Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 model year Model 3 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model 3 LR AWD white interior came with:
  • Mobile connector in carrying case
  • J1772 Adapter
  • Rear license plate rim in trunk (Chrome, says “Model 3”. Identical to the one Tesla sells online)
  • Towing loop in Frunk
  • Carpeted floor mats, front and rear seating area
  • Microfiber black “Tesla” cleaning cloth in glove box

That is all. No Frunk mat. No hooks in Frunk.
No front plate holder?

Front plate holder will either be in the trunk, or attached at time of delivery (if you're in a state that requires a front plate). They're attached via very strong 3M sticky tape on the backside of the plate.
I know it should be there, and it won’t necessarily be attached but the OP didn’t mention one with his delivery and he mentioned everything else so that’s why I asked.

Picking up a late production 2019 (Sept 2019, silver wheels) 3 Performance shortly due to the decontenting of the 2020s.

Has anyone with a late prod 3 noticed missing door pocket lights, or is it certain that only ‘20s are missing the lights and hooks? Any chance I’ll get dead pedal?

Seems like 50/50 whether or not the improved sound insulation is on late 2019 models too or solely 2020s?

Wow. I ordered on 11/20/19 and picked it up on 12/13/19 in Alpharetta, Ga. This car had not been built as of the day it was ordered, so it's not as if it was sitting somewhere ready to be shipped.

But I'd bet they got swamped with orders because of the tax credit.
I think mostly due to location. Logistically they probably made the calculation that they would be able to make more deliveries if they delivered to California last.

Hello group,

Could anyone that has/had access to 2019 and 2020 confirm that the 2020 model premium audio is unchanged and is just as good as 2019...

I am quite disappointed that 2020 is losing features even if they are small like hooks, lights and drink carpet... It just feels sour, wrong and demotivating product-wise as a new customer.. to me...
I am glad sound insulation is seemingly improved though...

If premium audio was touched I will reconsider my order!

Please advise.

Hi Everyone,

My first post here.

Ordered White LR DM 18” Aeros 10/18

Delivered Saturday 12/28. My sales rep and his manager were really awesome. My wife recently had surgery and could not get around well, so my Sales rep home delivered.

There’s a lot of great info throughout the thread, but anyone know if there is a collective or official list somewhere of the detailed differences between 2020 and the previous Model 3s?
Not just on items removed or no longer included, but also on any additions or enhancements/improvements made (if any).

Thanks in advance.

There’s a lot of great info throughout the thread, but anyone know if there is a collective or official list somewhere of the detailed differences between 2020 and the previous Model 3s?
Not just on items removed or no longer included, but also on any additions or enhancements/improvements made (if any).

Thanks in advance.

I was a little late pulling the trigger on a stealth performance m3 since I was traveling and my sales rep had left me a message but I did not get to it in time. ☹️ I was really bummed.
Then the $2k software update came out and my sales rep called me about this.

I asked if the motors in the Stealth Performance / Performance Model was different from my Dual Motor and my sales rep told me yes the motors from what he was told were different.

He called me a week later and said that he researched this further with production and service and found out that motors for current production are the same. He was told the software was enabling the Stealth Performance / Performance to go faster.

Now I don’t have anything in writing and I want to believe what my Sales rep found out and shared is true but without being able to research the sku numbers and verify for myself I just don’t know for sure.

Now from a manufacturing perspective it makes sense that the same motors would be used to keep manufacturing costs stable and for replacements and service. Just like how computer companies use same internal parts like power supplies, main boards etc across different models with the main difference being processor speed, software or apps.

I also believe mid 2019 and up have the newer computer hardware (more storage and processing power?). My buddy told me this. He has a 2019 M3 made early 2019 and this something he found out from Tesla Service.

If I have been shared poor info please let me know.

I'm taking delivery on a M3 next week in Sweden. I have been trying to get information from the sales and delivery team about the model year and if my car will have the noise cancellation improvements. They can't tell if it has the noise reduction improvements.. I only got the factory gate date from the delivery team and it is early november. Don't know where to turn.

From what I read in this thread it seems like it will, as it is a late 2019 car. Will I be safe or should I postpone the delivery date to get a newer car?

I'm taking delivery on a M3 next week in Sweden. I have been trying to get information from the sales and delivery team about the model year and if my car will have the noise cancellation improvements. They can't tell if it has the noise reduction improvements.. I only got the factory gate date from the delivery team and it is early november. Don't know where to turn.

From what I read in this thread it seems like it will, as it is a late 2019 car. Will I be safe or should I postpone the delivery date to get a newer car?

From what I’ve read the early November models are showing 2020 VINs which should be the new insulation. Maybe someone who has taken delivery of a November make can clear this up 100% for you. I get my car in 2 weeks so I will update everyone on the 2020 inclusions/exclusions.

From what I’ve read the early November models are showing 2020 VINs which should be the new insulation. Maybe someone who has taken delivery of a November make can clear this up 100% for you. I get my car in 2 weeks so I will update everyone on the 2020 inclusions/exclusions.

My build was November 2019, and it is listed as a 2020 model. The VIN decodes as such (L indicates model year 2020).

As for noise reduction I find it moderate compared to past cars I’ve owned. The only data point I have to other Model 3s is one I rode in several months ago with Uber. It was noticeably bumpy and noisy in the back and mine seems to be quieter. Not sure if that helps but it’s what I got.

tesla_label.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TOPSCRT
My build was November 2019, and it is listed as a 2020 model. The VIN decodes as such (L indicates model year 2020).

As for noise reduction I find it moderate compared to past cars I’ve owned. The only data point I have to other Model 3s is one I rode in several months ago with Uber. It was noticeably bumpy and noisy in the back and mine seems to be quieter. Not sure if that helps but it’s what I got.

Thanks for the update both! I got the VIN as well and it is a 2020 model. It left the factory 7th of November. Elon Musk tweeted about the noise reduction on the 31th of October that it applied to the current production.

• Helpful
Reactions: TOPSCRT