Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MYLR climate failure - heat pump replacement out of warranty $$$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several climate control issues have popped up over the last year (climate unavailable and vcfront447?) but recently with summer approaching and a Florida trip next month I decided to get the heat pump serviced… The car has 141,000 miles on it and it is very much out of warranty.

They originally quoted $681 to diagnose and repair the problem suspecting pressure sensors and new refrigerant. an updated invoice is now available and services indicated they found a coolant leak in the octovalve manifold and they would need to replace the entire octovalve./ Super manifold for approximately $2000 parts and labor.

No other major service has been done on the car other than a $300 front suspension issue.

I’ve heard about others having to pay $4-5,000 so I suppose it could be worse. And I should start budgeting for such repairs but I’ve been spoiled by how well the car has been.

Leaning towards approving the repair but asked them for a day to chat it over with wife

This repair spread out of my mileage is $0.01420 a mile. Which makes me feel a little better?

Any input and advice or comforting perhaps lol would be appreciated

Reactions: beachmiles
You drive A LOT!

I was going to mention the extended warranty, but I dont think any of that would have helped you regardless.

My comforting words would be thats all you had to do for 140k, thats not bad compared to a gas car, at worst its on par. Probably $1400 in oil changes alone (assuming $50 each just to be pessimistic). In my 2010 Prius ay 140k I went through 1 set of sparkplugs and needed every fluid in the car... engine coolant, transmission, brake, (also inverter coolant, but lets assume you didnt need that, pessimistic again). Not to mention the time spent having all of that done. BTW, I havent even touched on how much money you've saved on gas. Oh yea and brake jobs (probably at least 2 or 3)

Actually, thats a good question, how many times have you changed your brake pads over that 140k?

WAKE-UP CALL for anyone about to run out of the 50k miles warranty? As summer approaches, carefully check the HVAC function, hot and cold.

I'm at 45k, in north Texas, with temps bouncing all over the place. HVAC on auto, set at 71f, and twice in the past 2 weeks HVAC wouldn't warm the cabin until I moved the temp to "HI." Ambient temp was 60ish, cabin temp similar.

I'm thinking a balky HVAC temp sensor, but wonder how I can convince them to replace it, if it is functioning intermittently?

I don't want it to fail next winter when I'll probably be out of warranty.

Reactions: Marks321
Same experience here - had mine all replaced a few months back. $4000 CAD. Bit of a bummer but similarly I’m over 109,000km on my 2020 now with no other major repairs. I suspect these early heat pumps have design issues but no dice getting Tesla to admit to anything or cover any of the cost.

Just remember, it isn't really optional if that makes you feel better... without functional AC your battery can't cool down properly after a supercharging session... if you are road tripping the car to Florida you will be doing several supercharging sessions and you don't want to stress the battery... it is a heck of a lot more expensive than the AC repair!

Keith

Just remember, it isn't really optional if that makes you feel better... without functional AC your battery can't cool down properly after a supercharging session... if you are road tripping the car to Florida you will be doing several supercharging sessions and you don't want to stress the battery... it is a heck of a lot more expensive than the AC repair!

Keith
I've never heard this before, and wondering if you can confirm this? Thanks.

A note to OP. First, I encourage you to have the repair performed. Second, related to mobile service just performed on my car. Replace the cabin air filters at the same time. Mine were pretty badly clogged at 2.6 years and 26000 miles. They looked like an overfull vacuum cleaner bag and had noticeably reduced air flow from my vents. Enjoy your trip to sunny, hot FL.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I haven’t found compressor speed in ScanMyTesla, but I used to monitor that on my EV6. Regular heat or A/C use would have it spin between 800-2,800 RPMs, but very rarely over that. Hook up to a 350 kW DCFC and the compressor would quickly spin to 6,000 RPMs and stay there for about five minutes after charging had completed to keep the battery happy.

I remember hearing the compressor in my ‘19 Model 3 when I was Supercharging, so it’s been part of the battery thermal management system since before the Octovalve and modern heat pump setup. The only place my car would go after compressor failure is to the shop for repair. I’d be aggravated over the cost, but it’s not really an option IMHO.

@Marks321, I think this all boils down to what @Fourdoor mentioned: what choice do you really have? Other than replacing the car (always an option), having a car today without fully-working HVAC, especially in cold or hot climes (Florida), is a non-starter for me and likely most of us. There’s no way to feel good about spending two large for any repair other than it was forced upon you, you had no input, and whether you like the situation or not there’s no avoidance. Sort of like having your county tax assessor reevaluate your home.

This falls under the category of crap happens, the roof has a new leak, the cat missed the litter box, the reactor core temperature seems too high, you get the picture. Buck up, fix the car, sign the check or tap-to-pay option, and enjoy your trip and the rest of the car’s life with you. Indeed sorry that it happened, but yeah, it happened.