Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MS Uploading data like crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is very common for me to see little bits and bytes of data being uploaded or downloaded almost constantly from my Model S to the mothership when I am connected to my home Wifi. .A couple of K here and there is quite normal.

When there is a firmware upgrade or map upgrade being downloaded naturally the download is quite high, usually at about 7-10 meg per second.

Today I noticed that the upload was hovering at about 5 meg per second for about an hour.

Looks like Tesla knows all of my secrets and driving habits now.

Does anyone know what Tesla is looking at?

Yes, they have what are called “snapshots” which are video segments collected by the autopilot computer for segments the computer is asked to find. So you had something the car was looking for happen, and it saved a snapshot and sent it up to the mothership for analysis.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
You can disable this but then you lose some features of Autopilot I believe. Check out the permission section of your MCU screen. It’s there.
You can disable Data Sharing, and you do not lose any features or functionality. The snapshot uploads are only for Tesla’s internal teams to improve the NN and labeling architecture.

You may be thinking this could inhibit the “Sentry” uploads that Tesla claims to be keeping in the cloud. I’m still unsure if that’s ever actually been proven as something customers can make use of in reality.

You can disable Data Sharing, and you do not lose any features or functionality. The snapshot uploads are only for Tesla’s internal teams to improve the NN and labeling architecture.

You may be thinking this could inhibit the “Sentry” uploads that Tesla claims to be keeping in the cloud. I’m still unsure if that’s ever actually been proven as something customers can make use of in reality.
Actually I a previous software update, I did disable it, and I got a warning that one of the feature of autopilot would no longer function. I don't remember what it was, but I'll try it again tomorrow... unless you have time tonight to see if it happens for you.

AW-HA! The light just went on.

The other day I was driving in our neighborhood and tried to turn on Autopilot but it would not engage.

A few minutes later it worked just fine. WTF I said to myself.

Looking at the road that I initially tried and the lines where not there. Nice wide road here in the boonies but no lines.

Got to the main road and everything works.

The only other error that I have seen is when my big foot hits the go pedal and the stop pedal at the same time.

I tried to use autopilot multiple times so that error may very well be what they what to look at.

Thanks for the help!

Just because I’m a curious creature, I just went and turned off both options for data sharing (and read the text on screen). Nothing about features being disabled

Actually I just found it.

On the Data sharing Page, you have two options. The top one won't disable any features or capabilities, but the bottom on disables the "Online Routine" for Navigation. If you turn the bottom one off, and then you go into Navigation settings, you'll notice that Online Routing is turned off automatically and if you try to turn it on, you get his message (see thumbnail below)

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: KyleDay