Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Q4 collections: vehicle faults and snags.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to consider an aftermarket solution to the narrow field of view, I did a write up here:

Wide Angle + Anti Glare Wingmirror Glass Upgrade

Thanks for that. Seems really odd we have to revert to aftermarket solutions. If it just moved a little more outward/right it would be fine. Ah well, I’ll keep it on the list for the Ranger to look at in the vain hope some adjustment might be possible and/or to feedback for future customer. :)

Give it another go. Its not intuitive and gives little feedback. I couldn't tell you exactly where to press (its not a common need for us as we have the Tesla button) but it sometimes takes a couple of tries to get the right spot o_O

The UMC has the Tesla button too, so that should open it if you don't have easy access to something else to test.

I’ll have a prodding session later ;) Will also try the UMC, that’s one more method to test :) It did actually appear as a ‘red triangle error’, but that might have been caused by my many prods :D

6 foot. Could just be me, but i can’t seem to adjust it enough outwards. I was always taught (a mere 24 years ago) that the mirror should be adjusted so that you see a tiny amount of the car and the majority of the road. I’ve had no problem in any other car. I’ll see if a slightly shorter person had an issue :)

That's an odd one that must vary between individuals in practice. I say this because I am particularly short (5ft 6in) yet a good friend who is 6ft 6in drove my car and by some fluke when he adjusted the seat to suit him he found that the driving mirrors were already in positions that suited his view without further adjustment!

That's an odd one that must vary between individuals in practice. I say this because I am particularly short (5ft 6in) yet a good friend who is 6ft 6in drove my car and by some fluke when he adjusted the seat to suit him he found that the driving mirrors were already in positions that suited his view without further adjustment!

It might just be my personal preference, never been an issue in any other car though. The passenger side is absolutely fine, it will adjust out enough to not even have any of the car visible, I have to bring back in a little.

It might just be my personal preference, never been an issue in any other car though. The passenger side is absolutely fine, it will adjust out enough to not even have any of the car visible, I have to bring back in a little.

Yes. Passenger side seems fine. I think someone suggested that the issue was that the right hand side mirror has some different electronics inside which reduces its range of movement - not a problem for LHD cars but it is for us that drive on right side.

Got mine today. To be honest wasn't;t sure what to look for re panel gaps, but everything looked ok. Then discovered that my car has far better panel alignment than the one they have on display in the 'showroom'.

I had a slight scuff at the rear of the car and a couple of tiny chips around the towing eye cover. Most surprising was the plastic trim above a rear for was having loose.
Usual apologies and the scuff and trim were fixed while we wait. They booked in a service appointment for get the chips fixed, which was welcome and unexpected.
Oh and my cameras were working!

Reactions: Medved_77
Thanks for that. Seems really odd we have to revert to aftermarket solutions. If it just moved a little more outward/right it would be fine. Ah well, I’ll keep it on the list for the Ranger to look at in the vain hope some adjustment might be possible and/or to feedback for future customer. :)
It's worth discussing with the ranger. I'm 6"2 and personally didn't find the field of view too bad on the original glass, guess it depends on seating position though.

Drivers repeater camera not working
Oil marks on carpet near the runners at the rear
Mark on seat
Scratching on gear selector
Drivers headlight stopped working for a day (no light or indicator) so car was undrivable, although seemed to have resolved itself overnight. (Tesla reset ECU which did nothing and told me is had to be replaced), not sure if something locked up or if there is a loose connection somewhere.

Drivers repeater camera not working
Oil marks on carpet near the runners at the rear
Mark on seat
Scratching on gear selector
Drivers headlight stopped working for a day (no light or indicator) so car was undrivable, although seemed to have resolved itself overnight. (Tesla reset ECU which did nothing and told me is had to be replaced), not sure if something locked up or if there is a loose connection somewhere.

Eek, not a great experience, sorry to hear of your troubles. I do wonder if any diagnostic test is done at all before passing on to the customer? I may be so bold to say that Tesla just hope you don’t, and they know the vast majority of people won’t, reject the car and pick up issues later. Delivery target met, shareholders happy and they’ll deal with the issues later.

