Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Seats w/ Nonadjustable Headrests vs Older

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car (which has the new non-adjustable headrests) go in for service at tesla and was provided a loaner 2018 100D with the older seats with the adjustable headrests. The first thing I noticed when I entered the car was the seats being less comfortable, I immediately missed the newer seats. They seem quite a bit narrower and generally provide less support (at least for my body type). I also noticed the adjustable headrests are quite a bit firmer than the newer seats which feel like pillows in comparison. While I thought I would miss the old seats configurability, after this experience, I won't be looking back at all. I thought I would share and see if others noticed this difference.

Sounds like they have made some good changes. My 2017 “next GEN” front seats Are too firm for my liking. I would gladly give up My adjustable headrest for more comfortable seats.

Next gen never had adjustable headrests. Only Premium seats which is what OP is criticizing. Premium seats were the first ones made by Tesla. Next gen and prior are Recaro made and very wide, big bolsters and real leather.

I have the seats with the adjustable headrests. I find them reasonably comfortable. My biggest gripe is the fact that I wear jeans mostly and the driver's seat is getting really worn in some spots from getting in and out of the car. Kind of disappointing with such an expensive car.

Ah, got it. Lots of things I love about my car, the Tesla seats are not one of them.

I think Tesla was still learning a lot about seat making back in 2017 and they hastily withdrew buying from Recaro who are a great OEM performance car manufacturer.

I think you could retrofit to the newer seats. Talk to service about the possibility. All the seats should be around 6k. I was quoted 3500 to replace my rear bench last year.

I think Tesla was still learning a lot about seat making back in 2017 and they hastily withdrew buying from Recaro who are a great OEM performance car manufacturer.

I think you could retrofit to the newer seats. Talk to service about the possibility. All the seats should be around 6k. I was quoted 3500 to replace my rear bench last year.
Makes sense. The best seats I‘ve ever had were the Ricaro seats in my 1989 Jetta Wolfsburg edition.

I plan on keeping this car for a while longer, so I will take your suggestion and look into getting the front seats changed. Although according to your numbers both front seats would only be $2500?! That seems cheap. I see no reason to replace the rear seats, especially since both my kids are still in car seats.