Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Q4 collections: vehicle faults and snags.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very nearly didn’t get a Model 3 as the test drive (it seems to be an abused Frankenstein model, performance model with 18 inch wheels and locked in chill)

That was probably the base Performance Model 3 - not locked in chill mode obviously. The base Performance use to be sold with an optional Performance Upgrade Pack which was the 20" wheels, spoiler, speed unlock, pedals, brakes and I think a few other things - ie the Performance on sale now. The base performance is sometimes referred to as 'Stealth' or 'P-'. Base performance was probably the sweet spot of the range, especially when a few came through with tow hitch, albeit at significantly reduced tow capacity - but still ok for bikes. It was not too much more expensive than the LR/AWD - couple of ££££ iirc.

The performance sold now includes the PUP along with a price hike over the original base performance. I believe in some regions, the base performance is still available if you don't want the 20" wheels, but it doesn't come at a reduced price.

That actually is probably the base Performance Model 3 - not locked in chill mode obviously. It use to be sold with an optional Performance Upgrade Pack which was the 20" wheels, spoiler, speed unlock, pedals, brakes and I think a few other things. The base performance is sometimes referred to as 'Stealth' or 'P-'. Base performance was probably the sweet spot of the range, especially when a few came through with tow hitch, albeit at significantly reduced tow capacity - but still ok for bikes.

The performance sold now includes the PUP along with a price hike over the original base performance. I believe in some regions, the base performance is still available if you don't want the 20" wheels, but it doesn't come at a reduced price.

Ah right, I see, that explains it. I don’t think the software had been updated in an age either, could be wrong. My car feels a world apart from that one, so glad I persevered and ordered. My other half was dreading it arriving as she had visions of me swearing at it constantly. :D

My list of snags on a LR:
  1. Drivers side mirror doesn’t adjust far enough out, I.e I can’t see enough of the road vs the car. I don’t think it’s user error ;)
  2. Charge port won’t open externally
  3. Left camera not working
  4. Range not displaying the epa rating as per the instruction manual.
Was originally booked on on the 16th December at Leeds, but they’re unlikely to have the parts by then. A ranger is coming on the 24th now, let’s see what they can and cannot sort :)

All good apart from that :)

Did you ever get these issues fixed? My Model 3 Performance was delivered (21st December) with a left side repeater camera not working and the day after delivery the charge door won't open when pressed. I have it booked in at Leeds (2 hours away) and have not been offered a ranger visit but would prefer one.

Did you ever get these issues fixed? My Model 3 Performance was delivered (21st December) with a left side repeater camera not working and the day after delivery the charge door won't open when pressed. I have it booked in at Leeds (2 hours away) and have not been offered a ranger visit but would prefer one.

Hi, the camera was replaced via a ranger visit. He attempted to fix the charge port but then realised it had the heater built in and had to be a service centre visit. Booked in for the 27th at Leeds. Seems there’s a small leak drivers side roof resulting in small droplets on the inside of the windscreen too!

Where do I start? I collected in late November. Most issues noted on collection day.

• Multiple issues with trim - strange white marks on passenger side door. Still not fixed.
  • Passenger seat adjuster jammed shut - can’t adjust seat. Still not fixed.
  • Driver side repeater camera broken upon delivery (was informed of this before collection but told it would be sorted in ‘a couple of weeks’). Still not fixed.
  • Screen staying black up to 1 minute after setting off (obviously stopped doing this because I can’t see my speed) Apparently this can happen from time to time?!
  • Driver side window wouldn’t go down and up properly. Fixed.
  • Driver side footwell trim not stuck down properly. Fixed.
  • Boot trim not stuck down correctly. Fixed.
  • Multiple issues with connectivity. Unlikely to be fixed.
  • Frunk not aligned correctly - this has annoyed me most because I was told by Tesla this was indeed slightly misaligned but they couldn’t fix it and wouldn’t replace it. It’s a minor imperfection but when you’re buying a 40k car, the least you can hope for is that the panels are aligned!? Not sure what else I can do though if they won’t budge? Image attached.
All in all I’m pretty annoyed. I’ve had to drive to a service centre to be told that they could only fix minor things, and then after waiting over a month to get a Ranger, I get a call from him (after waiting in all day) to say that a part has been forgotten so it can’t be completed today.

I know some of these things are minor, but when you combine it with the fact you’re supposedly buying a luxury brand, it’s quite irritating. I understand we’re not living in normal times right now, but they’ve some post-sales customer service. Anyone know how to officially complain?

(PS. Is ~180 miles full range on a preconditioned 2020 M3 SR+ refresh normal?)

Attachments

• 96D9350D-094A-4020-BCB3-AFDAA36FC5C8.jpeg
    96D9350D-094A-4020-BCB3-AFDAA36FC5C8.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 1F673CF8-E411-4BE5-9636-A482C88A16C4.jpeg
    1F673CF8-E411-4BE5-9636-A482C88A16C4.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 41
Where do I start? I collected in late November. Most issues noted on collection day.

• Multiple issues with trim - strange white marks on passenger side door. Still not fixed.
  • Driver side repeater camera broken upon delivery (was informed of this before collection but told it would be sorted in ‘a couple of weeks’). Still not fixed.
  • Screen staying black up to 1 minute after setting off (obviously stopped doing this because I can’t see my speed) Apparently this can happen from time to time?!
  • Frunk not aligned correctly - this has annoyed me most because I was told by Tesla this was indeed slightly misaligned but they couldn’t fix it and wouldn’t replace it. It’s a minor imperfection but when you’re buying a 40k car, the least you can hope for is that the panels are aligned!? Not sure what else I can do though if they won’t budge? Image attached.
All in all I’m pretty annoyed. I’ve had to drive to a service centre to be told that they could only fix minor things, and then after waiting over a month to get a Ranger, I get a call from him (after waiting in all day) to say that a part has been forgotten so it can’t be completed today.

I know some of these things are minor, but when you combine it with the fact you’re supposedly buying a luxury brand, it’s quite irritating. I understand we’re not living in normal times right now, but they’ve some post-sales customer service. Anyone know how to officially complain?

That's pretty poor. I would persist and possibly threaten to reject the car if you remain unhappy with it? You'll find Tesla may excuse some of the panel misalignment as 'within tolerance' which is not a valid excuse but just trying to manage your expectations!

Mine are on my SR+

1) car charging port can't be open manually/externally

2) excessive adhesive on both front door cards

3) condensation on both pillar cameras

4) condensation to both rear light clusters

5) Dashcam icon keeps dissapearing (have to unplug then plug back in to work)

6) no mudflaps fitted or supplied.

All in all I'm pleased with the car I see these as not major but obviously a little annoying on a new car.
Sc booked for 29th this month
On a good note not a single alignment issue, which is something I was worried about.

Mine are on my SR+

1) car charging port can't be open manually/externally

2) excessive adhesive on both front door cards

3) condensation on both pillar cameras

4) condensation to both rear light clusters

5) Dashcam icon keeps dissapearing (have to unplug then plug back in to work)

6) no mudflaps fitted or supplied.

All in all I'm pleased with the car I see these as not major but obviously a little annoying on a new car.
Sc booked for 29th this month
On a good note not a single alignment issue, which is something I was worried about.

Yes, those sound like things that should be straight forward to sort out. I don't know how long you've had the car but I found that condensation was more in evidence during the first few weeks ... maybe an Atlantic journey has some part to play but it was definitely less in evidence as time moved on. I see some temporary light misting in a rear light cluster once in a while but it clears on its own (never had the full on droplets streaming down the lens). The pillar cameras get air from inside the car so if there's moisture inside generally (as there's going to be in winter) it's more likely to condense there ... don't be afraid to leave the A/C operating as this will definitely help.

Reactions: Anfieldgaz
After a month of ownership... water got inside all the tail lights, so all the tail lights have now been replaced (inner and outer, both sides) - the car is sat outside in the rain and I only hand washed it once. So the original tail lights only lasted a few hundred miles.

But driving home after the tail lights were changed, the drivers side repeater camera stopped working. So that'll be the next appointment. I'm half expecting the other side will fail.

Tesla must know that all the early 2021 model fender cameras are suspect.

