TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2020 Roadster @ Supercharger V3 or Model Y Launch

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by McManX, Mar 4, 2019.

1. McManX

McManX Member

Will it happen? I'd be surprised if it was not a roadster demonstrating supercharger V3.

2. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I really really hope so!
    I'm getting too old for a Roadster- if it doesn't come in 2020 I might not get one! Hurry up, Elon!

3. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

2020 is a long way away. We still should be optimistic, but a sighting at one of the upcoming events would be nice!

4. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I mean, why NOT have it at the Y event, available for test rides to those who put down a deposit? Might as well try and pull in some extra cash that night if you’re Tesla! ;)

5. Olds442

Olds442 Member

the roadster should be at both.

6. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

It might only be there on display, but not with any news or test rides, etc.

I'm half expecting another surprise "one more thing" announcement after the Y, but probably not Roadster related.

• Like x 1
  7. MagnusMako

MagnusMako Member

Looks like the Roadster is already rolling around there pre-event....

RoadsterPreY-Event.jpg

Attached Files:

• Love x 4
  8. McManX

McManX Member

Would love some additional specs tonight but doubtful. Space X package? :rolleyes:

9. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Same! At least an update whether or not the Roadster development is still on schedule.

10. Gra55h0pper

Gra55h0pper Member

Very disappointed about the event from my side. Of course it "showed" but was promptly put on the side of the stage. No update on the delivery schedule whatsoever (unless I missed it?). That likely means it's behind schedule unfortunately. 2020 is just around the corner, so they should theoretically be well under way planning and setting up (initial) manufacturing?

Still can't help but feeling Tesla is not (or: no longer) really *in to* the Roadster. I'm happy to see it's back on the web-site (and back in the main menu now :)) but I'm sure that if it were Ferrari or Lamborghini they wouldn't "neglect" their high-end product/customers like this? :confused:

• Like x 2
  11. Babaron

Babaron Member

Tesla’s website says Model Y will begin to be delivered late 2020. That can only mean that early and mid 2020 will be for Roadster deliveries, right?????

12. TheGrimSweeper

Probably more info on the roadster at Pickup truck announcement in the summer in my opinion.

13. tonybelding

That photo really emphasizes how shrunken and almost vestigial the front of the car is. There's really not much in front of the windshield at all, other than the front wheel wells and a pair of headlights. I don't think there's a frunk, and I'm doubtful whether there's even a hood that opens in the conventional sense.

14. Joerg

Joerg Supporting Member

Probably true. The BMW i8‘s frunk also can be opened only by service technicians with the proper tools.

15. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I was lucky enough to be at the Y event so I finally got to see the Roadster in person, and (fairly) up close. It’s bigger than you think it is.

• Informative x 3
  16. sreams

sreams Member

#16 sreams, Mar 19, 2019 at 10:24 PM
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 10:31 PM
    It's got proportions similar to many mid-engine supercars. Those have short hoods as well.

r2570s.jpg

17. tonybelding

Even in those two photos you can see how the Roadster's front wheels are pushed forward as much as possible, and the nose is more blunt. The Roadster sits taller, which I think can be fairly blamed on the battery pack. This is not a mid-engine car. Although it does look similar, if you examine it closely you can see how they are evolving away from that model. Its design is optimized for the new model, the BEV skateboard layout.

Personally, the more I look at it, the more brilliant I think it is. Then they wrapped all that forward thinking in a relatively restrained and elegant body. I suspect it'll age much better than the rest of our contemporary crop of supercars.

• Like x 1
  18. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I agree- it really looks fantastic. Can't wait. Even a bit of news about how it's going would be better than this silence!

19. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

yes on both counts. it’s a lovely design that will transcend time. and i think we all desperately want to be shown a small sign of advancement in good faith from tesla..........

20. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

How did Jim Halpert get a Roadster!?