Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Performance (PUP w/ Uberturbines) - 7,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was recommended to post this here from Reddit. I purchased my Tesla Model Y Performance (with FSD) [MSM/Black] and put on $3,000 of PPF and tints on the vehicle. Circumstances in my life are about to change and I'm about to move to a city drastically more expensive than my current living situation.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to get the most money back out of my car? I understand that a vehicle is not an investment, and know I'll lose a ton of money with selling it now. It has around 7,000 miles on it. Located in California. I honestly have no idea what the asking price for the vehicle should be-- I got it in March and have LOVED every second of having this car. This thing FLIES.

Thanks much.

Specs:
Tesla Model Y Performance Upgrade Package (with Uberturbines) with Full Self Driving
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black Interior
Ceramic Tints (panoramic sunroof, windshield - 70%), Rear - 50%; Fronts- 35% [Rear and front are matching in tint]
Tesmanian Floor Mats (Frunk, Trunk, front, rear, trunk basement)
*I also paid for the Jeda Hub-- which should be shipping at any time.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to send me a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 215
You probably have over $70,000 into the car. Most people don't think of the destination fees and such. Keep in mind that accessories are not a value when selling a car, only to a very few select individuals. Listing them is still a good idea for it shows the value you put in the car and how well you take care of your possessions. With the price, considering the newness of the Model Y I would go no lower than 10 percent. Add all your numbers up, Multiply by .9 and see what that number is. If you're good with that number, then go no lower. Best to use any resources you can find to sell the car. There is someone that can't wait to purchase your exact car. I say this with all honesty for I just bought a model Y used from a FB member in another state. It was just what we were looking for and he had all the stuff done to it as well including the stealth wrap. Best of luck in your sale. The performance model should go quick.

Also, be sure to list on Cars.com as their postings are free or low cost, BUT beware of soooo many scammers wanting to "buy" your car via PayPal or other sites which turn out to be quite fake . . . .
Yes, this happens so often. When I list items on craigslist and the like, I use code words in the descriptions, not in the listing and advise the potential buyer to use that word in the correspondence. Example is for them to use PUP. My replies to anyone that does not, goes like this;
"Sorry to see that you failed to use the code word in your reply. Due to not conforming to these standards, your email address has been flagged as spam and is being reported to Craigslist. Any further response with out code word will be turned over to the FCC for harassment complaint." Someone that is truly interested will reply with PUP if that's what is chosen. This removes all other players from my text messages and in box.

i can buy a new Y, get $5k back from the state, pay no sales tax, not have to worry about what went on with the vehicle for 7000 miles, get a new Y that hasn't lost 50% of the tire life. etc etc all for a couple grand more than your 10% statement. while state incentives are different, 10% is completely unrealistic. Y's are getting delivered in a bout 4 weeks right now.

like i said to OP, it will be painful to sell now

I disagree.

There are buyers willing to pay to NOT wait for a Model Y . . . all you have to do is find them!

You should suffer a minimal loss.
You would be surprised but there is no wait. Just t a couple weeks ago while picking up another new Tesla I asked about new Y inventory and they said they had 4 new Performance Model Y’s available immediately. I only asked about Performance cars so I’m not sure about base cars but wouldn’t be surprised if there was immediate availability on those too. The available cars were all black interiors though. Sales tax and destination are not recoverable because they are expenses that the new buyer will also have above the purchase price.

i can buy a new Y, get $5k back from the state, pay no sales tax, not have to worry about what went on with the vehicle for 7000 miles, get a new Y that hasn't lost 50% of the tire life. etc etc all for a couple grand more than your 10% statement. while state incentives are different, 10% is completely unrealistic. Y's are getting delivered in a bout 4 weeks right now.

like i said to OP, it will be painful to sell now

Jeesh, so that rules out most NJ buyers . . . but not the other 49 states.

Please, cut the OP some slack!

Jeesh, so that rules out most NJ buyers . . . but not the other 49 states.

Please, cut the OP some slack!

I said nothing to offend the OP. he asked for input on a price and I shared my perspective. CA too has credits of $4500, where he lives. So do many other states. All of those incentives effect the used market. The used market is largely driven by wholesale auction prices which take into account national averages. Hence my comment about it being painful to sell a such a new car.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I said nothing to offend the OP. he asked for input on a price and I shared my perspective. CA too has credits of $4500, where he lives. So do many other states. All of those incentives effect the used market. The used market is largely driven by wholesale auction prices which take into account national averages. Hence my comment about it being painful to sell a such a new car.

Noted.

However, if the OP is in CA, he should most certainly market the car ASAP on any AZ Craigslist sites because private party sales there do NOT pay sales tax for used cars sold person-to-person (as in, "no dealers")!

I think there are a few other states that don't "double dip" on a private party used car purchase as well:)