Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MX Locked up and Required Tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was really strange. After the last software update both keys were rendered non-functional and wouldn't open the doors. After much research online and reading the manual I tried everything. New remote batteries didn't work even though I knew it wasn't that. I was able to get into the car unlocking it via the app. I reset the software several times to no avail. I tried keyless driving to get it to the service center but as soon as I got the "you have 2 minutes to drive" notice and tried to put it in D it would not allow it and went right back to "key not found." I tried the method of placing a key at the correct location below the door and then by USB port which also didn't work.

After the above I used the app to open a repair ticket with the first appointment in Spokane, WA 1 week out so I booked that. I was texted by an agent who confirmed I'd done all the above. Once he knew no methods worked, including keyless driving, a tow truck was immediately summoned. I was pretty impressed that the truck arrived in an hour considering it was coming from Spokane and I am in a rural area in east Coeur d’Alene, ID. Since the car wouldn't even go into N we figured out how to put in "tow mode" so the car could be rolled out of the garage and into a very steep driveway where it was pulled up onto the flatbed.

Anyway - the next day I got a call from the service center that it was ready and required a "reset." I explained I had done several resets and he explained those are "soft resets" and it required a "hard reset" which only they can do with their computer. Going to pick it up today. Overall the service response was pretty good. Anyone else ever required a hard reset? Hopefully it's an anomaly. The car has 7200 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 126
A hard reset is step on brake pedal, press and hold both steering wheel buttons. When the screens all go blank (10 secs or so) release. Systems will come back up one by one over the next 30 to 60 seconds.

I do this after every online update.

There is another reset I have done which is open the frunk and disconnect, wat 10 secs, and reconnect the 1st responder wire (don't cut it like the panel says unless you are a first responder and the car is on fire:D). This fixed a state where I could not get the car into drive or reverse and had to get the car towed. I had tried the hard reset I described above and it had no effect.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: ScottFLA and VikH
A hard reset is step on brake pedal, press and hold both steering wheel buttons. When the screens all go blank (10 secs or so) release. Systems will come back up one by one over the next 30 to 60 seconds.

I do this after every online update.

There is another reset I have done which is open the frunk and disconnect, wat 10 secs, and reconnect the 1st responder wire (don't cut it like the panel says unless you are a first responder and the car is on fire:D). This fixed a state where I could not get the car into drive or reverse and had to get the car towed. I had tried the hard reset I described above and it had no effect.

One of the resets I tried included the brake pedal being pushed at same time of dual dials. That didn't work. The reason I tried that only once is....going by memory....the manual doesn't mention that method for the 2020 MX. Also, the texts from the agent didn't instruct that and I was told only to use the dials. I could be wrong on that but I did run across that suggestion online and did try it. Hopefully I'll get more answers when I pick it up. Trust me, I didn't want to be "that guy" who had his car towed when there was an easy workaround. Nobody wants to be that guy. :)

....the manual doesn't mention that method for the 2020 MX.

TMX: There is a Power Cycle via Power Off documented in the Model X manual.
TM3: There is no 'Power Cycling' via the 'Power Off' menu option in the Model 3 manual. It is in an are for a normal exit car and it turns off.

Tesla Model X manual:
Cz8unJ3.jpg

Tesla Model 3 manual:
Powering Off
When you fi nish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating.

When you leave Model 3 with your authenticated phone and key card, it powers off automatically, turning off the touchscreen. Model 3 also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.

Although usually not needed, you can power off Model 3 while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Vehicle Power > Power Off. Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

This TMX 2020.20 manual is the most current one I've seen and it is on page 65.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Thanks. That is strange. Page 65 on the manual I have talks about trailer mode. In any event, just picked up the car and spoke for a bit with the tech. He advised the only way for the owner to do a hard reset is to partially disassemble something within the Frunk and then disconnect the wiring for a few minutes, which is what looks like jboy210 was referencing. The tech said Tesla doesn't put it in the manual because they really don't want people doing it but "people YouTube it" and do it. The power cycle thing has me curious though. Anyway, I am going to get familiar with both methods before I drive 2600 miles back to Florida. Thx for the replies.

Reactions: scottf200
Thanks. That is strange. Page 65 on the manual I have talks about trailer mode. In any event, just picked up the car and spoke for a bit with the tech. He advised the only way for the owner to do a hard reset is to partially disassemble something within the Frunk and then disconnect the wiring for a few minutes, which is what looks like jboy210 was referencing. The tech said Tesla doesn't put it in the manual because they really don't want people doing it but "people YouTube it" and do it. The power cycle thing has me curious though. Anyway, I am going to get familiar with both methods before I drive 2600 miles back to Florida. Thx for the replies.

As soon as you said under the Frunk there are only two options. One is the 1st responder wire. The second is the 12 volt battery connector. The Tesla tech that walked me through doing the 1st responder wire said this is how you fix the car not "going into gear".

Honestly I should refresh my memory on this procedure. It happened in June of 2018 and has not happened since.

Reactions: ScottFLA