TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2020 Roadster vs Fisker eMotion style

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by TEG, Nov 17, 2017.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Sorry about the comparison, but I did see a little similarity:

roade.png

• Informative x 1
  2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

One of these cars appears to be moving fast. The other one is standing still.

• Funny x 9
  3. dss33

dss33 Member

Interesting, and in some ways, absolutely. Though keep in mind both teams have been working on those designs for years and, importantly, they're both heavily influenced by their predecessors (the First Gen Roadster and the Karma).

Perhaps a matter of personal taste, but the Roadster has incredibly more refined and cohesive styling whereas the eMotion (awful name, btw) front feels all over the place and the wheels out of place (design, not position).

• Like x 1
  4. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

Fisker ripped off Tesla's original White Star hybrid design in 2008, so if there's any similarity it's probably just Karma.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think of Henrik and Franz as rivals (basically Franz replaced Henrik at Tesla) and they have somewhat similar design styles. But, I am glad Tesla has Franz now.

6. mdevp

mdevp Member

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the roadster. The rear wheels that are placed as far back as possible, the upper and lower car lines that run along the sides and the pronounced front wheel wells are all similar.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Franz design aesthetic is far superior to Henrik’s in terms of proportion, balance, subtlety, and attention to detail.

8. Tiger

Tiger Member

Same as Model S vs. Audi A5 sportback profile similarities:

[​IMG]

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

And note how Franz Model S design is simpler, cleaner, and more elegant than the A5.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Comparison to NSX:
    RoadsterNSX.png

11. CarlK

CarlK Member

#11 CarlK, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Both graduated from the prestigeous ArtCenter College of design.

Agreed/

Roadster's tail lights are understated and classy. NSX's arduous and a little ugly. MS's tail light design is among the best I've seen too. Franz knows how to do them right.

12. CarlK

CarlK Member

I do feel a little sorrow for Honda though. Honda used to be my favorite company. It has put a lot of efforts in the new NSX and now this Roadster comes out to totally wipe it out.

13. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Would these similarities boil down to the need for extreme aerodynamic efficiency converging the designs?