Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Performance Missing Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model Y Performance has never showed 300 miles range at 100% charge. Brand new it showed 273. After 2 years and 17,000 miles, a full charge now indicates 265 miles. I asked Tesla and they originally said it would improve with driving as the BMS re-mapped things. After a year, I was told they ran diagnostics on the car and the battery had no faults, appeared normal and was functioning as designed. I continued emailing and got ridiculous suggestions about driving habits, weather etc. I explained it should SHOW 300mi. /100% and my driving will dictate things from there. My norm has been 260-275 since new. 300 is a dream for me! Anyone have similar tales?

Thanks boys & Girls!

There is no satisfactory answer to this question for you, particularly 2 years later.

265 displayed miles is well within the range of normal for a 2 year old car. Tesla isn't gonna give you the time of day until you're down 30% from what the car was rated at when new.

270ish when new, isn't 300mi. My 2018 Model 3 advertised 325mi. when new. It indicated 333 and declined to 320 after 2 years. My Y has never been close to the advertised 300. Those missing miles are noticeable on long road trips.

You have a 2020 MYP but do you have the PUP? The 2020 MYP with PUP is only rated at 280 miles of range. Without the PUP it is rated at 315. Assuming you have the PUP your range would need to be less than 200 miles before Tesla would do anything under warranty with the battery. Tesla guarantees 70% original capacity. If you have the PUP the range your seeing is well withing normal degradation for 2 years. At 265 that's only about 5% degradation after 2 years. The first year is usually when most of it happens. 5% after two years is really good actually.

If you don't have the PUP I would probably be a little concerned but you would still be far away from a warranty claim. MYP with no PUP would need a range of 220 or less in order to get warranty replacement.

Performance upgrade package includes like larger brakes, the larger 21-in wheels stainless steel pedals. In 2021 they made the performance upgrade package standard and a lot of people didn't like that. But in 2020 the performance model came and standard configuration just like the long range. And if you wanted all those extra performance goodies, you added the performance upgrade package but that also reduced the range.

So now what's popular is a lot of folks who get the performance model myself included. Will switch to 19 inch wheels. Some even smaller 18 in wheels gives better range and more ride comfort.