Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Q4 'M' delivery club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DB489353-A096-4FEC-A5BD-AFE1467FC126.jpeg
Picked mine up today. Everything great - all cameras working. Very minor things booked in but like really minor in my view. Front wing and door alignment.

Hey guys,

I'm expecting delivery today but according to my insurance company the car has yet to be registered with the DVLA?? Does it just take a while for it to pull through on the system?

They only register it on the day of delivery\collection so it should happen at some point today. My car came about 3 in the afternoon and mid morning it was not registered. Should hopefully come through soon.

I am leasing through Arval and the last official communication I got from Tesla was from the 30th of November confirming the order. I have managed to find out the RN number, that the car was on the Glovis Chrystal and was in-officially told by Tesla that the plan is to have the car ready for pickup on the 22nd. It is supposed to arrive at the pickup location (most likely Thorpe Park) on the 21st but I still haven't heard anything official from Tesla. The Tesla guys told me as this is a lease they don't normally talk to the customer directly. But I believe they do send out the text for the pickup.

What is the shortest notice people have been given for the pickup. Has anyone had less than a weeks notice on when and where to pick up the car?

Okay skip that. Just received the text ;-)

Last edited:
I've copied this from an old post with some additions of my own

1-3 Manufacturer 5YJ = Tesla, Inc.
4 Make 3 = Model 3
5 Body Type F = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Right-Hand Drive)
6 Restraint System 7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
7 Battery Type E = Lithium-Ion Battery - Electric
8 Motor/Drive Unit C = Dual Motor - Performance Model 3
B = Dual Motor - Long Range Model 3
9 Check Character - check character can be anything (obviously)
10 Model Year M = 2021 L = 2020
11 Location of Manufacture F = Fremont, CA, USA
12 -17 Serial No, 6 digits 7XXXXX or 8XXXXX

Typical VIN from Jun 2020 (old model year) is 5YJ 3 F 7 E B 9 L F 754xxx

The highest S/N I've seen is 849XXX - but there must be some higher by now in the US

Reactions: ParHunter
Picked mine up today from the Birmingham delivery centre. Very smooth experience and great service.
Few minor items (driver alignment, paint chip on front edge and both door cards were marked from the protective film).
Nothing that can't be easily fixed by a visit to the SC and certainly not affecting the drive.
What a briiliant car to drive, grinning from ear to ear :D

Picked mine up today from the Birmingham delivery centre. Very smooth experience and great service.
Few minor items (driver alignment, paint chip on front edge and both door cards were marked from the protective film).
Nothing that can't be easily fixed by a visit to the SC and certainly not affecting the drive.
What a briiliant car to drive, grinning from ear to ear :D
Same experience today at Brum. Super collection from a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable crew.

Some adhesive was stuck to the driver’s door trailing edge and there was a minor rub on the front bumper. Flawless otherwise. Everything worked perfectly.

The range calculation was miles off however: but erm, that could be due to a problem with the nut that holds the wheel :)

What a machine! I was sort of prepared for the launch to feel stellar, but I didn’t expect the midrange to be equally, well, electric. As a consequence I will need to work on my economy techniques but it was just irresistible today.

Thanks for the many informative posts on here over the last few weeks, with special thanks to Mr M and his nail biting updates on the, frankly bizarre, shipping movements some of us have had to endure.

Collected my M3LR yesterday.

A few issues on collection - the car was still in transit mode and there were no stone guards / mudflaps fitted. When I queried, they went to fit them and then found they had none available and they had been missed off the other M3's that were awaiting collection! A set are promised by post when available.

Two misaligned doors and a mark on the drivers seat base, so a ranger visit will be arranged shortly. A rub mark on the nearside wing 8cm long fortunately was removed with some Autoglym.

Overall, despite the above, the car is great and all issues can be sorted. I was concerned whether I would like the new 19" wheels, but they actually look a lot better than in the photos. Glad I chose them rather than standard aeros. Interestingly, tyres fitted to those cars with 19" wheels are Hancocks whereas the 18" aero cars have Michelin.

I took delivery of mine on Friday, an SR+ with tow hitch. I have taken my time, and avoided posting to give myself time to thoroughly inspect the car and to digest the situation. Unfortunately my car was just a mess. I have left it with Tesla right now to find me an amicable solution. I might suggest the number of 2021 models with showroom discounts on inventory means there have been a number of other rejections like mine.

