Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo Gets EPA Range Rating Of Just 201 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not a priority for Tesla because it is not a sexy functionality. "Tesla can fart" gets a lot more media attention than "Tesla can read your text". Worse, "Tesla can read your text" makes people ask "what? it couldn't do what my 10 year old Lexus can do until now?", so opposite of sexy.

Didn't see you in the thread about the Latest Holiday FW Update
"Your Tesla can Now Read Your Text"
Better Late than Never, Also some additional Voice Commands added. See Electrek Article
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/23/tesla-massive-new-update-text-message-reading-autopilot/

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: whitex and Ken7
Didn't see you in the thread about the Latest Holiday FW Update
"Your Tesla can Now Read Your Text"
Better Late than Never, Also some additional Voice Commands added. See Electrek Article
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/23/tesla-massive-new-update-text-message-reading-autopilot/
Finally! Tesla can do some of what other cars could do 10 years ago. Well, my Tesla doesn't, but my wife's just got an update so it probably can do it (she would like it). Mine is an MCU1 car, with a dying emmc, so I'm stuck on 2019.32.12.3 with the latest 2019.40.2.3 downloaded, but updating it would cause the MCU to switch to the emmc partition which has problem booting (sadly, the software keeps downloading newer updates, further wearing out the emmc, even though I've been refusing the updates). Letting it update would likely result in me having to pay $3K+ to replace the MCU, so even if 2019.40.50 gets stages, it would be a very expensive upgrade to be able to read texts.That is if MCU1 cars even have this text sync feature.

Anyone with MCU1 who has it working?

Finally! Tesla can do some of what other cars could do 10 years ago. Well, my Tesla doesn't, but my wife's just got an update so it probably can do it (she would like it). Mine is an MCU1 car, with a dying emmc, so I'm stuck on 2019.32.12.3 with the latest 2019.40.2.3 downloaded, but updating it would cause the MCU to switch to the emmc partition which has problem booting (sadly, the software keeps downloading newer updates, further wearing out the emmc, even though I've been refusing the updates). Letting it update would likely result in me having to pay $3K+ to replace the MCU, so even if 2019.40.50 gets stages, it would be a very expensive upgrade to be able to read texts.That is if MCU1 cars even have this text sync feature.

Anyone with MCU1 who has it working?

Did you not know about the lack of text reading when you purchased your four Teslas?

• Funny
Reactions: DrtyJrze and Ken7
Did you not know about the lack of text reading when you purchased your four Teslas?
Yes I did. I was counting on the software SDK vaporware Elon promised would allow me to write my own apps for my Teslas, and of course others to write and sell apps for such glaring functionality gaps like text integration. Still waiting for the SDK, it's been 6 years now since Elon said "it's coming soon".

Yes I did. I was counting on the software SDK vaporware Elon promised would allow me to write my own apps for my Teslas, and of course others to write and sell apps for such glaring functionality gaps like text integration. Still waiting for the SDK, it's been 6 years now since Elon said "it's coming soon".

It will happen as soon as you sell your Teslas and move on.

• Funny
Reactions: Ken7
Indeed! Because we both know you will never sell your Teslas and move on. You enjoy complaining about them too much. ;)
It sounds too me like you are suggesting FSD will never happen because I won't sell my Tesla. Is this a new fanboy media strategy - blame Tesla failures on people who point them out but won't get rid of their cars before Tesla delivers everything they sold? I guess I can see some logic there, if everyone who is tired of waiting for the features they paid Tesla for would just get rid of their cars, Tesla would never not underdeliver. Self Flying Option for the Model 3, getting impatient about the car not flying yet, sell your car at a fraction of what you paid, and absolve Tesla of all obligations. You should suggest that to Elon, works better than redefining the feature to be something completely different, like when Tesla redefined FSD to consist mostly of features previously included in EAP, and almost none of the features originally advertised with FSD.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SO16
Back on topic. Porsche delivered its first Taycans in the US. Customers love them so far. Taycan Turbo allocations reportedly maxed out at the moment. 4S allocations for first half of next year can still be found. It makes sense, Telsa doesn't really have a competitor for Taycan Turbo - smaller sized, high performance EV with features Tesla never offered (like CarPlay, night vision, HUD, surround vision, sound insulation, luxury interiors, etc) - very pricey but I suspect that is the market it is aiming for, lower range but I don't think people who buy them care (they are usually not their only car). For value shoppers however, 4S will be compared with P100D, with 4S having more available features but P100D having higher performance, higher range, bigger car (which can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending for whom).

Personally I will go check out the Taycan, but over the holidays I had to do some shopping and one of the times I looked at all the stuff I managed to pack into my Model S and thought to myself, what would I do if I had a Taycan? Then I remembered that when I used to drive a Porsche 911, but I had to keep 2 cars to make it work - the other one was a Toyota 4Runner. Porsche was the daily driver, and Toyota was for bigger shopping. Such 2 car solution will not work for me now. So, might have to wait for the Audi GT, or at least the Taycan Tourismo.