Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Performance (barely used) or 2021 Model Y LR AWD (New)

Which one would you get, if price is the same?

• 2020 Model Y P (used)

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • 2021 Model Y LR AWD (new)

Votes: 43 67.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which would you get if the price are the same:
2020 Model Y Performance White on White with very few miles
2021 Model Y LR AWD, blue on black with 0 miles and brand spanking new.

The 2021 version also has a heated steering wheel, upgraded interior, dual pane windows, etc.

Both prices are exactly the same.

Which one would you get?

Which one will command a better resale value in 3 years when I get my CT?

P is only slightly faster and in your case you’ll need another set of wheels and tires for winter. Don’t let the numbers fool you… 3.5 seconds is after a 1ft rollout. True time is 3.8/3.9 from a standstill. Many threads on that….

The LR 4.8 is from a stand still, 1ft rollout is 4.4, motor trend confirmed and that’s with no acceleration boost….

2021’s are going to be a quieter ride and the center console is a winner over the old one.

P is only slightly faster and in your case you’ll need another set of wheels and tires for winter. Don’t let the numbers fool you… 3.5 seconds is after a 1ft rollout. True time is 3.8/3.9 from a standstill. Many threads on that….

The LR 4.8 is from a stand still, 1ft rollout is 4.4, motor trend confirmed and that’s with no acceleration boost….

2021’s are going to be a quieter ride and the center console is a winner over the old one.
Slap some all season on the ubers and sell the performance tires. I personally like the old console. I wrapped it white and it looks real nice with the rest of the white interior. As far as speed, P is def faster by at least a second. Red brakes. Spoiler. Better resale value. It's not even close to a comparison. P by a mile.

Slap some all season on the ubers and sell the performance tires. I personally like the old console. I wrapped it white and it looks real nice with the rest of the white interior. As far as speed, P is def faster by at least a second. Red brakes. Spoiler. Better resale value. It's not even close to a comparison. P by a mile.
I wasn’t trying to sway the OP one way or another. Just stating the facts that a lot of people get incorrect bc they don’t read the numbers on the Tesla site properly.

P is certainly faster, but not what everyone makes it out to be. 4.4 vs 3.5 from a 1ft roll out, upgrade LR software for AB and you’re at 3.9/4.0 with a 1ft rollout.

Nice. That’s a smart move lol the gloss isn’t bad, just finger prints would drive me nuts. Have any pics of the center console? Saw some people wrapping it in carbon fiber.

Logically, it makes more sense to go with the 2021 LR AWD.

But it appears that resale value for the performance is much higher so speaking strictly from financial perspective, it makes more sense to go with the 2020 MY P.

This isn’t an easy decision as I a) don’t really need the speed as LR AWD with boost is more than sufficient and b) I’ll be downgrading the tire/rim package to 20” anyways so 21” rims would be a waste unless I’m able to sell it.

I wasn’t trying to sway the OP one way or another. Just stating the facts that a lot of people get incorrect bc they don’t read the numbers on the Tesla site properly.

P is certainly faster, but not what everyone makes it out to be. 4.4 vs 3.5 from a 1ft roll out, upgrade LR software for AB and you’re at 3.9/4.0 with a 1ft rollout.

Nice. That’s a smart move lol the gloss isn’t bad, just finger prints would drive me nuts. Have any pics of the center console? Saw some people wrapping it in carbon fiber.
Your point of view is very much appreciated. We all have to give our points to the op and they make their decision based on all of our inputs. The more diverse opinions expressed, the better. That's what makes for a well rounded decision. ;)

Logically, it makes more sense to go with the 2021 LR AWD.

But it appears that resale value for the performance is much higher so speaking strictly from financial perspective, it makes more sense to go with the 2020 MY P.

This isn’t an easy decision as I a) don’t really need the speed as LR AWD with boost is more than sufficient and b) I’ll be downgrading the tire/rim package to 20” anyways so 21” rims would be a waste unless I’m able to sell it.

Since when should logic get in the way of the impulse decision. In all seriousness, for the same money you are getting a 10k more car. After a few adjustments, you are still getting an 8k car ahead... Basically, you have transferred the depreciation to the first owner.

