Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MX Raven LR+ home charging solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, is there a general consensus on the ideal home charging solution for a new MX? Not sure if I should get a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage and get the $35 adapter for the new charger, or get one of the $500 home chargers from Tesla with the 18' cable. Also curious if anyone knows whether there is any difference in the cost of the electrical work necessary for both of those options? Thank you!

Hey all, is there a general consensus on the ideal home charging solution for a new MX? Not sure if I should get a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage and get the $35 adapter for the new charger, or get one of the $500 home chargers from Tesla with the 18' cable. Also curious if anyone knows whether there is any difference in the cost of the electrical work necessary for both of those options? Thank you!

Wall Connector is ideal. Keep the portable charger with the car for emergency use.

I had a 14-50 outlet installed in the garage for my 2016 MX when I first got the car. I was getting ~21-22 miles/hr charge with Gen 2 cable that came with the car. Then I picked up a Gen 1 charging cable from Craigslist, and it gives me ~26-27 miles/hr.

Using the same Gen 1 cable on my new 2020 MX LR+, I am getting around ~30-31 miles/hr charge.

This is my primary charging cable at home, and it serves both MXs.

I have the Gen 2 cables in each of the MXs as my "road kit" if I can't be near an SC. But I did have to pay $35 to Tesla for a 14-50 adaptor for 2020 MX.

The only thing that is different is with my 2016 MX, when I want to stop charging, I press "stop charging" button on the main screen, and I can see the charging countown to zero, and then I can press the "unlock" button to unhook the cable from the car.

On my new 2020 MX LR+, the "stop charging" button doesn't have the same effect as the 2016 MX. It doesn't countown to zero. So I just press "unlock", and then I unhook the charging cable from the car. Although I have not tried charging with the original Gen 2 cable that came with the car or at the SC yet.

Taking delivery this week and had the same dilemma to solve. I finally decided to order the wall connector after weighing everything including installation cost by a Tesla certified pro. That way I won't have to plug/unplug the mobile connector daily and causing friction & wear/tear on the outlet, but simply keep it in the car for emergencies with no SC in sight. Now I just have to get over the concern of parking it in a steamy hot Florida garage.

That way I won't have to plug/unplug the mobile connector daily
You never do anyway.
I see this idea from people who are new coming into this who haven't lived with it yet. There really is no need to keep the mobile connector in the car all the time. Remember that the mobile connector is only for plugging into outlets. When would you really even find an opportunity to do that away from your house?

Remember that all of these charging methods don't even use that mobile charging cord:
1. Superchargers
2. All kinds of public charging stations, like CHAdeMO and J1772 connections.
3. Destination charging stations at hotels and things. Those are Tesla wall connectors with the plug already there.

You're in Tampa Florida, not Siberia. I would find it nearly impossible that you could get out of range of some kind of public charging station and need to resort to plugging into an outlet in a building. So what a lot of long time owners do is just leave the mobile cable hanging on a hook on the wall of the garage almost all the time. And a few times a year, when you're planning a trip to some unknown area, then sure, go ahead and grab that cable and take it with you for the possibly unexpected. I've been going this way for over six years now.

You never do anyway.
I see this idea from people who are new coming into this who haven't lived with it yet. There really is no need to keep the mobile connector in the car all the time. Remember that the mobile connector is only for plugging into outlets. When would you really even find an opportunity to do that away from your house?

Remember that all of these charging methods don't even use that mobile charging cord:
1. Superchargers
3. Destination charging stations at hotels and things. Those are Tesla wall connectors with the plug already there.

You're in Tampa Florida, not Siberia. I would find it nearly impossible that you could get out of range of some kind of public charging station and need to resort to plugging into an outlet in a building. So what a lot of long time owners do is just leave the mobile cable hanging on a hook on the wall of the garage almost all the time. And a few times a year, when you're planning a trip to some unknown area, then sure, go ahead and grab that cable and take it with you for the possibly unexpected. I've been going this way for over six years now.
Good point!

You never do anyway.

1. Superchargers

Having owned EVs for 5 yrs, I totally agree with this. I’d save the money on the HPWC and use the mobile charger (gen 1 if you can find one for gen 2 should be fine with a 14-50 adapter). Our gen 1 works great and now gets 30-31 mph charge on the 2020 X LR+.

Having owned EVs for 5 yrs, I totally agree with this. I’d save the money on the HPWC and use the mobile charger (gen 1 if you can find one for gen 2 should be fine with a 14-50 adapter). Our gen 1 works great and now gets 30-31 mph charge on the 2020 X LR+.
I will say that the Gen1s were built pretty marginally for running at 40A all the time, and a lot of people had things melt or burn out from that. I keep mine turned down to about 31A just because I never need faster charging than that for constant use every day, but could turn it up if I ever need it.

The amount of labor will be similar, with perhaps slightly more to install the Tesla Wall Connector. Materials for the new circuit will be higher for the Wall Connector, because the Wall Connector can use a 60 Amp circuit, at it's full 80% capacity of 48 Amps, which is the maximum for new Tesla models. The mobile connector maximum circuit required is 40 Amps, which can then charge at 32 Amps. Wire gauge will be heavier and more costly for the 60 Amp, however there is nothing wrong with using 60 Amp wire even for the 14/50 receptacle.

If it were me, I would install a 60 Amp circuit, terminate in a 14/50 which is rated for a max of 50 Amps so breaker must be 50 Amp max. Incremental cost going from a 40 Amp circuit to a 60 Amp is minimal. Use this with you mobile connector and see how it works for you. If later you want to spring for the Wall Connector, it will be minimal work.

In my area, I am served by PG&E and they provided an $800 dollar incentive for EV equipment and installation.

Last edited: