Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 P100D vs 2022 Standard Non-Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to buy my first Tesla Model S and am having a helluva time figuring out which direction to go:

1. pre-owned 2020 Model S P100D w/FSD

2. 2022 Model S (non-plaid)

I'm not in a rush.

Would it be worthwhile to wait for the 2022 given the newer technology? The pricing seems about the same.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2022. I drove a P100D back to back with a M3P before I got my first Tesla. I preferred the 3. Just felt newer and more well thought out. The new S reverses that and is actually worth the extra money now. The base model also pulls harder than P100D after 60 and is software limited to 60 so as to not cannibalize Plaid.

I have a 2020 MS LR+ (not Performance) and I'm glad I bought when I did. Sure, the 2022 is faster, but it also costs more. The 2020 is plenty fast for me.

I haven't driven a 2021, but I don't think I'd like the yoke. This is a daily driver for me, not a track car. I think the worst part is having no controls on the stalk -- way too much to re-learn, especially when I have to drive one of my other vehicles.

I also prefer the screen embedded in the dash -- looks so much better. I guess a horizontal screen would be much better when watching Netflix in the car, but that's a rare occasion for me.

I suggest test driving them both if you can.

• Love
Reactions: Boza
You really need to drive a refresh MS to decide. You may find the changes, including yoke steering, to be a positive or you may find them undesirable. If you decide to go P100D / Performance, you may want to wait anyway and see where used car prices go from here. They're still overinflated right now, and not just for Teslas.

Reactions: Dannietjoh
@pabla can you comment on the interior material quality, and cabin noise?
The interior is really in a different league from pre-refresh. Of course there is the yoke and new center screen orientation. But other improvements include: double-pained window glass, new central console with armrest, cupholders and compartments in the right place, capacitive phone chargers in front / rear, rear display and controls, rear armrest, better LED lights, properly sized sunshades, nicer materials and cleaner look, vented / cooling seats in front, auto cabin noise reduction, 22 speaker sound system, etc.

Besides the interior, the performance and torque curve are off the charts... huge improvement. I came from a 2018 S, and so the suspension updates are also great.

2022. I drove a P100D back to back with a M3P before I got my first Tesla. I preferred the 3. Just felt newer and more well thought out. The new S reverses that and is actually worth the extra money now. The base model also pulls harder than P100D after 60 and is software limited to 60 so as to not cannibalize Plaid.
RavenPower.png
The combined power of the front and rear motors of the raven performance at 110 mph is about 500 kw (172.5 + 330.5). That's about 670 hp which is the combined hp of the refreshed model s long range. So up to 110 mph the raven will pull harder than the refresh model s. Because the refresh has two of the permanent magnet motors its horsepower will not fall off as fast as the raven's, and the refresh will pull harder after 110 mph.

The refresh is a little lighter and has less aerodynamic drag so that should help it somewhat.

The refresh has two 335 hp motors, but during acceleration the weight shifts to the rear wheels so you can't make use of the full torque of the front motor without spinning the front tires. Once the speed is high enough that the front wheels are no longer torque limited, full use of the 335 hp becomes possible. During hard acceleration they only seem to be able to send about half as much torque to the front wheels as they do to the rear.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely they disable one of the motors for sport mode. Then it's either rwd if they disable the front motor, or it has a massive torque vector if they disable one side of the rear motors. Most likely they just adjust the power curve in software.

But the plaid performance in sport mode is close to the long range.

Last edited:
Good points in this thread. I was thinking about selling my 2020 MSP because resale was attractive. Pristine with 5K miles, FSD and USC I think it would be an easy sell. I am not sure I want a yoke and I would like to have the new Tesla batteries or solid state batteries in my Model S. Also with the delivery so far out it is kind of annoying.

Goodluck on whatever you choose.

M

Reactions: Tluv and Jabbahop
View attachment 743464The combined power of the front and rear motors of the raven performance at 110 mph is about 500 kw (172.5 + 330.5). That's about 670 hp which is the combined hp of the refreshed model s long range. So up to 110 mph the raven will pull harder than the refresh model s. Because the refresh has two of the permanent magnet motors its horsepower will not fall off as fast as the raven's, and the refresh will pull harder after 110 mph.