As far as wheels are concerned, you can buy the TSportline 20s and sell the wheels tires (21" Ubers). Prob take 1-1.5k hit. It's minimal cost and you insure that you have the top level trim so if any goodies come down the line for the P, you will have em (software wise).

In my case I slapped on

265x40x21 front
285x40x21 rear

Great setup and haven't looked back. Go for the P and enjoy the best.

Which would you get if the price are the same:
2020 Model Y Performance White on White with very few miles
2021 Model Y LR AWD, blue on black with 0 miles and brand spanking new.

The 2021 version also has a heated steering wheel, upgraded interior, dual pane windows, etc.

Both prices are exactly the same.

Which one would you get?

Which one will command a better resale value in 3 years when I get my CT?

You haven't stated the approximate date of manufacture for the cars. Not knowing that, the first thing that I would look at is the range of each and your driving requirements. Do you have a long daily commute or regular long trip requirements where the extra range might be useful (knowing that you will get a reduced range for each especially in the winter)? The build quality of the MYs definitely has improved over time, is the MYP an as is sale, or do you have 7 days to report manufacturing defects that might not have been previously addressed (and its not just panel fit, rattles are something that become more annoying over time)? Do you (and any significant others) like the White on White of the MYP (I assume you configured the Blue with Black). I keep reading that the White interior tends to stain from jeans and needs constant vigilance to clean the statins off. If true is that something you can see yourself doing?

Reactions: Arctic_White
You haven't stated the approximate date of manufacture for the cars. Not knowing that, the first thing that I would look at is the range of each and your driving requirements. Do you have a long daily commute or regular long trip requirements where the extra range might be useful (knowing that you will get a reduced range for each especially in the winter)? The build quality of the MYs definitely has improved over time, is the MYP an as is sale, or do you have 7 days to report manufacturing defects that might not have been previously addressed (and its not just panel fit, rattles are something that become more annoying over time)? Do you (and any significant others) like the White on White of the MYP (I assume you configured the Blue with Black). I keep reading that the White interior tends to stain from jeans and needs constant vigilance to clean the statins off. If true is that something you can see yourself doing?

This is a superb post.

2020 Manufacturing date is Sept 5, 2020. 2021 would be in the month of May or so, expected to arrive by end of June.

I don't mind the white exterior but I do prefer the black interior. So white on white isn't my top choice.

My daily commute is no more than 30 miles, so don't need or care for more range. I'd be switching tires to 20" anyways in either model so range would be similar I think?

This is a superb post.

2020 Manufacturing date is Sept 5, 2020. 2021 would be in the month of May or so, expected to arrive by end of June.

I don't mind the white exterior but I do prefer the black interior. So white on white isn't my top choice.

My daily commute is no more than 30 miles, so don't need or care for more range. I'd be switching tires to 20" anyways in either model so range would be similar I think?

I never thought I would get the white interior. I was forced, inadvertantly, into it by availability. Boy am I glad I did. I was always scared of getting the white, but now, I don't think I could go back to a black interior. FYI, I have 2 kids (6&4 yr olds), so aggressively a dangerous decision. Maintenance is a breeze, no stains and I have the showroom car that I got at a discount late last yr (that means a ton of ppl in and out every day for months).

I never thought I would get the white interior. I was forced, inadvertantly, into it by availability. Boy am I glad I did. I was always scared of getting the white, but now, I don't think I could go back to a black interior. FYI, I have 2 kids (6&4 yr olds), so aggressively a dangerous decision. Maintenance is a breeze, no stains and I have the showroom car that I got at a discount late last yr (that means a ton of ppl in and out every day for months).

This is really helpful to know. Thanks for this!

I'm more and more warming up to white interior.

This is an easy decision:

2020 MYP because

-that amount of power isn’t something you can buy after the car purchase. yes, yes I know about acceleration boost but that’s not close to the P’s performance. Yes, people say *it’s only 0.5 seconds!* or whatever the numbers print, but that feels a whole lot faster than an AB LR. The suspension is also different in MYP’s.

-If it has the ultra-heavy weight, range-robbing Uberturbines, those can be sold off pretty easily for good $$$. Lot of people seem to like the look of those. Gemini’s can be easily purchased. Inductions are the ones that are hard to come by, as they are the leading favorite.

