Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MYP - needs rear tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all Im sure this has been discussed but in a bind here... had a flat last nite on my 2020 MYP rear left, 275/35/21 Pzero.

What are my options here ? I would like to get tires that last longer. Do I need to focus only on tesla special foam version tires or can I just anything in that size ? I just need to get something quick, Im looking locally on fb marketplace. Not changing out wheels or anything and fronts are fine but I will also replace the right rear as its pretty low.

thanks for advice

The foam insert slightly reduces the tire noise but makes it more time consuming for a tire shop to plug or patch the tire if it gets a puncture (some shops refuse to repair tires with a foam liner.) The current 2022 Performance Model Y vehicles comes equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires (about $70 less expensive than than the PZero tire), I would start there. Tirerack.com or Discount Tire would a good source for tires and tire information.

Last edited:
ok thanks so dont worry much about the foam ? tire rack out of the pilot sports but may be some locally fs used. wish discount tire were open today i need this car up and running tomorrow morning but likely not happening

ok thanks so dont worry much about the foam ? tire rack out of the pilot sports but may be some locally fs used. wish discount tire were open today i need this car up and running tomorrow morning but likely not happening
There are very few tire choices for the Performance Model Y 255/35R-21 (front) and 275/35R-21 (rear) wheels. You can go with a tire that is slightly wider (usually this is done with the rear tires.) There are multiple threads on this topic. If you purchase replacement wheels in 19" or 20" then there would be more tire choices.

If you contact Tesla Roadside Assistance it is possible that they can send a tow truck that also has a spare wheel for the Performance Model Y rear (size 275/35R-21.) Then you would have a few days to obtain a replacement tire or tires and return the loaner wheel.

It is a personal choice. I consider the foam insert in the OE tires to be more trouble than it is worth. A slight improvement in tire boominess noise at the expense of repair shops refusing to work on repairing the tire. (All that is needed to do is dismount the tire, cut away a small area of the foam liner and repair the puncture. Finally glue to cut away piece of foam back into place.) Tire shops don't want to take the time.

Last edited:
ok good suggestion, i just requested loaner wheel from roadside...

they did give me a tow last night so i took it home and now sitting in garage ... i will ask if they can provide a loaner wheel.

not going to buy smaller rims im keeping 21s so just looking for good suggestions for replacement tires for rear 275/35/21

ok good suggestion, i just requested loaner wheel from roadside...

they did give me a tow last night so i took it home and now sitting in garage ... i will ask if they can provide a loaner wheel.

not going to buy smaller rims im keeping 21s so just looking for good suggestions for replacement tires for rear 275/35/21
The Pirelli PZero Performance Summer tires are super sticky as long as the temperature is above 45F, otherwise the rubber compound in these tires turns rock hard. They also wear quickly. The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 can be driven in temperatures below 45F without losing their grip and wear longer. You would want to get both front and rear tires. (Keep one old front and one old rear tire as spares.)

no loaner wheel. $500 for them to replace just 1 rear tire with Pzero, lead time unknown ... sucks. just looking to repl both rear at this point

regarding the spare - are there any that fit into the trunk or frunk ? or would it need to just be on the floor ?

no loaner wheel. $500 for them to replace just 1 rear tire with Pzero, lead time unknown ... sucks. just looking to repl both rear at this point

regarding the spare - are there any that fit into the trunk or frunk ? or would it need to just be on the floor ?
The only spare currently available as far as I am aware is the Modern Spare.

The Modern Spare is too large in diameter to fit in the lower storage bin in the rear or in the front trunk storage bin. There are threads that detail removing the front or rear bin to accommodate the spare. Many leave the spare at home unless on a road trip.

For everyday preparedness carry a 12V tire inflator pump and a tire plug kit.

Water based Slime tire sealant is supposed to be safe for use in wheels with tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) sensors and may be useful in sealing some punctures but the foam insert can interfere with the slime reaching, sealing the puncture. (Tire repair shops hate cleaning out slime from tires even more than tires with foam inserts.)

Modern Spare for Tesla Model Y

Last edited:
The quickest thing for you to do is look for the exact tire you already have, a Pirelli PZero 275/35ZR21. You don't want to mix and match tires here (one michelin all season with pzeros or front pzeros and rear michelins). The foam is totally optional an I'd try to avoid the foam tire if possible even. So I think your option is get either 1 or both rear pzeros in the factory size and replace them. If they are already sort of low I'd just buy 2 new tires for the rear. You are of course committing to sticking with the pzeros at this point.

Tirerack or discount tire is your best bet for a quick turn around. I'd try discount tire. I looked and these seem to be in stock. Call discount tire and they are usually pretty helpful and can direct you.

If you want to be more ambitious (but will likely end up with you waiting longer to get your car on the road) you can also investigate larger sizes and moving to the michelin all season pilot 4 tires. These seem to be much harder to source and are on backorder in some sizes. There are some threads about larger sizes if you want to try that also for a bit more sidewall protection. But now your cost is doubled as you are looking at all 4 tires. I also have a 2020MYP and I'm trying to decide what to do here. I recently got a flat but was able to get it patched (they had to remove the foam) so I have delayed my tire fiasco for a few months at least while I look.

No the tire slime wouldnt of worked .. 3" rip in sidewall. Sucks the modern spare isnt able to be stored, and not having it in car at ALL times is a major liability. Case in point last night - totally missed my kids sr prom pics as dealing with flatbed back to my house took 5 hours when i could of changed to a spare in 5 minutes. so frustrating .. car needs a damn spare and needs a damn place to store it and i dont mean in the back seat...

ill look for a used Pzero on fb market and see. the mich are totally back ordered so not option for me at least in this size. what a pain.

anyone got link to how to store a modern spare in a logical way in the car at all times ?

btw thanks for all help .. just frustrated and have to go out of town all week for business so the car will have to wait till next weekend...

I’ll figure out a way to put it in front trunk

Hey does anyone know how to put jack stands under rear ? I need to remove both rear tires and have the pucks and 1 jack and bunch of normal jack stands.. can I put a jack stand under the rear suspension ?

Saw those, they look sweet! Pricey tho.. I doubt I’ll ever lift this vehicle again so hate to invest in a one time use item like that.

I guess I could use 2 jacks but I hate leaving a jack bearing weight for long