Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Performance or new Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison, right now I drive a 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (plus a tune), around 90,000 miles; 0-60 in maybe 4 seconds. I live in two cities. In the other city I have a Jeep GC with 175,000 miles that may not last too much longer. Likely, I would send the Porsche to city #2 and buy a new (or new used) car for city #1. Any car I buy must have strong "performance." Both 0-60 times and handling are big deals to me. I tool a look at Teslas a while back (2018, if I recall correctly). I liked the handling of the 3, but it was too small for my needs and I found the seats to be uncomfortable. The Y did not exist yet. I liked the size of the X and S, but not the handling of either one. I hear the handling of the X has improved, but given the size is still not great. I hear that the 2020 S handles well. Ditto the new Plaid. I have not had the opportunity to drive either one, yet. First, can people confirm either or both of these views? Secondly, if both handle well, I am more inclined to the 2020, partly because it would be cheaper, and partly because it has a full-sized steering wheel. I would be grateful for feedback. BTW, the Porsche Taycan in the version I would want is too expensive, the range is underwhelming, and I am not sure the charging network has "arrived" yet for non-Teslas, though that day is surely coming.

For comparison, right now I drive a 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (plus a tune), around 90,000 miles; 0-60 in maybe 4 seconds. I live in two cities. In the other city I have a Jeep GC with 175,000 miles that may not last too much longer. Likely, I would send the Porsche to city #2 and buy a new (or new used) car for city #1. Any car I buy must have strong "performance." Both 0-60 times and handling are big deals to me. I tool a look at Teslas a while back (2018, if I recall correctly). I liked the handling of the 3, but it was too small for my needs and I found the seats to be uncomfortable. The Y did not exist yet. I liked the size of the X and S, but not the handling of either one. I hear the handling of the X has improved, but given the size is still not great. I hear that the 2020 S handles well. Ditto the new Plaid. I have not had the opportunity to drive either one, yet. First, can people confirm either or both of these views? Secondly, if both handle well, I am more inclined to the 2020, partly because it would be cheaper, and partly because it has a full-sized steering wheel. I would be grateful for feedback. BTW, the Porsche Taycan in the version I would want is too expensive, the range is underwhelming, and I am not sure the charging network has "arrived" yet for non-Teslas, though that day is surely coming.
One thing I will say having driven the Taycan and new Model S, the Porsche is in a different class.

And the real-world range for the Porsche far exceed the EPA estimates. Versus the Tesla range which is highly, highly overestimated.

Take that for what it is worth.

One thing I will say having driven the Taycan and new Model S, the Porsche is in a different class.

And the real-world range for the Porsche far exceed the EPA estimates. Versus the Tesla range which is highly, highly overestimated.

Take that for what it is worth.
Ditto on the Taycan. Drove the Taycan 4S and the handling and feel is a lot more solid than the new MS.

Still ended up going with the MS LR as I couldn’t justify/afford the $20k premium on the Taycan 4S, let alone the fancier trims. However, coming from a Mercedes, I miss all the bells and whistles of a German luxury car.

Any thoughts on comparing the 22 Lr vs plaid? The 2020 performance vs the plaid are quite a large price difference and interior experience apart. The Long range basically rivals the taycan turbo S minus launch control.

Ditto on the Taycan. Drove the Taycan 4S and the handling and feel is a lot more solid than the new MS.

Still ended up going with the MS LR as I couldn’t justify/afford the $20k premium on the Taycan 4S, let alone the fancier trims. However, coming from a Mercedes, I miss all the bells and whistles of a German luxury car.

Any thoughts on comparing the 22 Lr vs plaid? The 2020 performance vs the plaid are quite a large price difference and interior experience apart. The Long range basically rivals the taycan turbo S minus launch control.
The 2021/2022 LR was a great bargain at $79K. At close to $100K now, not so much. Too many issues with software, build quality, and drivability for a vehicle costing that much.

I wouldn’t touch a 2020, or Legacy Model S, with a 10 foot pole. These are headed straight to the AP1 graveyard. No more meaningful software updates and build quality and materials on those was always sub-par. Add to the fact they are waaaaaaay overpriced at the moment (same as any used vehicle).

I think the cost:value prop is still with the MY for now. But even that is starting to go away.

Thanks for the feedback. Not sounding good for the 2020. Glide when you say you drove the Taycan and the new model S was it the Plaid or the regular version? If I had a bigger pocketbook, I might go for the Taycan but in the trim I would prefer it is out of reach.

Thanks for the feedback. Not sounding good for the 2020. Glide when you say you drove the Taycan and the new model S was it the Plaid or the regular version? If I had a bigger pocketbook, I might go for the Taycan but in the trim I would prefer it is out of reach.
I have a 2021 Refresh LR. The extra $30K for an additional motor did not make sense to me.

Reactions: Proppilot
I had a 2017 P100D (aka Performance) and switched to a Plaid. I was also considering a Taycan Turbo instead of the plaid and test drove one.

2020 Perf vs Plaid, the Plaid's performance and interior are much improved. The mid range acceleration on the plaid is crazy. The new interior is gorgeous. Lots of other things are worse though. The software sucks on the plaid, tons of bugs and missing features. The open question is will these be fixed and conversely how quickly will the 2020's software become unusable. The HVAC in the Plaid is also completely awful. As for the Yolk vs Wheel, there have been books written on that, but I don't have a strong preference one way or another. The yoke is more comfortable and looks cool, but the touch buttons suck.

Plaid vs Taycan, the Taycan handles way better, but the Plaid's acceleration is in a different league than the Taycan Turbo. From a standstill its not a huge difference, but from say 30-60 or 60-80, the plaid is just insane. Tesla has way better software, and the supercharger network is leaps and bounds better than EA's network. The Taycan also gets way more looks, which is both good and bad. End of the day though, I needed a family car and the Taycan was too small for me.

I am a little surprised that owners of the 2020 do not get updates. That must kill resale values in time, no? What is to keep that from happening to the Plaid? One nice thing about Porsche is they take care of their customers.

I am a little surprised that owners of the 2020 do not get updates. That must kill resale values in time, no? What is to keep that from happening to the Plaid? One nice thing about Porsche is they take care of their customers.
Nothing. The Plaid is going to be obsolete one day too. Same with the Taycan though.

As with all technology, eventually there is an EOL/EOS period.

Pre-refresh Model S cars still get updates. No, my 2019 Performance can't put on a light show, my side view cameras don't display when changing lanes (and I am stuck with an actual (gasp!) steering wheel), but I still get regular over the air updates. Not sure what above poster meant by 2020 or earlier models going to "AP1 graveyard." My 2019 has HW3. One has to go back pretty far to be stuck with AP1 (2015?).

Some of the updated features on the refresh Model S are certainly an upgrade. Wish my car had ventilated seats, for example, and plaid performance is mind-blowing (although car is severely under-braked). Pre-refresh models still have much to offer and enjoy (an actual turn signal stalk!), and my non-plaid performance will still humiliate 99%+ of the cars on the road if tested.

Taycan would be a very tempting alternative if I were car shopping today. I'd probably stick with Tesla, which is more roomy inside, works just fine for a daily driver (not doing laps on a track) and comes at a better price point.

MSP 2020 is still a beast and can smoke almost everything on the road. The advantage of the Plaid or even better Non Plaid 2022 is the tech. The 2020 will feel old compared to the new ones (BTW I own a 2018). If I were in a position to purchase a Model S, I would opt for the 2022 refresh non-Plaid. Still amazing performance compared to most cars out there and you will have the newest tech and no regrets. Other than not having bragging rights you would not be sacrificing anything. Oh yeah did I mention theres a lot you can do with an extra $30K.

I have personally had many different cars - also owned a Cayenne Turbo (2008) that I put 174k miles on, Cayman S, GT3 (2006), AMG CLK32, was in line for a Taycan...
But it ALL changed when I got our Perf Y and then the world shifted when I got my Plaid. Cancelled my Taycan order immediately.
Nothing compares to the Plaid, I do a lot of highway driving and it absolutely levels anything else out there.
The handling is not the same as a Porsche, but it's not missed. The interior is much better than the pre-refresh and it feels like going back in time just going to the round wheel in our Y after driving the yoke.
In short, if you can afford the Plaid, it is worth it.

Reactions: Maybeplaid
You might consider the S LR. It is no slouch in acceleration. It isn't that much behind the Turbo Taycan. If you look at the 1/4 mile times, the Taycan Turbo is about mid 10's at 130 mph and people here are getting about 10.8 @ 130. The current LR is a bit slower to the past performance models to 60 but definitely stronger above.

Tesla quotes 0-60 in 3.1 and that is taking into account rollout. So if you compare to the Plaid it would be the about 2.8,2.9 when factoring our rollout. There are not a lot of cars that will be quicker on the street than even the LR.

To put the 0-60 time in perspective for the LR, it is about as fast as a Lambo Huracan or a Ferrari 812 Superfast. So while slower than the Plaid, it isn't exactly slow. Even at its current pricing, it is a pretty good deal but for some it might be worth the extra 30k for the Plaid. I rarely can use the power of the LR as it is based on traffic so whether I could get to 60 in 2 or 2.8 sec is something that looks more important on paper than in real life.

Reactions: leonwu