Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Performance - Deal Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model Y Performance
Black on black
November 2020 Delivery
FSD
19k miles
extra set of gemini wheels/tires

Seller is willing to sell it for $60k. My m-in-law get a $4k rebate in California on used EV. So, effective is $56k. She has a MYP on order based on latest pricing.

Pull the trigger?

2020 Model Y Performance
Black on black
November 2020 Delivery
FSD
19k miles
extra set of gemini wheels/tires

Seller is willing to sell it for $60k. My m-in-law get a $4k rebate in California on used EV. So, effective is $56k. She has a MYP on order based on latest pricing.

Pull the trigger?

So, saving a bit under 3k for a car that is approximately 2 years old with 19k miles?

I dont see a world where any used model 3 or Y is "worth it" for someone to buy over new, if they can wait for their order (so no, I wouldnt save only 3k to get a car that is 2 years older with 19k miles on it).

So, saving a bit under 3k for a car that is approximately 2 years old with 19k miles?

I dont see a world where any used model 3 or Y is "worth it" for someone to buy over new, if they can wait for their order (so no, I wouldnt save only 3k to get a car that is 2 years older with 19k miles on it).
Where do you get that price? A new MYP with FSD is 78k Before taxes etc. Looks like a 25k savings

Reactions: preilly44 and MPM25
Where do you get that price? A new MYP with FSD is 78k Before taxes etc. Looks like a 25k savings

Because I dont count FSD as something that needs to be purchased when the car is purchased. It can be subscribed to to try it out, and if someone likes it, they can buy it "later" without tying it up in the loan. A new Model YP in white or grey, with no tow hitch is 63,990 + 1200 destination.

myp.JPG

Basically, I dont believe any used cars are "worth it" right now, but especially teslas if you can wait for your order to come in, which on a Model YP is the end of march supposedly. I ordered one for my wife in fact on June 13th, and my current EDD is March 8-31, so these do not have "several months" wait.

I have FSD on my model 3 P, and not "down" on it, but if the choice is brand new car with the latest tesla iterations and no FSD for 3k more than a car that is somewhere between a 1 year 3 months old, and 2 year 3 months old, and has 19k miles, and has FSD, the choice seems very clear to me.

The tax has to be paid either way, so there is no savings in taxes. CA doesnt apply used car trade in to taxes, and private party sales are also subject to full taxes.

Last edited:
I'd probably go for a new one too. Mainly because the 2020 is going to be missing a ton of features.. a good chance that car doesn't even have a heated steering wheel. Also, check the condition of the tires.. as the Pirelli summer tires on that car probably need to be replaced at 19K miles. Meanwhile, a fresh built 2022 is going to have all the latest updates.. including brand new Michelin AS4's that are higher rated, much longer tread life and will work in practically all weather.

IMO the only reason to purchase that car for $60K is that FSD has been added. And even then I'd rather have a freshly built brand new Y.. over a 2 year used one with FSD.

If it was me I would go for the new one, especially since you're looking at the Performance model. I kind of wonder why a P owner would even want FSD. I got the P because I wanted to experience the acceleration that's controlled by my right foot and I want to drive rather than be driven. I also have my doubts that my 2021 will be powerful enough to actually run FSD effectively when it finally gets out of beta. For these reasons FSD isn't something I'm interested in.

If you set aside the FSD in the 2020 MYP, I think the 2021/2022 have a few practical upgrades over the 2020. Heated steering wheel (although probably not important in California) and matte finish trim pieces (instead of gloss black), as well as Biodefense mode, are good additions. Also, you might get the Ryzen CPU and Lithium-Ion 12V battery in a 2022, which are nice to have.

I would go for the new one in a heartbeat. Slew of new options and upgrades plus possibly being able to get one built in Austin. I have a LR with FSD which I love but itching for a new MY 2025 P, at the end of 2024, when this one is paid in full. Hopefully, by then, FSD will actually have matured and have real-world capabilities.

Because I dont count FSD as something that needs to be purchased when the car is purchased. It can be subscribed to to try it out, and if someone likes it, they can buy it "later" without tying it up in the loan. A new Model YP in white or grey, with no tow hitch is 63,990 + 1200 destination.

View attachment 762744

Basically, I dont believe any used cars are "worth it" right now, but especially teslas if you can wait for your order to come in, which on a Model YP is the end of march supposedly. I ordered one for my wife in fact on June 13th, and my current EDD is March 8-31, so these do not have "several months" wait.

I have FSD on my model 3 P, and not "down" on it, but if the choice is brand new car with the latest tesla iterations and no FSD for 3k more than a car that is somewhere between a 1 year 3 months old, and 2 year 3 months old, and has 19k miles, and has FSD, the choice seems very clear to me.

The tax has to be paid either way, so there is no savings in taxes. CA doesnt apply used car trade in to taxes, and private party sales are also subject to full taxes.
All fair but he didn’t ask if You like the configuration offered only if the deal was fair. He also selected a premium color not white so my question still stands. The car he is considering is 56k with tax (?) vs a new one (like he asked) which is 79k before tax. Still Not 3k.

Hey all, thanks for the insights. She wants the performance because of the "cool factor", but I do appreciate the points called out on the incremental upgrades made to the Y since 2020. Also, I suppose if any form of an EV tax credit passes this year, that would be helpful on the cost standpoint. She is "low-income" so qualifies for a nice $4k rebate on used cars in CA, but also $4,500 on new ones.