Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y stops charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2020 Model Y that in the last month, that would stop charging after charging was initiated by a scheduled charge, Once I saw that the vehicle did not charge that night at midnight, I manually initiated a charge, only to find that it would start and stop after 5-10 minutes. I reset the wall connector; issue not resolved. I power cycled the power breaker and waited 10 minutes; issue not resolved.

I have a second wall charger and tried charging the Model Y and the same results, charging starts and stops after 5-10 minutes. I also have a Model 3 and it charges fine on both wall connectors.

Next, I scheduled a service appointment with the Tesla Service Center (SC). They received the car and said that the car charged fine on their wall connectos so I picked up the car only to find that it exhibited the same issues on my wall connector.

I scheduled a 2nd appointment where I insisted that they do something as we can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. So the SC changed the charge port. So I picked up the vehicle and problem persists.

I scheduled a 3rd appointment at the SC and this time they changed the ECU associated with the charge port; issue still not resolved.

I scheduled a 4th appointment at the SC and they dug a little deeper but didn't find anything in the log files so they closed the repair order and asked me to pick up the vehicle.

At this time I feel like I have an issue that Tesla has not resolved or given any guidance to remediate. I see different threads sort of like this but no definite closure.

If anyone has any ideas on resolving this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

When the charging stops on your car, do you get any message that might provide some information? Maybe if you look in the service menu?

Have you tried charging your Y at another level 2 charger to see if that works better? Either a public one or at someone else's house...

What voltage does the car/app indicate when it charges?

Reactions: UncleCreepy
When the charging stops on your car, do you get any message that might provide some information? Maybe if you look in the service menu?

Have you tried charging your Y at another level 2 charger to see if that works better? Either a public one or at someone else's house...

What voltage does the car/app indicate when it charges?
No message except the app indicates that "Charging Stopped". It works away from the house at a Tesla charging station. Voltage is ~240V. S/W version on car is 2022.44.30.

So you have two chargers at your house and the car has the same issue on both chargers? Are those two chargers power sharing with each other? When you tried to charge away from home were you using the supercharger? If a supercharger, then I would try to find a public level 2 charger instead and try that.

If the car only has a level 2 charging issue on the chargers at your house then that would mean something is amiss there. Unfortunately, you need to rule out a problem with the chargers at your home before your going to be able to push Tesla to do anything else with the vehicle. The way to do that is to use a public level 2 charger and if it still has the same problem on the public charger then you know its a vehicle issue.

That's low variation...

Since you have an old Tesla, you probably have a Gen2 wall charger? Have you configured the communication "dip" switch to Tesla protocol or J1772? Just curious, clutching at straws...
I have a Gen 2 charger. I'm not sure about the communication "dip" switch; I have the company who installed wall connector coming out on Thursday to thoroughly check voltage levels and to take some photos to send back to Tesla to determine if the wall connector has an issue. I'll verify which protocol (Tesla vs J1772) is set on the dip switch.

So you have two chargers at your house and the car has the same issue on both chargers? Are those two chargers power sharing with each other? When you tried to charge away from home were you using the supercharger? If a supercharger, then I would try to find a public level 2 charger instead and try that.

If the car only has a level 2 charging issue on the chargers at your house then that would mean something is amiss there. Unfortunately, you need to rule out a problem with the chargers at your home before your going to be able to push Tesla to do anything else with the vehicle. The way to do that is to use a public level 2 charger and if it still has the same problem on the public charger then you know its a vehicle issue.
The two chargers are not power sharing with each other. I will seek out a public level 2 charger and see if the problem persists. Thanks.

I'm back after doing some experimentation and found a solution that prevents charging from stopping. When I blocked internet communication to my Model Y using the Eero router app (wifi router), I noticed that the problem went away. So for the past two weeks I setup a profile on my Eero to pause Internet traffic to the Model Y during charging hours which is 12 midnight to 6 AM; no issues with unexpected charging stops.

Last night we forgot to charge so I starting charging with the network traffic to the Model Y allowed (8AM). Charging stopped after 5-10 minutes. I restarted charging but paused all network traffic to the Model Y and charging completed. With that said I suspect that there is something between the Tesla App and the Model Y that is causing charging to stop.

So your car stays connected to the wifi but your router blocks internet access? Or does the car revert to LTE when your router blocks it?

It feels like you are disconnecting the car from the internet, which prevents it from receiving any messages from the Tesla servers. I would then ask: have you ever configured ANY external application or web site with your Tesla credentials? Tessie, TeslaFi, Tasker Tesla extension, to name a few... You might have configured something to stop charging at specific times?

Just went through my Apps Purchased on iPhone and found the app SVCE GridShift which I removed the app 6-8 months ago, but did not close out the service.

SVCE (Silicon Valley Clean Energy) GridShift is a free mobile app that helps you optimize your EV charging at home to use cheaper, cleaner energy on the grid. I turned off an option called smart charging, shutdown the service, and received a note that it will take 7 days to completely shutdown the service. So...I'll see if that was the culprit.

I think that's it. When a device is connected to wifi, it will do all its communication through there. The car is connected to your wifi but your wifi doesn't let it talk to the Internet. 3rd party applications thus cannot send any commands to your car. I believe it's an application such as the one you list that was causing you trouble...

After waiting 7 days to close my app account with SVCE and returning internet connectivity to Model Y, the car now charges without interruption and has been doing so for ~1 week. I’m certain now that the app was causing the charging to stop.

Thanks to all for walking with me through this issue. I hope that this will help others experiencing a similar issue.