Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MS - Where to set up SSD for Sentry? Interior vinyl wraps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I need some guidance on where to place the SSD for snetry footage. I have currently have Jr sitting under the wireless charging sliding panel, however, I am running into issues with cable not being stable and the camera stops recording. I did not have an issue like this in M3 and am so frustrated to see how Tesla is going above and beyond to fix the issues in their cheaper cars but completely ignore the owners of S/X. The center console area has these stupid armrests but Tesla couldn't even offer us storage under those arm rests. It's a huge waste of space and I can't wrap my head around the lack of storage space in Model S. It's shocking how Tesla gets away with treating their higher end customers lesser than the ones buying their cheaper models. End of rant....

Anyways, can any of you please post your setup for the SSD? Also I can't find any vinyl wraps for interior of Model S unlike M3 that has several third party options available.

@umair239 I would recommend adding a picture to help understanding the issue and helping finding a solution.

I have a Model 3 but I didn't like the location of the USB as they are not always easy to access,
and may interfere with storage, or access for the rear passengers. when a dongle or a cable is inserted.

I find useful adding some USB extension cable with (left or right, or up or down) angle to help with those issues.

You already have everything, but this avoids it all. Everything is in the tiny Mobilemate, not much larger than the USB Plug.:

SanDisk MAX Endurance microSD Card - 256GB
SKU: SDSQQVR-256G-AN6IA
Capacity: 256 GB
Qty: 1

$84.99

Mobilemate USB 3.0 Reader
SKU: SDDR-B531-AN6NN
Placeholder: Placeholder
Qty: 1

$12.99

Reactions: Watts_Up
There have been some discussions about SSD vs SD Card

From my own experience, as I use those both for my TeslaCam and my Blackvue dashcam,
I would recommend using a Micro SD XC because they are very reliable.

The SD Cards can work in extreme temperature range between -25°C and 85°C (-13°F to 185°F),
which is important as the SD cards seem to overheat when used.

There have been some discussions about SSD vs SD Card

From my own experience, as I use those both for my TeslaCam and my Blackvue dashcam,
I would recommend using a Micro SD XC because they are very reliable.

The SD Cards can work in extreme temperature range between -25°C and 85°C (-13°F to 185°F),
which is important as the SD cards seem to overheat when used.
The Endurance mico SD cards (Samsung and Sandisk make them) like I recommended are specifically designed for dash cams use, 10 years of continuous recording (120,000 hours), and are temperature proof, water proof, and shock proof - with a 15 year warranty. They are designed to be written over and over again.

Haha I just checked my post and man did I mistype a bunch. What I meant is where do I place the SSD that is connected to the USB connection port but I can't find a reliable place to hide or place the SSD without it coming in the way of the wireless phone charging panel.
Thank you @DerbyDave and @Watts_Up your solution is perfect. I'll buy a micro SD xc card.

I put mine behind the drivers side panel on the side of the center console . It was a bit of a pain to get the panel off . I had to slide seat one way, pop part of panel off, then slide seat the other way, and pop the rest of it off . Then twist and turn to to get it out . Took about 10 minutes I guess .I think i also had to pop the back of the console off too (where the cup holder is ) .
I then velcroe'd the SSD to the body of the center console and ran cables to it , Then put panel back on ...its well hidden .

As for connection,:
I used a right angle USB cable to go under the console (right under the port-) and then an extension cable to the SSD . I can give you details if interested but it works well and I can simply unplug the extension USB cable where it meets the right angel adapter and hook to my laptop to do any work on the SSD . I have it partitioned for camera and music...works very we ll and is fairly secure I think .

If you want further details let me know, I don't mind , Just don't want to waste a lot of time typing if its not needed

Hope that gives you dome ideas

You already have everything, but this avoids it all. Everything is in the tiny Mobilemate, not much larger than the USB Plug.:

SanDisk MAX Endurance microSD Card - 256GB

Mobilemate USB 3.0 Reader

Basically my set-up. Pretty much invisible. I didn't want to pull the console or re-route to the glove-box.

Of course the new 3 (and Y?) for 2021 have Sentry USB in the (lockable) glovebox. ;)

I put mine behind the drivers side panel on the side of the center console . It was a bit of a pain to get the panel off . I had to slide seat one way, pop part of panel off, then slide seat the other way, and pop the rest of it off . Then twist and turn to to get it out . Took about 10 minutes I guess .I think i also had to pop the back of the console off too (where the cup holder is ) .
I then velcroe'd the SSD to the body of the center console and ran cables to it , Then put panel back on ...its well hidden .

As for connection,:
I used a right angle USB cable to go under the console (right under the port-) and then an extension cable to the SSD . I can give you details if interested but it works well and I can simply unplug the extension USB cable where it meets the right angel adapter and hook to my laptop to do any work on the SSD . I have it partitioned for camera and music...works very we ll and is fairly secure I think .

If you want further details let me know, I don't mind , Just don't want to waste a lot of time typing if its not needed

Hope that gives you dome ideas

Hey thanks a lot for offering detailed instructions. I have ordered the SD card and the USB reader for now. But if it didn't work out for I will definitely be asking for your help since I also have the SSD and it will be my only option if this doesn't work. Once again, I appreciate you offering your help. Have a good day kind stranger and thank you to the others who answered my questions.