On a positive, the service experience was nice. But they do seem very busy.

Yes, those sound like things that should be straight forward to sort out. I don't know how long you've had the car but I found that condensation was more in evidence during the first few weeks ... maybe an Atlantic journey has some part to play but it was definitely less in evidence as time moved on. I see some temporary light misting in a rear light cluster once in a while but it clears on its own (never had the full on droplets streaming down the lens). The pillar cameras get air from inside the car so if there's moisture inside generally (as there's going to be in winter) it's more likely to condense there ... don't be afraid to leave the A/C operating as this will definitely help.

I originally reported misting in the rear lights and in the pillar cameras, which have now all gone. I need to remove it from the service request. They just need to resolve a couple of very small paintwork issues and a wonky rear bumper now.

The excess glue on the passenger door card I had has come off with some heat and mild cleaning fluid.

What annoys me is that most of the issues I have to go to the service centre for are a function of carelessness or lack of time prior to handover, like missing mudflaps, cut on centre console and then ubiquitous sticker mark on the passenger door panel. I know the zero rattles I have now will be history once they start pulling things apart, which will require another visit.

Still, there are far fewer manufacturing problems than the last one!

Reactions: browellm
I picked up on the 22nd of Dec - attended SC on 23rd to log all the faults with the car. Was given an appointment for 14/01/21 to get everything sorted. I got a text message yesterday (13/01/21) saying my appointment was being moved out to 24/02/21 because the SC were getting an in house body shop that they hope to have up by the 2nd week of Feb.

Obviously a bit miffed that they were pushing out collection day issue rectification to 2 months give or take, i popped over to the SC (I'm only a mile away luckily). Apparently the process if an appointment is to be moved is that they call to discuss - they didn't in this instance. The appointment that I had for 14/01/21 was now not available and has now been moved to 19/01/21. This appointment will still look at paint as the "paint guy" is on site on Tuesdays!

Annoying thing is that the paint issues are scuffs that I know I could polish out with my DA polisher - certainly doesn't need paint in my opinion. I was more concerned about the boot touching the body of the car on the right side (which is likely to cause an issue that does need paint in time) and the drivers door striking the latch very loudly and obviously being misaligned. These issues should be a priority fix and again discussed with the customer to figure out the best time / number of visits required to rectify.

Unfortunately service visits being bumped the day before it was planned is not uncommon. I had it on 2 occasions and never got any other notification other than the text and the rescheduled service in the app. This was pre covid so current climate is not it.

We took collection end Sep. Had a service visit Nov that did not complete work. Rescheduled for Jan, then Feb, then Mar. Due to Covid lockdown, we rescheduled the March visit - just a few days before expected first lockdown and didn't want to risk car getting stuck in service centre during lockdown - in those days, we didn't know what restrictions may have been. After lockdown, it took a further 3 visits. I think it was Jun/July when everything finally sorted and even then, not everything sorted - like condensation in lights/cameras that had previously been inspected and approved but had now evaporated as it was now 30C temperatures so everything in the car bone dry.

I've been bumped to a new slot the day before the appointment too. Only it happened because I called to discuss the problems. I am actually glad I called them though as they wouldn't have been able to do much in the available slot. So its a delay of 2 weeks and given a different type of appointment which will require the bodyshop to work on the car and paint to be corrected, it will take a few days, Im told.

Not what you want to hear but your bonnet isn't that bad to be honest. I mean, relative to other cars with tighter tolerances it is - but in the world of Tesla it isn't.

I can tell you as someone who has spent a few hours realigning my own bonnet after I gave Tesla a go at doing it for me as it was over to one side by about 2mm (me being anal, but it was something that once seen couldn't be unseen) that it pretty much can't be fit perfectly true so the gap is 100% uniform all the way around.

When I let Tesla do it they returned it to me and it looked a bit like a 911 RS with the intentional gap at the front of the bonnet as a design cue. I pointed out that it was more out of whack than when I brought it in and was told that it was "within spec". In the end I did it myself, you can read about my experience here - Forward adjustment on hood (gap)

The white residue is probably from stickers. It will come off, but will need some elbow grease. Again, lack of PDI is the problem here.