Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MYP - needs rear tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got those pucks they are 100% Needed.. just trying to figure out how to lift rear with 1 jack .. both rear need repl.

I found a seller with 90% used rear pzero for $105 each cant beat it
Besides changing one rear tire at a time you can use the front lift point to raise both wheels on that side off the ground (yes, the frame is that stiff.) Then you can use one stand for support at the rear and proceed with raising the other side using the same technique. The jack pads are designed for use with a floor jack, not a stand. I would be concerned the Tesla might slip off of the stand.

Reactions: a2t2
I noticed that when I jacked up the left rear.. left front came up about half as much. Car must be back heavy ?

Anyways I just used 2 floor jacks one on each side and took the wheels to the tire shop. I thought about using jack stans on rear while jacking front but my jack stands aren’t meant for the circular puck. That would of been super sketchy and this car is extremely heavy. Not worth that risk.

There were Multiple nails in each. The one that blew out had a 1/4 hole from something though and was also pretty worn out. I did find a tire shop with used 275/35/21 p zero without the foam for $125 ea mounted / balanced. 220 treadwear also.. not the best but we will see how long they last.

However I did learn buying used tires with this low of a sidewall is a total gamble. The first looked perfect but then had a golf ball sized bubble in the sidewall once fully inflated on the rim. Sucks because it was brand new looking unmounted. There’s no way to know if that tire hit a pothole that damaged the sidewall. Prob good reason why it was sitting in a used tire shop.

The other 2 were fine though and had about 90% tread left. For a $800 savings it was worth it but just know that buying a used low profile tire is a crapshoot, definitely have them mount it and then inspect carefully. It’s very easy to bubble a sidewall on a pothole running 35 series

I don’t notice much noise difference without the foam, maybe slightly louder.. the foam also is only a narrow strip in middle of tire not sure it actually does much. I’m guessing they might be a little louder because the tire has prob been sitting and rubber cures at room temperature so prob harder than a new tire would be.

Lastly - yes it’s absolutely possible to mount the modern spare in trunk under the floor. You need to remove the tub and use a milk crate or something under it to support it but it will fit under the floor and allow floor to sit flush just as it always did. I’ll show pics once it gets here, I’m definitely not driving without a spare again this whole thing was ridiculous..