The list of issues is quite long, many smaller fit and finish issues that can be resolved fairly easily, either by Tesla or myself. Broken repeater camera, small door misalignments, trim not stuck down properly etc..

The big issues for me however are:
Water ingress: The last few days I have noticed significant condensation on the glass when entering the car. Due to this I looked more closely and found the front floor mats were wet under the accessory mats that I installed. I removed a trim on the centre console and found that under the floor mats the foam was wet and there was moisture and drips of water on the metal flooring. The drivers side appears to be the worst, but both sides have water collecting under the carpet. The car has hardly been used since collection due to the below issues, and it has been raining the last few days so i believe water is entering the vehicle during rain.

Trunk boot alignment. The alignment of the trunk is awful. On the drivers side it is sitting so far forward it touches the paint, this has removed paint down to the bare metal on 2 locations on the body and boot lid. On the passenger side it is sitting high against the wing by 4mm but flush to the roof rail. The gap from wing to trunk is 5mm on one side and only 1.5mm on the other The whole trunk seems like it is completely misaligned like it wouldn't fit the gap. There is strong evidence of prior realignment, with damage to paint on the bolts, paint being misaligned with the bolts so bare metal is showing and additional washers added onto the hinge mountings.

Drivers door alignment. The Driver's door sits high by approx 2-3mm. This results in the door latch hitting the striker off axis leading to a loud thunk as the door closes and leaving witness marks on the latch and striker. Striker plate has damage, 2 large impact marks from fitment. Both door hinges have damage that has removed the paint down to bare metal. The door panel around the latch has damage to the paint through to bare metal.

Rear bumper to rear wing alignment. Both sides bottom edge of the bumper touches the body and this gap opens to approx 2.5 mm at top by the tail light, this is hard to get a photo of but is clear in person.

Door handles- Each door handle is inset by a different amount on each door, the front passenger door is flush, front drivers door inset by 2.3mm, rear passenger by 1.7mm , rear drivers by 2.5mm.

Attachments

• damage to drivers door hinge.jpg
    damage to drivers door hinge.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Damage to drivers door paint by latch.jpg
    Damage to drivers door paint by latch.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Damaget to drivers door striker plate.jpg
    Damaget to drivers door striker plate.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Eneven gap bumper to rear wing.jpg
    Eneven gap bumper to rear wing.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Roof rail damage to paint cause by trunk rubbing.jpg
    Roof rail damage to paint cause by trunk rubbing.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 55
  • trunk extra washer.jpg
    trunk extra washer.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Trunk paint and attempted realignments.jpg
    Trunk paint and attempted realignments.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 62
  • trunk sits high against wing.jpg
    trunk sits high against wing.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 57
  • water under carpets in front footwells.jpg
    water under carpets in front footwells.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Windows misaligned.jpg
    Windows misaligned.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: OttoR and john19951
Which version did you order?
Its an SR+ with tow hitch
Out of all of those issues the water is the most concerning. If its anything like my Mini which has frameless windows, it will be the window alignment that is letting water drip onto the drivers mat.
Its not on top of the mat, the surface of the mats is mostly dry, it was slightly damp under my aftermarket mats (now feel dry after letting it air) but soaking wet under the carpets and the foam underneath. Its wet on both the drivers and passenger side foam under the floor. I will take a look see if i can find anything along those lines, but my suspicion is the front windscreen seals.

I had a similar problem with my Leaf. The first weekend after I’ve picked it up from the dealer (used) we had heavy rain and I suddenly noticed a soaking wet A pillar on the drivers side. It was the windscreen seal. They’ve replaced it and it has been fine since
I've checked the left and right side a-pillars and cant really see anything. It going to need the carpets removed and dried and then someone to hose it while looking for where its getting in, but i'm not doing that myself on a new car, and the earliest the SC can see me is next Tuesday. Phone call to Tesla and they agreed it wasn't acceptable and they expressed concern regarding the battery, but no one has called me back yet.

As for the drivers door, the marks on the hinges and striker plate look like one of the pieces of heavy equipment they use in the factory to install stuff must align on to them, but missed and gouged the metal, possibly pushing the door out of alignment too.

Anyway, probably straying a bit off topic now, but just a warning for those collecting there are still issues.