Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo Gets EPA Range Rating Of Just 201 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For range I'm going to wait to see for when Car and Driver does their 75mph range test. That's way more applicable to my wants than the EPA range.

With that being said it's really difficult to even want a Porsche Taycan reading the current Car and Driver overview of it. The reason is Porsche is charging people for ridiculously tiny options like "Porsche's Intelligent Range Manager" for $300. WTF? When I had my Model S this was simply called Range mode.

And, it just goes on and on. If you want to charge quickly at a 400V DC charger it's going to be another $460.

Oh, and if you want the car to slow down before a curve while in adaptive cruise control mode that will be another $3610 on top of the $2050 Adaptive Cruise Control options. The funny thing about this is it's a Porsche Taycan. Why slow down for corners?

By far the funniest thing about the Porsche Taycan is it offers Apple Play, but not Android Play. I think that speaks volumes about the customers its catering to. :p

Note: I have an iPhone so the joke is also on me.

I really don’t pay that close of attention, but I pace, e tron, and now Porsche all have such little range. Number 1 most frequently asked question I get from strangers is “So how far can you go on a charge?” It totally doesn’t matter for 99.9% of the days I drive the thing, but that’s the big question. You show up to market with a car that can barely eek out 200 miles, that’s going to suck.

If they priced it on par with P100D, they'd get probably get some more meaningful sales, especially from those who want tech options not available in Tesla
You'll continue to get downvoted for those comments but that is the reality isn't it, we've often said that when it comes to batteries and motors Tesla are way out in front, in other aspects they are worse than a $20K Korean car with no improvement in sight. The Taycan fills that gap and that is why it will sell perfectly fine even with the disappointing range.

You'll continue to get downvoted for those comments but that is the reality isn't it, we've often said that when it comes to batteries and motors Tesla are way out in front, in other aspects they are worse than a $20K Korean car with no improvement in sight. The Taycan fills that gap and that is why it will sell perfectly fine even with the disappointing range.
Yea, I would trade the Taycan range and charging infrastructure for the tech features, parts and service Tesla owner can only salivate over (heck, I was happy with a Tesla S60 without a supercharger within 100% range or my house, so I know it can be done just fine). My biggest concern is storage space - I don't have room to keep an extra car, when I was single I did keep 2 cars for myself, like a Porsche 911C4 and a Toyota 4Runner, but where I live now and with the family parking gets super tight (was briefly hoping Tesla FSD would allow me to automatically move cars around, like when I'm leaving the house, unplug and move my son's car out of the way and when I leave park itself back, but that was just Elon's BS). going to go test drive a Taycan probably before Christmas, but might have to wait for the Audi GT. :( On the other hand, I bought my first Tesla on impulse, bored of waiting for the Model X, while waiting for my wife to finish shopping at the mall, I test drove a Model S and bough one (actually put the deposit on the demo car but they called me 30 minutes later that someone else already bough it, so I just ordered a new one instead), so might pick up a Taycan while waiting for an Audi eTron GT ;-)

Reactions: TFCooper3
They will sell, to similar clientele as those who paid $160K for P90D's - which of course that is a limited group, but maybe that is the goal. Range above 200 miles is not as important to everyone. If they priced it on par with P100D, they'd get probably get some more meaningful sales, especially from those who want tech options not available in Tesla, like phone integration (Apple CarPlay/Andoid Auto) to allow phone apps to run on the car's screens, surround view, night vision, dynamic LED matrix headlights, additional noise insulation, ceramic brakes, etc. Not saying everyone is willing to sacrifice range (those people are probably buying the 100D, since even P100D sacrifices range), but some will.

PS> There may also be those who just want their product with all the features on day one, not wait for years for OTA updates to deliver something underwhelming. Or those who prefer a better service experience.

To me Android Auto & Apple Car Play are useless if I have to Tether. There should be a dimmed down Bluetooth version. Plus I don't need it when I have Nav on the Main Screen & Call integration is stellar with the Voice Commands. Just need better text integration, come on Tesla!

Range of 200 is a absolute Joke Porsche. I'm embarrassed of my last name Krueger.
My P100D with 315 is enough for 1.5 times my trip to the Airport when its Freezing cold. So a Taycan would be useless. My "Daily Drive" is 30 miles round trip. But EVERYONE will have cases like the airport where you're just gonna need more. 200 is a Joke, even GM beat you Porsche, but even the Bolt at 259 would be too much Range Anxiety for myself. 5h!t 300 miles or get off the pot, period.