The refresh is a little lighter and has less aerodynamic drag so that should help it somewhat.

The refresh has two 335 hp motors, but during acceleration the weight shifts to the rear wheels so you can't make use of the full torque of the front motor without spinning the front tires. Once the speed is high enough that the front wheels are no longer torque limited, full use of the 335 hp becomes possible. During hard acceleration they only seem to be able to send about half as much torque to the front wheels as they do to the rear.
I dont think you need 110mph to see the difference. I've seen a simulated race between the two from 50mph rolling and the 2022 LR pulls on the Performance. The 1/4 mile times are almost the same between the two: high 10s and 130mph. 0-60 is faster on the Performance. 60-120 is faster on the LR. Overall I would probably consider them a tie but it really depends on what speed you race them. 50mph+ LR will win, below 50mph Performance will win.

Many suspect that the LR is being launched a bit softly to broaden the gap with the Plaid. You are the first one that mentioned that the front motor is being held back. Is there any information on that?

Last edited:
I created an extensive comparison between the 2021 S LR+/Performance and 2022 LR/Plaid here: Model S Comparison for 2021 – TeslaTap The 2021 LR+ is really the same as the 2020 100D, just renamed.

I've also owned a late 2016 S (almost the same as the 100D) and the 2022 S. While they look similar, I'd estimate less than 10% of the car is the same. This is no minor tweak. Body panels, the frame, glass, drivetrain, battery, HVAC, computer modules, displays, wiring harness, lights, suspension, and the entire interior have all been upgraded and changed. I think the side mirror housing may be the same. Now the 100D is a great car too, and if priced right might be well worth considering - just these are really quite different cars.

Reactions: Jpandes
I created an extensive comparison between the 2021 S LR+/Performance and 2022 LR/Plaid here: Model S Comparison for 2021 – TeslaTap The 2021 LR+ is really the same as the 2020 100D, just renamed.

I've also owned a late 2016 S (almost the same as the 100D) and the 2022 S. While they look similar, I'd estimate less than 10% of the car is the same. This is no minor tweak. Body panels, the frame, glass, drivetrain, battery, HVAC, computer modules, displays, wiring harness, lights, suspension, and the entire interior have all been upgraded and changed. I think the side mirror housing may be the same. Now the 100D is a great car too, and if priced right might be well worth considering - just these are really quite different cars.
Agree it is the 100D. I did look at your page and that's pretty cool.

But if we are talking about performance then there is a decent improvement in both the new LR (prior 100D/LR+) and Plaid (prior Performance). Not only did the new ones shed about 300lbs, they also gained 100-200hp. I believe the leap is big enough that the new LR is as fast as the old Performance.

Again the old performance definitely had a better 0-60 compared to the new LR.....but if you look at 60-120 the new LR is much stronger. Their 1/4 mile stats are pretty much identical with the LR continuing to pull harder at higher speeds.

Many feel the new LR is being software limited on the initial launch based on how well it performs after about 30mph. Here's to hoping Tesla releases a boost upgrade.

Reactions: Jpandes
I have a 2020 MS LR+ (not Performance) and I'm glad I bought when I did. Sure, the 2022 is faster, but it also costs more. The 2020 is plenty fast for me.

I haven't driven a 2021, but I don't think I'd like the yoke. This is a daily driver for me, not a track car. I think the worst part is having no controls on the stalk -- way too much to re-learn, especially when I have to drive one of my other vehicles.

I also prefer the screen embedded in the dash -- looks so much better. I guess a horizontal screen would be much better when watching Netflix in the car, but that's a rare occasion for me.

I suggest test driving them both if you can.
Refresh is faster, charges faster, has more range, quieter, the suspension performs better, nicer interior, faster touch screen....basically better in every way.

I personally hate the vertical screen and UI11 doesn't work well on it. The horizontal screen is a massive improvement IMO.