TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2020 P3D+ Seat Issues

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Scubachop, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Scubachop

Scubachop New Member

Just took possession of a 2020 P3D+ a few days ago. I'm upgrading from a 2019 Model 3 AWD with same interior and exterior setup and still have possession of it so I'm able to compare the two apples-to-apples. There is a noticeable quality reduction in the 2020 model. The 2020 has paint defects and a couple if interior scuffs but something really bothering me is the seat cushions. The stuffing and stitching appears to be worse on the 2020.

The 2020 seat corners don't appear to be fully stuffed and they're kind of loose feeling overall The 2019 seats are more filled out and tighter giving a much nicer look and feel. Wondering if anybody else's seats look like my 2020 and if I should bring it up to the dealership.

The two pics with orange circles are the 2020. The other two are the 2019 for comparison.

Attached Files:

2. onshi

onshi Member

I can't compare the feeling of the cushioning because this is my first Model 3, but I do have the same stitching issues on the rear seats of my 2020 Model 3. I was annoyed with myself for not noticing it during my delivery day inspection, but in my defense I had to inspect the car in a torrential downpour and was distracted by the more visible exterior quality issues on my car.

3. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Personally my 2020 seats look and feel fantastic.

• Like x 1
  4. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Are you trading in the other model 3? I’d swap the seats. It takes like 2 minutes...

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

I have a 2020 M3 Performance. My seats look fine, just like your 2019 pictures. I spent a lot of time washing and detailing it today. I came across a handful of paint defects, but nothing really bothersome.

6. Scubachop

Scubachop New Member

Yeah I'm going to sell it... just waiting on the title. Swapping seats is easy to do?

7. Tony D.

Tony D. Member

take a hairdryer and shrink the leather by working it over the wrinkles for 2-3 minutes, takes even less time than completely swapping out the seats :D

8. bpobill

bpobill Member

Its not leather. I would be a little cautious about doing that myself. Thats a very visible area if it gets messed up. Way easier to swap out.

9. SGM1980

SGM1980 Member

My 2020s are fine. It's a LR AWD, but i can't imagine the seats are from different lines for the performance.

10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Agreed.

11. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

They are not different exact same seats.

12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

On the rear cushion, yea. You just pull up firmly on the front edge on each side and it pops up and then forward. There should even be a few videos of it on youtube.

• Like x 1
  13. adrianp89

adrianp89 Member

I want to know who can swap seats in two minutes. While probably pretty easy, you probably won’t even get all the bolts out in one seat in two minutes

• Disagree x 2
  14. Scubachop

Scubachop New Member

There are no bolts. Just swapped them out and it was really quick. Thanks a ton for the advice on that!

• Like x 2
  15. adrianp89

adrianp89 Member

really? Do they just click in or something?

16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

He just popped out the seat bottom cushion. Did not need to take out the entire seat.

17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Yes. Virtually every rear bench seat bottom since at least the ‘60s just pops in with no tools.