Eek, not a great experience, sorry to hear of your troubles. I do wonder if any diagnostic test is done at all before passing on to the customer? I may be so bold to say that Tesla just hope you don’t, and they know the vast majority of people won’t, reject the car and pick up issues later. Delivery target met, shareholders happy and they’ll deal with the issues later.

No, it was an awful start on my Tesla journey. I knew the camera wasn't working when I collected it as I had a call a few days before saying its broken. But just overall a poor start. In addition to that, the camera was supposed to have been replaced on the 10th December but on the 9th I got a call saying the parts have not arrived so they need to postpone to the 29th December - over a month after collecting the car with the broken camera! On top of that I also had a call the day before I was due to collect saying I can't collect from Chelmsford as the new supercharger were being installed and had to travel to Dartford to collect the car. The car is lovely though so I guess it makes up for all of the issues iv'e had.

I think that Tesla relies on most people taking that view.

I think we are past the early adopters now so it is interesting to see how attitudes to faults and customer service might change.

Me and my partner are currently discussing whether to just hand car back to lease as not up to standard and go with a different EV as having it towed with less than 100 miles on the clock is really not good...

Me and my partner are currently discussing whether to just hand car back to lease as not up to standard and go with a different EV as having it towed with less than 100 miles on the clock is really not good...
It's a horrific start to your ownership, however if the fault is as we believe it to be it should be simple to rectify. If you're happy with the rest of the car I'd put it down to very very bad luck and hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.

It is a fantastic car and appears in the majority of cases to be very reliable.

The passenger side camera on my 2021
LR spec does not work and will not get fixed till the new year, which is shame when reversing into my very narrow drive. However, other than that, I am surprised at just how good the build quality is. Seems better than the (admittedly cheaper) VW Tiguan it replaces which had terrible problems with the automatic hand brake and had to have the software downgraded which only mostly fixed it. Must have read too many horror stories.

The passenger side camera on my 2021
LR spec does not work and will not get fixed till the new year, which is shame when reversing into my very narrow drive. However, other than that, I am surprised at just how good the build quality is. Seems better than the (admittedly cheaper) VW Tiguan it replaces which had terrible problems with the automatic hand brake and had to have the software downgraded which only mostly fixed it. Must have read too many horror stories.

I very nearly didn’t get a Model 3 as the test drive (it seems to be an abused Frankenstein model, performance model with 18 inch wheels and locked in chill) didn’t seem that great at all. On the whole ok pretty impressed with my refresh model. A few issues to sort, but nothing too major. Appears less flimsy than the test model I had somehow. Could just be new car fever though ;)

Picked mine up just over a week ago; This is what I noted at delivery:
- Scuffs around the front Fog-Lights and on Tesla Badge (Decided I could live with these)
- Large Paint-Chip on the front bonnet which had been touched-up quite poorly
- Ding-Dent in Rear Passenger Door-Sill
- Damage to the Rear Passenger Door Seat near the head-rest.

And in the 300 miles this week;
- I've had 3 'crashes', where I've got into the car to drive and there's no Dome Light activation, Indicator Sounds, Easy Entry etc. Before the screen goes black completely. Requiring a two-button reset to bring it back
- Car crashes when loading YouTube or Netflix 90% of the time. Also knocking out the LTE connection for a few minutes when it re-starts.
- I'm unsure if I have a broken door-pillar camera. But when driving at night, I constantly get 'Multiple Cameras are Blocked' and more prominently 'Left Pillar camera is blocked' messages. Even on A roads. However these aren't present during the day.

I took it to the local service centre and was pushed an update early, but the crashing issue occurred once again last night.

I've been scheduled in the new-year for a replacement Seat Back for the rear, apparently it's due to the Dye being used on the Fake-Leather not setting correctly, leaving these stretch marks.
They stated they'd give the touch-up paint a better go on the bonnet when it's in for the seat.

They also advised that for the ding-dent in the door sill, they could fix it if I wished. However with it being on the main-body of the car, they'd have to keep it in for a week or two as they sand it down, fill and re-spray. It's my call whenever to live with it, buy after-market rear scuff plates to hide it or have it fully fixed.

Overall thou a lovely car, and the white-interior has gotten lots of positive comments!

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 36