping distance. They are better at resisting fading from repeated hard braking (e.g. while racing on a track).

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I would just save up for a new P. When you start tacking on the options on a LR and then add AB, you're real close to a P model anyways. For that reason, I just got a P. A few K rolled up into a loan is a small hit in the grand scheme of things. I'm assuming that the 2020 P used price is already well elevated to put that nicely... I'd rather just get a new one.