Reactions: axhoaxho
For range I'm going to wait to see for when Car and Driver does their 75mph range test. That's way more applicable to my wants than the EPA range.

With that being said it's really difficult to even want a Porsche Taycan reading the current Car and Driver overview of it. The reason is Porsche is charging people for ridiculously tiny options like "Porsche's Intelligent Range Manager" for $300. WTF? When I had my Model S this was simply called Range mode.

And, it just goes on and on. If you want to charge quickly at a 400V DC charger it's going to be another $460.

Oh, and if you want the car to slow down before a curve while in adaptive cruise control mode that will be another $3610 on top of the $2050 Adaptive Cruise Control options. The funny thing about this is it's a Porsche Taycan. Why slow down for corners?

By far the funniest thing about the Porsche Taycan is it offers Apple Play, but not Android Play. I think that speaks volumes about the customers its catering to. :p

Note: I have an iPhone so the joke is also on me.
Don't forget the $500 "engine sound" .mp3 file option (I wish I was kidding)!
Porsche is the worst when it comes to option pricing, but they know their clientele will pay regardless, they must have the best profit margins by far!

To me Android Auto & Apple Car Play are useless if I have to Tether. There should be a dimmed down Bluetooth version. Plus I don't need it when I have Nav on the Main Screen & Call integration is stellar with the Voice Commands. Just need better text integration, come on Tesla!
How about any ANY text integration, I guess that technically could be called "better text integration" to make Tesla sounds a little more up to date on their phone integration. Heck, their call integration could use help, about a third of the time the BT based Model S integration isn't fast enough to answer a call - I hit answer, and the caller doesn't hear me for 2-5 seconds (it happens in both MCU1 and MCU2 cars, using a Galaxy S9 and iPhone X, so not phone related). As for voice commands, I'm glad the car trained you to speak its language because it doesn't misunderstands me most of the time. Also, Tesla nav is pretty last centrury, but if all you want is turn by turn directions it works ok. Lastly, no phone app integration means waiting on the SDK which Elon said was coming soon in 2013, if you want to run any apps other than nav, oh wait you can run the fart app, I forgot.

Range of 200 is a absolute Joke Porsche. I'm embarrassed of my last name Krueger.
My P100D with 315 is enough for 1.5 times my trip to the Airport when its Freezing cold. So a Taycan would be useless. My "Daily Drive" is 30 miles round trip. But EVERYONE will have cases like the airport where you're just gonna need more. 200 is a Joke, even GM beat you Porsche, but even the Bolt at 259 would be too much Range Anxiety for myself. 5h!t 300 miles or get off the pot, period.
S60 had less range, no DC charging capabilities to speak of (no supercharger network, ChaDeMo adapter promissed by winter of 2013 didn't show up till spring 2015, etc), was slower than a Taycan, had limited warranty, and yet it sold quiet a few - people didn't think it was a joke, and somehow made due with its joke range.

I am curious, what exactly is your usecase to go the airport 1.5 times? It sounds like Taycan would give you round trip, P100D would give you round trip and then get you stuck at the airport? :p I used to work on battery life for phones, and learned an interesting lesson from marketing, the average user doesn't care about hours of use, they care about days of use. A phone which lasts 1.2 days for a particular person has the same value as the phone which will last 1.8 days, since they still have to charge it overnight. Range is similar, you can either make it to the next charging station or not. Skipping a station and getting stranded half way to the next one is useless. Heck, when planning a road-trip in a Tesla for speed, it makes for a faster trip to charge to a lower SoC and charge fast at each charger, rather than charge to full and skip a charger.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and axhoaxho
How about any ANY text integration, I guess that technically could be called "better text integration" to make Tesla sounds a little more up to date on their phone integration. Heck, their call integration could use help, about a third of the time the BT based Model S integration isn't fast enough to answer a call - I hit answer, and the caller doesn't hear me for 2-5 seconds (it happens in both MCU1 and MCU2 cars, using a Galaxy S9 and iPhone X, so not phone related). As for voice commands, I'm glad the car trained you to speak its language because it doesn't misunderstands me most of the time. Also, Tesla nav is pretty last centrury, but if all you want is turn by turn directions it works ok. Lastly, no phone app integration means waiting on the SDK which Elon said was coming soon in 2013, if you want to run any apps other than nav, oh wait you can run the fart app, I forgot.