-yeah yeah, double pane glass, center console, heated steering wheel, side mirror defrosters etc….all these are small compared to the power. Unless you really want those features that badly over the power. Some of these updates can be retrofitted from recently crashed 2021’s.

-All model Y’s have a heat pump, which alleviates a huge winter range killer, so one less thing to worry about on a 2020 Y.

-I also got a used Y with a white interior, something I would never ever pick, but I really grew to like it. I have kids too. There is a coating on these seats that make them easy to clean, as long as you don’t use anything harsh like laundry detergent and strip it out. (Don’t ask how i know that!)

Last edited:
@Arctic_White did you decide yet? I missed this thread I guess because May 1st was our MY LR pick-up date so I was a bit preoccupied for community browsing. ;) My vote is for the 2021 LR, unless for some reason you think you need that extra second off the 0-100 time. Are you planning to race every sports car you see? If so, then I guess yes get the P. Aside from the extra go, the wheels are something that draws people to the P, but you're planning to remove them and downsize anyway. As I understand it, the P has a harsher ride (and trust me--not sure what the streets are like one province over, but around here the LR is rough enough as it is) which isn't just from the wheel diff but also suspension tweaks.

Here's another thought: assuming the original owner got that P in late September, why are they giving/have they given it up in about 9 months time? Are there issues with it? Are you taking on someone else's problem vehicle? I still vote for the brand new LR. It's plenty fast and can be made somewhere-in-between faster with the AB if you decide you need it. It's got the right size wheels, it's got the colour interior you wanted, it's got all the production upgrades and build quality improvements that have been made since September, and it's rolling off a truck with your name on it with [basically] 0 clicks on the odometer.

EDIT: forgot to say: assuming the two options really are similar in price, that means the MYP has taken somewhere around a $10-15k haircut (+/- some after taxes and so on). Are you really sure it's going to hold its value better for a few years?

@Arctic_White did you decide yet? I missed this thread I guess because May 1st was our MY LR pick-up date so I was a bit preoccupied for community browsing. ;) My vote is for the 2021 LR, unless for some reason you think you need that extra second off the 0-100 time. Are you planning to race every sports car you see? If so, then I guess yes get the P. Aside from the extra go, the wheels are something that draws people to the P, but you're planning to remove them and downsize anyway. As I understand it, the P has a harsher ride (and trust me--not sure what the streets are like one province over, but around here the LR is rough enough as it is) which isn't just from the wheel diff but also suspension tweaks.

Here's another thought: assuming the original owner got that P in late September, why are they giving/have they given it up in about 9 months time? Are there issues with it? Are you taking on someone else's problem vehicle? I still vote for the brand new LR. It's plenty fast and can be made somewhere-in-between faster with the AB if you decide you need it. It's got the right size wheels, it's got the colour interior you wanted, it's got all the production upgrades and build quality improvements that have been made since September, and it's rolling off a truck with your name on it with [basically] 0 clicks on the odometer.

EDIT: forgot to say: assuming the two options really are similar in price, that means the MYP has taken somewhere around a $10-15k haircut (+/- some after taxes and so on). Are you really sure it's going to hold its value better for a few years?

Hi srlawren,

Yes, I did go ahead with the 2020 Model Y Performance. It is actually a "new" vehicle but it was a demo with 50 kms. It ended up with $9K+ discount so it was a no-brainer.

You point out some great points, but resale wise, 2020 Model YP would bring in more value in 2 years than a 2021 Model Y LR. Let's find out.

How are you liking your Model Y?

This is the best car I've owned!

I don’t think most people who return Teslas are due to problems with the car itself.

if you think about it, things like bad batteries, motor issues, fit, finish, (like in the pic below) can be fixed by service under warranty. Yes, the previous owner returned this car like that. And tesla didnt fix that before selling it to me. And while there’s lots of horror posts about terrible service, I don’t think thats a majority of the population. Most people would try to get something fixed under warranty before ditching a car.

no, most returns are probably adapting to the EV lifestyle or personal finance: not getting the printed range, charging issues, employment turned for the worse, hardships etc.

Attachments

• 299871D1-7927-434D-BBCC-21BD5F7BA19E.jpeg
    299871D1-7927-434D-BBCC-21BD5F7BA19E.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Arctic_White