Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Q4 'M' delivery club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming you can replace their USB with a larger memory SSD, just wondered what the connection was at the car side of things.

You won't gain anything fitting larger recording media. It doesn't use the extra space. Its limited to saved (sentry auto, driving manual) clips in 10 minute chunks and the last hours recording. Everything else gets overwritten, including saved clips in time.

Reactions: LA13
You won't gain anything fitting larger recording media. It doesn't use the extra space. Its limited to saved (sentry auto, driving manual) clips in 10 minute chunks and the last hours recording. Everything else gets overwritten, including saved clips in time.
That's interesting to hear! I figured the larger the memory the more could store. Does it not work as a dashcam in that respect, or just records 10 minutes when you hit the horn? etc

That's interesting to hear! I figured the larger the memory the more could store. Does it not work as a dashcam in that respect, or just records 10 minutes when you hit the horn? etc

It does, but only for the last hour.
4B6BF3F5-86FF-4430-8059-A3A6F0E88970.png

Its a Tesla attempt at rushing out a dashcam, so, like many other Tesla attempts at something you are already familiar with, it doesn't work like you expect.

Yes, only saves drive footage when you tell it to save, ie press the save button in dashcam icon, or honk the horn if you enabled that feature - even the latter is a recent feature. Otherwise it only holds a buffer of last 60 minutes drive, and that gets constantly 'overwritten'.

Sentry is slightly different. It automatically saves the 10 minutes up to and around the sentry event, so normally 10 minutes of nothing useful.

As media drive becomes full, stale saved clips are automatically deleted.

So the only advantage a larger drive brings is that you reduce overwrite wear rate (only an issue on poor quality media) by reducing how often it overwrites. The disadvantage of a large media drive is that it can hold more useless clips and requires more housekeeping if you want to keep it free of stale footage.

Last edited:
I just tried the headlights against a white wall, they are what I can only describe as pixelated. Like lots of boxes. There is a thin dark line between each row of them. When back about 10m from the wall, the boxes of light are very well defined.

There is no cornering or automatic corner adjustment of the headlights .

I wonder if they can do that later with a software update - once they got auto high beam working consistently :rolleyes: There is auto high beam option in lights and easy access menus - in different places, one as a toggle, one as a button next to the light bar. Then its push left stalk to turn on and let it try and do its stuff. Its quite hit and miss, so convenience rather than something to be relied on.

Full beam was initiated be me, couldn't find a auto high beam option , but may have missed it.
Thanks for the upload and hope you are enjoying your new car.
The lights look promising both in terms of brightness and upgradability; what where your subjective thoughts on them on a scale from ‘these lights are rubbish’ to ‘wow, they’re bright’?

Hey Wuddie,

congrats to the wonderful car, I'm eagerly waiting for my M3 here in Germany. Can you post the last 6 digits of your VIN (feel free to exclude the last three of them) and check the manufacturing date on the CoC?