S60 had less range, no DC charging capabilities to speak of (no supercharger network, ChaDeMo adapter promissed by winter of 2013 didn't show up till spring 2015, etc), was slower than a Taycan, had limited warranty, and yet it sold quiet a few - people didn't think it was a joke, and somehow made due with its joke range.

I am curious, what exactly is your usecase to go the airport 1.5 times? It sounds like Taycan would give you round trip, P100D would give you round trip and then get you stuck at the airport? :p I used to work on battery life for phones, and learned an interesting lesson from marketing, the average user doesn't care about hours of use, they care about days of use. A phone which lasts 1.2 days for a particular person has the same value as the phone which will last 1.8 days, since they still have to charge it overnight. Range is similar, you can either make it to the next charging station or not. Skipping a station and getting stranded half way to the next one is useless. Heck, when planning a road-trip in a Tesla for speed, it makes for a faster trip to charge to a lower SoC and charge fast at each charger, rather than charge to full and skip a charger.

There is NO delay, ever. Question this Delay claim on MCU2... works perfect 100% of the time, Note 8 Android.
It did not train me, just understands that if I say Call Karen & I only have 1 Karen it figures it out, something my 2014 Corvette couldn't even get close to, in fact my 2014 Corvettes Voice Commands were so bad I only used it to demonstrate what a total failure looks like to Passengers.

1.5 times means that's how much range I have to spare.
300 mile range uses 200 in my earlier scenario of the Airport (1.5 x 200 = 300) & this is a 50 mile one way ride! Weather eats Range, you should know this if you own a Tesla, you do correct?
So yes I'd make it with 201 mile range 50% of the time, the other 50% probably not... and whoa cr@p would I have some serious Range Anxiety.

So yes 201 miles is PITIFUL in my Opinion / Use / Need
You're S60 example is Old Tech, like saying our new phone that is coming to market is on par with the iPhone 6... if you said that you'd be called a failure. Period.
Every Engineer at Porsche should hang their head in Shame because they were bested on ALL accounts in terms of Powertrain. and don't even get me started on BMW i3, I believe somebody lost there job over that Joke. Excellence in German Engineering must have Retired...

I would love to be interested in a Taycan, cause all the Porsche lovers over on FerrariChat tell me how great the Driving Experience & Fit & Finish are, but I can never get past that darn VW Bug front end. The Taycan was the 1st non Slug Bug Styled. But I KNOW for a fact that I cannot live with 201 mile range. It is unusable.

Maybe in 3 years when I pay my P100D off & if they've caught up to Tesla (Now at 370 Range) I may consider, heck even if they can get above 300 as I like to try different things but still have my favorites...

How about any ANY text integration, I guess that technically could be called "better text integration" to make Tesla sounds a little more up to date on their phone integration.
This is something I really miss from my older cars, well actually any other car we have in our family.
The calendar integration is good, surely it wouldn't consume too many engineering resources to get 'some' text integration into the Tesla.

You really can't in a Tesla at least not easily.

It's simply a technique hypermilers use.

For average daily driving in an EV I think it's pointless. For example it doesn't work to your benefit coming up to stop light.

In some ways this whole discussion is weird. It's like going to a Ferrari forum, and seeing people talk about using hypermiling techniques to improve the range and efficiency of their cars.

Other things hypermilers do is they get behind large semi's, and they pick small ugly tires/wheel combo's.
it's pretty easy to put it into neutral if you're going to coast for a more than a few seconds. Sometimes I do it when I'm bored. It can be a bit dangerous if you are going slow because you have to hit brake to go back into drive

This is something I really miss from my older cars, well actually any other car we have in our family.
The calendar integration is good, surely it wouldn't consume too many engineering resources to get 'some' text integration into the Tesla.
It is not a priority for Tesla because it is not a sexy functionality. "Tesla can fart" gets a lot more media attention than "Tesla can read your text". Worse, "Tesla can read your text" makes people ask "what? it couldn't do what my 10 year old Lexus can do until now?", so opposite of sexy.

So the fact that you’re even comparing the Taycan’s range, a car to be available in 2020, with the S60’s range, a car introduced in 2012 (7 years ago), is very telling. It’s either a stinging rebuke of the Taycan (which it should be at its price point coupled with its meager range!) or a ‘hats-off salute’ to the S60. However these days we know you only give the middle finger salute to Tesla, so I know it can’t be praise of Tesla. ;)

On your point about Bluetooth, I have no issues answering a call in a timely manner with my iPhone X via the car’s Bluetooth. There was a time, prior to a firmware upgrade some time ago, when I had to play with the volume control prior to answering a call. But that was some time ago.